Surface Book Unit Running Hot - Cracked Screen: is this covered under warranty?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Surface Book Unit Running Hot - Cracked Screen

I purchased a Surface Book from BestBuy about 6 months ago. The unit tends to run hot, and the other day while using it at my desk the screen inexplicably cracked when I powered it down. There is an "X" shaped crack in the upper righthand quadrant of the display.

It was not dropped, it was running on my desktop in laptop docked mode. It seems to have just gotten hot and when I powered it down, the temperature differential caused the display glass to crack.

Wondering if this would be covered under warranty or if anyone can point me to a provider who replaces display on the Surface Book units.

Thanks in Advance!

Cory

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Surface Book Unit Running Hot - Cracked Screen

I'd be worried, OP -- someone else posted on MS about the same thing happening to them, and MS denied their claim under warranty. You may be paying for the repair/replacement.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site

I had a warranty issue where i had the Surface Book 1 day and when I did the first firmware update it bricked. It was right before Thanksgiving and I wanted it back as soon as possible. Well I purcahsed from Best Buy and they had to ship and it took a week so I figured MS may be quicker. So I got on the Chat in support and they had me try a few things and they decided i needed to exchange. It was the Wednesday the week before Thanksgiving. They emailed me a mailing label and I shipped in a box i had. I went to Fedex at 11 am on Thursday morning and shipped it and I got a notice it arrived at MS on Friday am. I checked the status all week Thanksgiving week and nothing then on Thanksgiving I got an email that it would arrive at Fedex in Orlando on Friday. I switched from them delivering to me picking up. I did as soon as they opened and I had my new Surface Book back. I did the firmware update soon after and it rebooted fine. I've done 2 or 3 more firmware updates since with no issues.

Im not sure if the Geek Squad does the 1st year warranty for MS but if you purcahsed the extended they would do the extended warranty under their warranty agreement.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site

Well you will know if it's a charge before you arrange for it to be sent back to MS for work. So it doesn't cost anything to try (just your time).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro