Using the SB as a desktop replacement & Issues

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2008 Dell XPS 430 running W10 Pro, a 2009 Dell Inspiron 17" notebook running W10 Pro, and a 2013 Surface Pro 2 running W10 Pro. It's time for an upgrade. Instead of upgrading to a new desktop, a new high end ultra book (HP spectre?), and a new SP4, I decided to get a high end SB i7/256/8/dGPU and use it as a 3-N-1 and replace all three.

Here were some of my concerns:

• Killing the battery over time - MS ensured me that once the device is charged to 100% it switches over to using power directly from the wall and doesn't keep topping off the battery, thus killing its capacity to charge over time. I'm ok with this.
  • Optical Drive gone - I would miss one feature of my desktop and that is the CD/DVD drive but i figure i can get a cheap USB optical drive and just plug it in as needed
  • Lack of ports - The hub pretty much solves this adding 4 USB 3.0 ports, audio jack, etc plus the ports on the SB itself

Here are some of the issues i have noticed so far testing this theory:

• Scaling issues - When i extend my screen, or show only on 2 or whatever to my DELL 27" FHD monitor i notice A LOT of things are not scaled right. The desktop icons are HUGE, the little information badges that pop up over the taskbar icons when you hover the mouse are also HUGE, etc. Doing a restart resolves all of these issues and everything is fine. But do i want to restart my machine everytime i dock my SB to another screen?
  • Color problems - This is only happening with the dock and not connecting the display directly to the SB. The colors on the menus of some windows when they are supposed to be a light blue or a light grey are PINK. For example the wikipedia page on the left hand side menu is pink. Any browser does this. I noticed this in other areas as well. Don't know what's causing this (obviously the dock, but why?) but not sure if its something i can live with.

Thats it so far, only two issues i currently HAVE with docking the SB. I'm not sure if this will be my desktop replacement or just another device i use on the go. Does anyone else have these similar issues? And what are your thoughts on using the SB to replace your desktop and/or laptop/tablet?

Cheers

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
About the scaling, is there scaling options for secondary displays? I think you could check that option
About the pink - is it possible to get a replacement dock? Could be it's not working properly - probably one of the pins in the port is not functioning and hence it's not reproducing the colours faithfully - but check the cable too

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
About the scaling, is there scaling options for secondary displays? I think you could check that option
About the pink - is it possible to get a replacement dock? Could be it's not working properly - probably one of the pins in the port is not functioning and hence it's not reproducing the colours faithfully - but check the cable too

Ill probably swap the dock out for a new one, the reviews on the dock are awful have you seen them? https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...F8qrh2npz0s0p%3Fcm_mmc%3Dstore&token=kI_od9M0

There are scaling options but in my opinion its a small glitch/bug because it happens whether im using the pro 2 or book, it also happens on different monitors, also happens with or without the display dock and the fact that almost everything is scaled correctly except a few things makes me think its not a setting...not to mention that a restart fixes this without settings being changed, ill screen shot it.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Doing a restart resolves all of these issues and everything is fine. But do i want to restart my machine everytime i dock my SB to another screen?

Logging out and back in should fix it too, might be slightly quicker than a restart. But the answer is no, we shouldn't have to do this. The problem has existed since Windows 8.0 though so I'm becoming less and less hopeful that it will ever be resolved.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Logging out and back in should fix it too, might be slightly quicker than a restart. But the answer is no, we shouldn't have to do this. The problem has existed since Windows 8.0 though so I'm becoming less and less hopeful that it will ever be resolved.

nice idea, i will try this!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium