Nvidia Drivers Update

Rafens

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
New SB and did the AU update. Everything is stable. I ran the Nvidia Control Panel and under the Manage 3d Settings there is a way to update the SB Nvidia drivers. I did this and now have 372.70 drivers loaded. No issues still, can detach screen as well with no problems.

My question is this. Is this an acceptable way to update the drivers or should I do it via the Windows Update?

Also...since I am new (and went through several SB returns due to hardware issues) I finally have one where the SB does not play the detach/attach chime if you nudge the SB at all. I was very rough with the in store units so I knew what it SHOULD be like. I was wondering how durable the SB is. Is it expected to be attached and detached a lot? Will it "wear out"?

So far, now that I have a working SB my experience has been great...I am just hoping it stays that way.

Thanks!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it is acceptable, as long as you leave out the beta driver downloads.

"Will it wear out?" Anything with moving parts will eventually wear out as long as it is being used. Supposedly, the detaching contraption in the SB is "designed" to last at least as long as the service life of the unit, which is around two to three years of "normal" use.

So there we see words such as "designed" and "normal", but we need to add "tolerances" since not all mechanical parts are equal. All these quoted words add up to some degree of uncertainty, and some theorists suggest that products such as these are "designed" to be serviced if not replaced to generate additional revenues.

Just enjoy your SB as it is. Use it. Work and play (if applicable) with it. Worry about hardware failure when it does and always backup all your important files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes