DGPU buzzing and whining noise.

Blairpoll

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else get a whining noise coming from the GPU when playing game at all its not super loud but once I'd noticed it I can't stop hearing it.

It's not all that noticeable when using the device at a reasonable distance and with volume on at about 50% but mute the sound and I can hear it quite clearly as soon as I exit the game the whining stops.

Just want to know if anyone else has this issue or is it just mine if so I might look into getting it looked at.

Before the fans kick in and with speakers muted it's so loud and noticeable it's annoying as hell.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I would think a whining sound that you hear while playing a game would actually be one of the fans. There are at least 2 in the Surface Book -- one on the CPU/Intel GPU and the other for the dGPU.

I have never heard a sound like that coming from my Surface Book while playing a game. I hear the CPU/Intel GPU fan when playing casual windows store games, and I've also heard the fan in the base when playing something like Diablo 3.

Blairpoll

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
It's a very high pitched whining buzzing sound like coil whine it's very loud for the first 10 seconds before the fan even starts it's not the fan contacted Microsoft and getting it replaced.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It's a very high pitched whining buzzing sound like coil whine it's very loud for the first 10 seconds before the fan even starts it's not the fan contacted Microsoft and getting it replaced.

Sounds like a good idea. I'd guess perhaps you have a hardware problem, then. Good luck!

AmineIzumi

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Do you still have this sound the replacement unit ?
I tried on 2 SB in store, and on mine, they all did this. I also had to replace mine because of an unrelated issue, and the replaced one is also doing this. I think it may be coil whine?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett