Monitors work much better with an ACTIVE DisplayPort adapter

DrunkasaurusRex

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure why this is necessary but I couldn't get reliable video output on my dock (screen flickered and sometimes wouldn't turn on), and without the dock I couldn't even get proper resolution from the built in displayport without using an active adapter. Active adapters are more expensive and are much less common than passive so if you're just using any random adapter that you picked up for cheap it's likely that it's passive. I purchased this active adapter off Amazon: Amazon.com: Cable Matters Gold Plated Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Male to Female Adapter Supporting Eyefinity Technology & 4K Resolution: Computers & Accessories

and all my external display glitches went away.

DrunkasaurusRex

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
If by "talks about" you mean "briefly mentions" then yes, it does. I still have no idea what an active adapter is or why it's necessary. Regardless, it'd be nice if they would mention this in the documentation or inform their CS reps about it because I had to file a warranty claim and receive a replacement dock before I thought about using an active adapter.

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Most adapters are passive, meaning they just take the pins from one side of the connection and map the to the corresponding side of the connection. Sometimes the signal can deteriorate from this pinning out of the connectors. When wires cross there is usually signal bleed that weakens the signal. Active adapters add a little power to this equation which gives the signals a boost in signal strength while transiting the adapter. This reduces signal loss while transiting the adapter.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
If by "talks about" you mean "briefly mentions" then yes, it does. I still have no idea what an active adapter is or why it's necessary. Regardless, it'd be nice if they would mention this in the documentation or inform their CS reps about it because I had to file a warranty claim and receive a replacement dock before I thought about using an active adapter.

At 2:26 mark, he said you need an active adaptor for HDMI or DVI monitors. Nothing misleading.
As for Surface Dock documentation, yes, it would be nice if they had it more visible on the package or with the inserts that came with it. But most electronics these days have online documentation.

microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/hardware-and-drivers/troubleshoot-docking-station-surface-dock

krazyatom

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I don't have surface dock. Can I just buy a active display port for my Dell u3011 monitor? My monitor has 2560 x 1600 resolution BTW.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
OP since you bought the adapter in the link, make sure you use a HDMI 2.0 cable, which can support 4K and 60hz i believe. Most of the HDMI cables out there are only version 1.4 or less, which is rubbish :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99