Surface Book 2...Should I wait?

originalNYstyle

May 10, 2016
Visit site
I am new to the board but have been following several different forums in regards the Surface book Pro.

As my title states, should I wait for the 2nd version of the SB. I have researched what else is out there that is similar (Lenovo Thinkpad, HP Spectre 15", Dell XP13) and still find my way back to the SB (I have no interest in any Apple products). The version I would end up purchasing would be the i7/16GB/512HD.

Besides the normal use of this laptop (Emails, downloading etc) I will also use it mainly for Photo editing (Photoshop) and some video editing (I normally use Cyberlink Powerdirector) as well.

This what is holding me back a bit:
- Tablet/Clipboard Mode: I would love to see just one USB port
- Removing the Tablet when the power is off, this would come in handy if i am out and about running errands and just want to remove it quickly so I can put in a bag
-4K resolution: Overkill maybe for my case since I do not work with 4K
- 1st Generation model: I do my best to avoid anything that is 1st gen, i understand that this is technically falls under this category but the SB and SF4 have the same backbone plus Microsoft had 3 attempts before as well
MAIN ISSUE - Bugs/Glitches/Sleep: When ever i research the SB this is all i see, issues, bugs etc. I know that MS has sent different patches and updates, has any of them fixed these issues? I would figure at this stage of the game most of these issues would have been fixed or at least addressed.
MAIN ISSUE: Battery life: What is the actual battery life after all of the updates, I know MS claims 12hrs but I want to know what the real world battery life would be (this does not include doing anything heavy like video editing a 15 min film or photo editing 100 pics in photoshop) but what a normal daily use would be, downloading, emails, surfing etc (things you would do in your office)

There has been the rumor that the new processor would be the Intel Kaby Lake processor which would increase performance.

There are probably more pros and cons, so please feel free to give me your honest opinion with what you think I should do. I just want to make sure I am making the right choice, especially if im going to put close to 2800 on a laptop

Thanks for the time

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
You can remove the tablet when it is powered off. You just can't remove the tablet if the battery is totally drained.
Battery life for me has been anywhere from 8-15% an hour.
It's been an awesome computer, but you can always wait to see what SB2 will be and SB will probably be on sale then.

Stocklone

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I would wait.

I plan on taking advantage of whatever trade-in program Microsoft has with the Surface Book when the 2 comes out. It is the greatest notebook out there when it works. When is the key word there. They told me the Surface Book wasn't a first gen product because it was based on the Surface Pro series. This thing has first gen written all over it.

I love this notebook. It has such a gorgeous screen. The build quality is exquisite. I love the trackpad. I love the pen. To be able to take notes on a 13.5" screen and use the same machine to play Falllout 4 is truly amazing. But I have never cussed so much in my life because of a tech product. Every time I think the Surface Book is stable, it throws me a curve ball. And I'd love to give you an idea on battery life but I don't have any consistent numbers to give you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs