Should I Upgrade To The 512/i7/16GB Model?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I recently purchased the Surface Book 256/i7/8GB/dGPU model for 2,099. I love the device and was pretty blown away even after following it month after month and knowing all about it. It's a great machine and have little to no issues with it. I was told at the MS store that i have 30 days to try it out and if i don't like it for any reason i can return it for a full refund. I definitely want to keep it but am wondering if i didn't get enough storage space. I have 160GB of music/videos/docs/pics on OneDrive that i really just use as a sync machine and want them all stored locally. So i downloaded my entire OneDrive and now i have 43GB free (after the OS, programs, and OneDrive). That's not a lot of space so i really want to upgrade to the 512 model but it's a 600 dollar jump! I have been going back and forth in my head trying to justify this move, like, well if i spent this much money whats another 600 bucks?

I recently went to the store to get the dock and told them my story and they said they would take it back right there and give me the 512 model. I didn't have the box, the receipt, the charger, nothing..they said oh no problem will just take it out of the box for you and swap it. LOL. Guess they are really pushing to sell these and make money.

They were really really pushing me to get the $300 extended warranty and acc. damage protection. I think its a good deal but i don't know... another 300? Is that really worth it? Here is what you get: 2 Years accidental damage (except lost/stolen) for any reason they will replace it for free (minus a 49 deductible) a surface book bag/sleeve of your choice from the store, and Office 365 for 1 year. Sounds like a good offer but i am really careful with my stuff and don't think i need it..i dont have any cases on my phones and never drop them so this seems pointless with the exception of the O365, sleeve, and peace of mind.

So what do you guys think is upgrading to the 512 model worth it for $600? I'm doing it mostly for the storage and not the RAM i dont think ill ever need that much RAM but you never know for the future. Also what do you think about the $300 damage protection package? Good idea or a sucker move?

Thanks

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
You could buy a ninja stealth drive
Ninja Stealth Drive for Microsoft Surface Book ? BASEQI

and a 200gb micro SD card
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultr...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3512959

and spend less than $100 and be ahead of model you are looking at as far as storage.

I have a 200GB MSD card in my 950XL right now. I thought of all these things the problem is OneDrive. I dont think i can get all my storage to sync from external devices to onedrive to other devices. I think it can only be mounted in one place, the internal hard drive. Or no?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Are you trying to sync, or are you trying to carry the data with you? I thought it was the former.

Both Jerry if that makes sense? I want to have my laptop and other device that have 1TB of storage to sync with everything on my SBook and vice versa. I also want to carry the data with me. This is why i dont really care about place holders any more, i have moved on from that. I needed them with my 128GB SP2 but now i really dont, especially with 512GB i wont, 256 is right on the cusp.

I have a feeling im just going to take the plunge and get the ULTIMATE laptop...1TB aint happenin though...3200$ plus tax...whoa

What about the 300$ device protection offer? Do you guys think that is a rip off or a good idea? Again its 2 years acc. damage protection, 1 office 365, and a sleeve/bag for the SBook (of my choice).

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Both Jerry if that makes sense? I want to have my laptop and other device that have 1TB of storage to sync with everything on my SBook and vice versa. I also want to carry the data with me. This is why i dont really care about place holders any more, i have moved on from that. I needed them with my 128GB SP2 but now i really dont, especially with 512GB i wont, 256 is right on the cusp.

I have a feeling im just going to take the plunge and get the ULTIMATE laptop...1TB aint happenin though...3200$ plus tax...whoa

What about the 300$ device protection offer? Do you guys think that is a rip off or a good idea? Again its 2 years acc. damage protection, 1 office 365, and a sleeve/bag for the SBook (of my choice).

How to move your OneDrive local storage to another drive - CNET

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I just did it...2,700$ later...

actually 2,450 with the student discount but still. After returning that awful dock it only cost me about $300 net to upgrade.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
You got rid of the surface dock? I can't even imagine working on this thing without the surface dock lol.

First, it cost 200$ at the MS store and i can get it for just over 100 on Amazon. I would never buy something like the surfacebook on amazon for a price of 2-3K but something that only costs a couple hundred dollars i dont have a problem doing that. Not to mention i can save nearly 40-50% on the dock, when i decide to get it.

Second, the surface dock that i bought displayed colors that were supposed to be either light grey or light blue in text menus in the file explorer or chrome or whereever...they were PINK. It looked like **** and is totally unacceptable in my opnion. I isolated that it was the dock because the mintor that i was displaying works fine with my 2008 Dell XPS 430 running W10 and it also worked fine displaying it directly from the book to the monitor (without using the dock) so it was niether the surface book, the monitor, the cable, nothing except the dock causing this problem. I let them know that when i returned it as well.

When im ready ill buy one off Amazon for about 130 or hpefully cheaper in the future. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12