Frustrating Dock experience with external SATA docking station

meherenow2000

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Amongst other things.

But honestly, having a Surface Book (i5/8GB) and the new Surface Dock is like living with someone with OCD!

I have a couple of external (self powered) SATA USB 3.0 docking stations, different manufacturers but they both take 2 drives a time although I usually only have one docking station with 2 hard drives attached at any one time. These happily work on ANY other machine - I have a couple of other desktops and 3 Windows tablets in the house. Also they worked fine with my old desktop, which was the Asus P1801, quite a pernickity twin display/Android beast but nowhere near as bad as the SB and Surface dock and I've got on quite famously with it for the last 3 years.

Basically if I turn on the SATA docking station while the SB is on it NEVER recognises it, merely pinging me the annoying inserting/ejecting noise every second but it never sees the drives. To fix this I have to pull the Surface dock connector from the SB base and replug it and then the docking station and drives are recognised and work no bother. Also if I safe remove the drives to insert another drive I have to go through the same procedure all over again.

If I turn my SB on first (from cold or hibernate - I've turned sleep off due to the known issues with that plus I prefer hibernate anyway) and then turn the SATA docking station on then also I have no issues, the drives are recognised straight away.

I have tried plugging the SATA USB into every orifice going :wink: and now it resides in my external monitors hub (AOC Q3277PQU), however the result is the same - the SB has the problem as outlined above.

Am I doing something wrong? I've been reading up and I thought issues with the SB and Surface Dock were mostly resovled?

I work with computers for a living so I'd like to think I'm doing everything right on my end - everything is up to date as far as I know.

It's just becoming a pain - why shouldn't the SB recognise my drives straight away without me having to keep unplugging the connector?

Not to mention the total annoyance even if I just turn my monitor on and off, windows resizing themselves to gargantuan size, desktop icons becoming massive, menus in browsers becoming tiny, or my monitor sound not working until I again power cycle the monitor! Again, I've been using my old P1801 (1080p display) on this monitor at 2560 x 1440 with zero issues - even when I undocked the P1801 screen for remote use everything was fine.

I use my SB mostly in this desktop arrangement, the lid is closed so the "main" screen is my monitor, but occasionally I will sit on the couch with either the "notebook" or use the tablet for reading at night.

But bringing it all back together is a NIGHTMARE, even when I haven't touched a thing except to send it to sleep or just turn my external monitor off, nothing is quite right when I switch it back on and sit down to use it - surely this must be solvable, because I love my SB and Surface dock for what they SHOULD be, not for what they are just now :unhappysweat:

Right now the only way my SB and Surface dock work as intended is if I turn the SATA Docking station on first, then open my SB lid and turn the SB on, then turn my monitor on (and set Windows never to turn the display off) - then I can close my SB lid and get on with working on the big screen with no issues. Not a solution by any means! :angry: As soon as I want to change the docking station hard drive, or even turn the monitor off I'm screwed.

HELP!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett