Reinstalling Windows on a Surface Book?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I am in the insider program on the latest build and i wanted to go back to RTM 10586.xxx. I installed from USB like i have done many times on other desktops laptops and surface pro 2. I am having a really weird experience on my surface book.

For one all the scaling is all screwed up some icons and text are super super tiny, its a good thing I'm not old because you need a magnifying glass just to see this stuff. And some of the text is hugemungous. I attached a few pictures for you to see.

When i got to the part on "who owns this PC?" everything was in this weird white and black text with nothing clickable except "next". so i clicked next and now I'm on "Just a moment..." and it seems to be stuck. Been at this screen for about 15 minutes. What should i do? Turn it off and then back on? Try to install again?

I don't know whats going on or why i am having this problem it is the same flash drive i used on other PCs and it worked just fine. I even refreshed it by installing the media creation tool and installing the bootable media to the flash drive anew.

Check out these pics...
WP_20160705_20_10_40_Pro.jpgWP_20160705_20_10_44_Pro.jpgWP_20160705_20_12_06_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
After about 15 more minutes i just gave up and force shut down with the power button. When i turned it back on it was exactly where it was supposed to be with who is using this PC and now im at the "Black Screen of Hi"

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I am in the insider program on the latest build and i wanted to go back to RTM 10586.xxx. I installed from USB like i have done many times on other desktops laptops and surface pro 2. I am having a really weird experience on my surface book.

For one all the scaling is all screwed up some icons and text are super super tiny, its a good thing I'm not old because you need a magnifying glass just to see this stuff. And some of the test is hugemungous. I attached a few pictures for you to see.

When i got to the part on "who owns this PC?" everything was in this weird white and black text with nothing clickable except "next". so i clicked next and now I'm on "Just a moment..." and it seems to be stuck. Been at this screen for about 15 minutes. What should i do? Turn it off and then back on? Try to install again?

I don't know whats going on or why i am having this problem it is the same flash drive i used on other PCs and it worked just fine. I even refreshed it by installing the media creation tool and installing the bootable media to the flash drive anew.

Check out these pics...
View attachment 128226View attachment 128227View attachment 128228
don't use the old version of win 10 (e.g. the 10586 something). try newer insider version:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fwindowsinsiderpreviewadvanced&token=8VRTZU2I

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why you couldn't wait about two weeks for RS1, because that's about the time we get the RTM version. Why go to the old RTM now?

But hey, good that it works now. I've never seen this problem and it's good to know that a restart helps, if it occurs.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why you couldn't wait about two weeks for RS1, because that's about the time we get the RTM version. Why go to the old RTM now?

But hey, good that it works now. I've never seen this problem and it's good to know that a restart helps, if it occurs.

because you don't know the full story...im returning it for the 512/16gb model and I dont want my data, MS account, history floating around on some pc...so I clean slated it.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
10586 is the current shipping version...i dont understand, there is nothing newer than this expect for unreleased insider builds...

My point is, is i was on an insider build and wanted to go back to production releases until the office RS1 comes out.
the scaling problem of installation process exists in 10586 but doesn't exist in newer preview builds. if you don't want preview builds anymore, wait some time for the official redstone ISO.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
the scaling problem of installation process exists in 10586 but doesn't exist in newer preview builds. if you don't want preview builds anymore, wait some time for the official redstone ISO.

I just had the latest preview build installed on my maching and didnt notice a difference

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
No just through upgrade path via Windows Update for 14379 i didn't know an ISO was available for that.

As far as 14383 i just installted that late last night and havent tried anything yet

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
try this:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fwindowsinsiderpreviewadvanced&token=3rTb1P5z

make an installation usb and use it to perform a clean install. you won't encounter the scaling problem during the installation process.

I was just talking about upgraded the latest RS1 builds...I had the scaling problems when I installed 10586 from a USB exactly like you said. I don't have a problem with upgrading through WU with RS1 builds. The problem I am having is exactly what you are telling me to do...installation usb and performing a clean install - that gives me the issue.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I was just talking about upgraded the latest RS1 builds...I had the scaling problems when I installed 10586 from a USB exactly like you said. I don't have a problem with upgrading through WU with RS1 builds. The problem I am having is exactly what you are telling me to do...installation usb and performing a clean install - that gives me the issue.
do you see any scaling issue in my surface book during the setup process?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 0

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
please investigate the link I provided to you previously. I am not talking about 10586 ISO. I am talking about insider preview build ISO. I recommend you to do a clean install on your surface book using the insider preview build ISO. that should not be any scaling issue as you can see in the pictures I attached in my last post.

Attachments

• 2016-07-19 (1).jpg
    2016-07-19 (1).jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2016-07-19 (2).jpg
    2016-07-19 (2).jpg
    177 KB · Views: 0

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members