Is This A Bug or Is My Surface Book Broken?

Darby3

May 12, 2016
Visit site

Okay this is a display related issue which occurs when connecting the screen back to the base keyboard.

When I attach the screen to the keyboard coming from an angle in front of the keyboard, the display will go black but the computer is still running, so I have to press the lock screen button twice to get the screen back up. But if I come from an angle behind the hinge and twist from that direction it attaches normally with the display still running.

:eck:

I just added a video clip of my problem, the first angle sloping from behind works, but the second angle sloping from in front does not.

Last edited:

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Is it running the latest updates? If the device is under warranty, you can approach MS care center to see if there's any hardware defect or failure.

Darby3

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Yeah on the latest updates, if no one else has this issue I'll probably just take it back and swap for a new from JB HI-FI.

Has anyone else had this before?

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you might want to try one simple thing first -- clean the contacts on the keyboard base where the tablet/clipboard attaches. If that fails to help, then I'd contact Microsoft, as there might be an issue with the contacts in the clipboard itself. The only other thought I have is that if the angle forward is too steep, the machine may be thinking it is closed, thus shutting off the screen (I've never seen it shut off the screen when pulled forward at an angle, so I doubt this, but MS would be in a better position to determine if what you have is a hardware defect or not).

That said, I've had issues since I got my SB with the screen going black but the machine still running when attaching/detaching, so there ARE issues with the video driver and the attach/detach sequence. I've never had it do it with this degree of regularity/consistency, though.

Darby3

May 12, 2016
Visit site
I just gave it a quick clean incase but that didn't fix it, i'm pretty sure its not the keyboard base as if I attach the screen backwards with the screen approaching at the same way it still switches off even though its the other way round now. And the hinge is facing straight up so I believe its not shutting off due to that, a little screen flicker happens.

Who do I contact at MS?

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
...I had the same issue or, should I say, my boss had the same issue.

Battery brightness was set to 80% (ish as they now have names)
Plugged in and charging brightness was set to... 0%

Yep.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre