Surface Pro 7 deal! Save big at Amazon right now

01-23-2017 09:44 PM
61 123
tools
    Hi Guys, I have the exact same problem since the anniversary update. First boot no sound/video, restart ok. Really annoying. I have also tried many things to fix it. Will post any fix I find.
    Lumious likes this.
    08-11-2016 04:10 AM
    Hi Guys, I have the exact same problem since the anniversary update. First boot no sound/video, restart ok. Really annoying. I have also tried many things to fix it. Will post any fix I find.
    Thank you for speaking on this issue! Please please please post it in the feedback hub, upvote my feedback already posted, and tweet to donna. We have to make this issue known in order for it to get fixed.
    08-11-2016 07:38 PM
    Thank you for speaking on this issue! Please please please post it in the feedback hub, upvote my feedback already posted, and tweet to donna. We have to make this issue known in order for it to get fixed.
    Hey Lumious, I may be wrong, but I'm on my umpteenth cold boot since installing 14901, and audio seems to be working every time... Didn't wanna jinx it by posting about it, but what the heck!!! Maybe the problem is fixed... Fingers crossed!!! :)
    Last edited by stephanejap; 08-15-2016 at 09:17 PM.
    Lumious likes this.
    08-15-2016 07:12 PM
    Hey Lumious, I may be wrong, but I'm on my umpteenth cold boot since installing 14901, and audio seems to be working every time... Didn't wanna jinx it by posting about it, but what the heck!!! Maybe the problem is fixed... Fingers crossed!!! :)
    But that is RS2, that doesn't give me much promise since I don't want to wait to Q2 2017 for the problem to be fixed. I know it is only on the Anv Update as I never had this problem on 10586.xxx
    08-16-2016 09:12 AM
    But that is RS2, that doesn't give me much promise since I don't want to wait to Q2 2017 for the problem to be fixed. I know it is only on the Anv Update as I never had this problem on 10586.xxx
    You don't wanna get (back) on the insider program if it fixes the issue? BTW it still works! Just booted cold and sound is good!
    Lumious likes this.
    08-16-2016 07:42 PM
    You don't wanna get (back) on the insider program if it fixes the issue? BTW it still works! Just booted cold and sound is good!
    Yes its fine now on 14901 when they hardly added any features. But what about when there is show stopper bugs in later builds. We are talking a 3K surface book here that I use for work.

Oh and ironically the one thing that does not work on 14901 is one of the things I rely and use for work. Adobe Acrobat reader. I was listening to the MS Power User podcast and they were comparing that to the likes of Netscape and AOL like no one uses it anymore. Are you kidding me? PDFs are still huge and people in businesses use it all the time and the go to app for PDF is Adobe. I guess you can open it in a browser but not edit and do the things you can with Adobe Reader.

Anyways I would go back on the insider program to fix this issue but there is almost certainly going to be more issues that I cannot afford to have on a daily driver type machine.
    08-16-2016 09:23 PM
    Yes its fine now on 14901 when they hardly added any features. But what about when there is show stopper bugs in later builds. We are talking a 3K surface book here that I use for work.

Oh and ironically the one thing that does not work on 14901 is one of the things I rely and use for work. Adobe Acrobat reader. I was listening to the MS Power User podcast and they were comparing that to the likes of Netscape and AOL like no one uses it anymore. Are you kidding me? PDFs are still huge and people in businesses use it all the time and the go to app for PDF is Adobe. I guess you can open it in a browser but not edit and do the things you can with Adobe Reader.

Anyways I would go back on the insider program to fix this issue but there is almost certainly going to be more issues that I cannot afford to have on a daily driver type machine.
    I agree. The thing that worries me the most is the fact that there is no mention of the issue anywhere, in any changelog for the past 2 builds (and probably not even in this one either). Which means that MS is most likely not even aware that there is even an audio problem with their flagship laptop. We just have to keep making noise on that one I guess.
    Lumious likes this.
    08-16-2016 11:23 PM
    I have found that disabling Fast Startup is a work around for the problem. (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings). At least for the last 6 or 7 cold starts I've done. I'm guessing it's a driver load order issue. I'm not using the insider builds.
    Lumious likes this.
    08-17-2016 03:04 AM
    I have found that disabling Fast Startup is a work around for the problem. (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings). At least for the last 6 or 7 cold starts I've done. I'm guessing it's a driver load order issue. I'm not using the insider builds.
    This could be why I'm not seeing this bug, even with the anniversary update on my SB. I've had fast startup disabled since back when it helped fix an issue with the Windows Hello camera not turning on after a cold boot.
    Lumious likes this.
    08-17-2016 03:05 PM
    Having said that I found that logging off and on again, which I do quite often when I hook up to external monitors using the dock, can loose the sound again.
    Lumious likes this.
    08-19-2016 01:52 AM
    Having said that I found that logging off and on again, which I do quite often when I hook up to external monitors using the dock, can loose the sound again.
    I've had a Surface Pro 4 since last Friday and I updated it to the Anniversary Update straight away. I had the issue where after turning the device on following a full shut down, the microphone and sound would not work, and videos would not load/play in any web browser. A restart fixed the issues - but the issues would return every time following a full shut down (requiring a restart to get the device functioning as it should).

I have last night painstakingly recovered back to 10586.545 and am not having the issues when starting from a full shut down - so it does appear to be a problem caused by the Anniversary Update.

However, I recovered back before I saw any suggestion about disabling Fast StartUp. Could you (or anybody else who had the issue) confirm whether, when starting from a full shut down with the Fast StartUp disabled, everything works as it should without issue and needing a restart please? If so, I think I will update again to the Anniversary Update and disable this feature.

Many thanks,
    Paul
    Lumious likes this.
    08-23-2016 12:38 PM
    This could be why I'm not seeing this bug, even with the anniversary update on my SB. I've had fast startup disabled since back when it helped fix an issue with the Windows Hello camera not turning on after a cold boot.
    What does disabling fast start up actually do? I am assuming by the name it disables a fast start up, meaning it takes longer to start the computer from a cold boot...but how much longer? How slow is it compared to fast start up? And are there any other disadvantages besides time (waiting for device to boot)? I would like to know because it is really starting to seem like this issue is happening every other time i start the device now! And unfortunately, im just dealing with it.

I received a response from Microsoft following my phone call with them. I would like to share it with you. And please everyone, make some noise, as i have said before...post it in feedback, tweet to Dona, call Microsoft, visit your local MS store, tweet/email/msg paul thurott/dan rubino/zac bowden/ mary jo foley, anyone!
    08-23-2016 06:01 PM
    I've had a Surface Pro 4 since last Friday and I updated it to the Anniversary Update straight away. I had the issue where after turning the device on following a full shut down, the microphone and sound would not work, and videos would not load/play in any web browser. A restart fixed the issues - but the issues would return every time following a full shut down (requiring a restart to get the device functioning as it should).

I have last night painstakingly recovered back to 10586.545 and am not having the issues when starting from a full shut down - so it does appear to be a problem caused by the Anniversary Update.

However, I recovered back before I saw any suggestion about disabling Fast StartUp. Could you (or anybody else who had the issue) confirm whether, when starting from a full shut down with the Fast StartUp disabled, everything works as it should without issue and needing a restart please? If so, I think I will update again to the Anniversary Update and disable this feature.

Many thanks,
    Paul
    please post a feedback in the feedback hub, and upvote mine please! I still have only one upvote on this issue! How could this be!?!?
    08-23-2016 06:02 PM
    What does disabling fast start up actually do? I am assuming by the name it disables a fast start up, meaning it takes longer to start the computer from a cold boot...but how much longer? How slow is it compared to fast start up? And are there any other disadvantages besides time (waiting for device to boot)? I would like to know because it is really starting to seem like this issue is happening every other time i start the device now! And unfortunately, im just dealing with it.

I received a response from Microsoft following my phone call with them. I would like to share it with you. And please everyone, make some noise, as i have said before...post it in feedback, tweet to Dona, call Microsoft, visit your local MS store, tweet/email/msg paul thurott/dan rubino/zac bowden/ mary jo foley, anyone!
    Attachment 129733
    08-23-2016 06:08 PM
    Unfortunately, the attachment link does not work. I'd love to hear what MS told you, though. For me, disabling fast startup doesn't add more than a second or 2 to my cold boot time, but I must confess, I rarely allow my SB to fully shut down these days.
    Lumious likes this.
    08-24-2016 01:04 PM

please post a feedback in the feedback hub, and upvote mine please! I still have only one upvote on this issue! How could this be!?!?
    I found this article on Windows Central about Fast StartUp: How to make your Windows 10 computer boot quicker with 'Fast Startup' | Windows Central

I entered a detailed feedback on the issue in the Windows Feedback app yesterday (Windows-Feedback:?contextid=68&feedbackid=1980fd4f-adfe-49c8-8782-1de04d0b8acc&form=1&src=2), and have upvoted a number of others .
    Lumious likes this.
    08-24-2016 03:01 PM
    I found this article on Windows Central about Fast StartUp: How to make your Windows 10 computer boot quicker with 'Fast Startup' | Windows Central

I entered a detailed feedback on the issue in the Windows Feedback app yesterday (Windows-Feedback:?contextid=68&feedbackid=1980fd4f-adfe-49c8-8782-1de04d0b8acc&form=1&src=2), and have upvoted a number of others .
    That option to disable or enable or anything having to do with fast startup is oddly missing on all my devices on windows 10 build 14393
    08-24-2016 06:41 PM
    Unfortunately, the attachment link does not work. I'd love to hear what MS told you, though. For me, disabling fast startup doesn't add more than a second or 2 to my cold boot time, but I must confess, I rarely allow my SB to fully shut down these days.
    Sorry for the broken link, have no idea why that happened...lets try this again.
    windows10audioissue.png
    08-24-2016 06:41 PM
    This is happening to me now just about every time i boot up the Surface Book from a cold start. This is unacceptable. I have no problem dealing with the bugs as long as i know MS is aware and is working on a fix. I can wait. However I feel like they don't really even know or aware of this issue on their own hardware. Time for desperate measures.
    CraigCole likes this.
    08-25-2016 06:17 PM
    Thanks for pointing out this issue.
    Lumious likes this.
    08-28-2016 01:29 PM
    This is happening to me now just about every time i boot up the Surface Book from a cold start. This is unacceptable. I have no problem dealing with the bugs as long as i know MS is aware and is working on a fix. I can wait. However I feel like they don't really even know or aware of this issue on their own hardware. Time for desperate measures.
    I own a SP4 and plenty of us are having the EXACT SAME ISSUE with the Anniversary "Update." Disabling fast boot corrects the problem but it's ABSOLUTE EFFING BS that Microsoft didn't catch this issue ... such a ridiculous failure ON THEIR OWN (OSTENSIBLY PREMIUM) HARDWARE!!! It really boggles the mind.
    Lumious likes this.
    08-28-2016 07:43 PM
    I own a SP4 and plenty of us are having the EXACT SAME ISSUE with the Anniversary "Update." Disabling fast boot corrects the problem but it's ABSOLUTE EFFING BS that Microsoft didn't catch this issue ... such a ridiculous failure ON THEIR OWN (OSTENSIBLY PREMIUM) HARDWARE!!! It really boggles the mind.
    Good to hear that it's happening on the Pro 4 as well...as i am getting mine in the mail (from Ebay) tomorrow morning. I hope i do not have this issue on the Pro 4 AS WELL as my surface book . i will be really pissed if that happens.
    08-28-2016 09:52 PM
    *****UPDATE******

I went to my local Microsoft Store on Saturday to buy the signature type cover for the Pro 4. I figured since i was there i would bring my Surface Book to at least make them aware of the issue. I had very little hope that anything would get fixed as it is an issue with the OS system code, which no one in the MS store is qualified or has the ability to do anything about.

So i walked in and i was looking at the type cover when one of the girls greeted me. I told her about the issue and she said i am going to have you talk to Jeremy and he can fix it for you, he is the best guy we got! I told her i doubt it and she responded with "I am 99.9% sure he can fix this issue for you". I said i dont think so but ok. So i told Jeremy, who was great by the way, about the issue in full. He told me to type all of this out in an email to him and he would kick it up to the right people at Microsoft. He didn't even look at my device (because like we both knew, it was a bug with the Anniversary Update something only a programmer at Redmond can fix.) So i feel good about that, that is one more step to getting something done about this issue. I just sent him the email yesterday evening. Well see.

Also he mentioned that since this is only affecting a small subset of users it might be a specific hardware configuration. So i wanted to ask EVERYONE here if you can please list your hardware config for your surface book and location. Maybe we can narrow it down to the type and region.

I am in the United States, Connecticut. I have an i7/dGPU/512/16GB config, interestingly this also happened on my i7/dGPU/256/8GB model. The thing they both have in common is at least the i7 and integrated graphics.

Thanks everyone, i will post more when i know more.
    Last edited by Lumious; 08-28-2016 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Typos, headline
    CraigCole likes this.
    08-28-2016 09:59 PM
    Also he mentioned that since this is only affecting a small subset of users it might be a specific hardware configuration. So i wanted to ask EVERYONE here if you can please list your hardware config for your surface book and location. Maybe we can narrow it down to the type and region.

I am in the United States, Connecticut. I have an i7/dGPU/512/16GB config, interestingly this also happened on my i7/dGPU/256/8GB model. The thing they both have in common is at least the i7 and integrated graphics.

Thanks everyone, i will post more when i know more.
    I'm in Germany... i7/dGPU/512/16GB.
    08-29-2016 05:36 AM
    Not having Audio, or good audio, will keep me from buying the Surface book...
    08-31-2016 07:28 AM
61 123