Would you purchase the Surface Book all over again?

Lethal_NFS

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
As of today, would you purchase the Surface Book all over again?

I personally would not spend the money on this laptop if I had a chance to do it all over again. It is a cool device, but for the money I feel like I could have gotten a more powerful laptop with a lot less bugs.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
This will come as no surprise to anyone here, but I would most definitely not buy the Surface Book again, if I had it to do over. SB2 is also not anywhere near my radar, either. I will return to a Surface Pro more than likely, as I was happiest with my Surface Pro 3. Hopefully the SP5 will work out the sleep bugs plaguing the current Intel skylake chips and will be as solid and reliable as the SP3 was.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Loving mine. Got it since Jan. Been getting better after every updates, including the latest ones in Apr and May. Best device for my needs: Office, internet, Lightfoot, Netflix, Blu-ray. Haven't used the pen on a regular basis yet, but will soon give it a try on Lightroom. Gave my SP3 away to my nephew. I dont need a tablet anymore, the clipboard is thinner and lighter, with a bigger and higher res screen.

Lethal_NFS

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
While right now I am not planning on getting a Surface Book 2. I am certainly interested in what it could be. Microsoft will need to make some serious changes for me to jump on board again. I really want the ability to add an internal hdd to the dock.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If you got it directly from MS - demand your money back. I did on a SP2 - got a refund OUTSIDE of the 12 months! - If there is a bug that stops you using the device in the way you want to use it (they are selling something not fit for purpose and you can get your money back. Surface Book 2 wont be as good as it can either, looking at Microsoft (and other tech companies) its version, 3, 4 or 5 that hit the sweet spot.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
If you got it directly from MS - demand your money back. I did on a SP2 - got a refund OUTSIDE of the 12 months! - If there is a bug that stops you using the device in the way you want to use it (they are selling something not fit for purpose and you can get your money back. Surface Book 2 wont be as good as it can either, looking at Microsoft (and other tech companies) its version, 3, 4 or 5 that hit the sweet spot.

I would hope that a follow up to the Surface Book will improve upon the issues with the first gen unit, and I do believe that MS will work towards this goal. They've done some great things with the Surface line and I have no plans to completely abandon their hardware, either. I have owned several generations of Surface units (there are currently 3 Surface machines in my house -- my old SP3, my husband's SP2, and my Surface Book), but collectively, we have both owned the original RT as well as a Surface 2. I didn't buy into the Surface Pro 1 mostly because of the size/weight of the device. The Surface Book has been the first truly disappointing Surface purchase I've made. The inconsistency and basic level of problems that plague every single unit (use cases will either suppress or highlight these) is appalling to me.

The last round of updates (April 19) are what finally made my Surface Book usable and relatively stable again since the fall Win10 update came out in November of last year. I'm still nowhere near satisfied, but the level of progress and stability they've finally achieved makes me not care as much to actually go after MS to get my money back. I have not seen *knock on wood* a BSOD in over a month -- this is fantastic. For me, sleep crashing is the last major hurdle they really need to address, along with more minor things like continued issues with the Intel video driver. At least now, the Surface Book isn't my sole PC and it works decently enough most of the time.

I hope they fix the problems with the Surface Book before releasing a 2nd gen unit, but I won't be completely shocked if they try to sweep it and the SP4 under the rug and move on from both next year.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thats the issue, if you compare SP1 to SP4 its like night v day. Takes resources to fix the issues and seems they dont have enough to fix the issues before moving on. I havent got a SB, went for SP4 instead but the time from date of release to fixing issues is toooo looooong. Surface Book 4 will be very different animal from Surface Book 1. Ive leant my lessons in jumping on the first version hardware from MS - too painful for me, same can be said of the other manufacturer's. If there is something I have leant from sticking with Windows Phone, it is patience.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thats the issue, if you compare SP1 to SP4 its like night v day. Takes resources to fix the issues and seems they dont have enough to fix the issues before moving on. I havent got a SB, went for SP4 instead but the time from date of release to fixing issues is toooo looooong. Surface Book 4 will be very different animal from Surface Book 1. Ive leant my lessons in jumping on the first version hardware from MS - too painful for me, same can be said of the other manufacturer's. If there is something I have leant from sticking with Windows Phone, it is patience.

I can't say I disagree, though that's if there ever is a Surface Book 4. I do know that I will most likely skip the next Surface Book and possibly the next Surface Pro device as well -- at least initially. Not every first gen product is a lemon like this thing is -- I had far better luck with my original Surface RT.

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Rent my computer? Obviously I can sell it if I choose to. I still may end up doing that if I can get enough out of it.
I know what I wrote reads wrong, what I meant to say is - Instead of buying a computer you should rent one, as you can't seem to make a purchasing decision you like. Just rent one, and when you don't like it return it and get another, and so on and so on.

Lethal_NFS

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I know what I wrote reads wrong, what I meant to say is - Instead of buying a computer you should rent one, as you can't seem to make a purchasing decision you like. Just rent one, and when you don't like it return it and get another, and so on and so on.

Rent a computer? Not sure where you would rent a computer, but that also sounds like a waste of money lol. It is not exactly like renting an apartment or leasing a car.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Rent a computer? Not sure where you would rent a computer, but that also sounds like a waste of money lol. It is not exactly like renting an apartment or leasing a car.

Agreed. The notion of renting a computer is seriously bizarre to me. I would never do it. Ever. In a bazillion years. You can't scrub that hard drive without trashing the operating system with it. I wouldn't want to be responsible for THAT on a rental. Heck. No. People buy PCs all the time that they end up not being happy with--it's basically the joy of buying a laptop these days -- you just never know when something new is going to be one big, fat lemon.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I will be renting all IT through Dell at some point (through my company) it makes sense, they take it back after 2 years and replace with the lates hardware (I have an option of owning it after 2 years by paying a larger lump sum but whats the point) its same as company car leasing and most comapnies to this. If I didnt id get a 3 year warranty and 'ahem' the processor would have an unexplained meltdown they cant fix before the 3 years and would have to replace with new one at same cost I paid originally :p

Lethal_NFS

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I will be renting all IT through Dell at some point (through my company) it makes sense, they take it back after 2 years and replace with the lates hardware (I have an option of owning it after 2 years by paying a larger lump sum but whats the point) its same as company car leasing and most comapnies to this. If I didnt id get a 3 year warranty and 'ahem' the processor would have an unexplained meltdown they cant fix before the 3 years and would have to replace with new one at same cost I paid originally :p

Companies might do this, but I do not know a single person that rents a computer. Again, I would never do this anyways as I have too many personal things on my computer. Passwords, credit card info, ect. And if you rent, chances are the company put some sort of block on the computer not allowing you to fully nuke the hard drive.

Ya, im good lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb