Making the switch!

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Apple user since the 90's. I've owned plenty of Apple computers both desktop and laptop. This will be my first foray into the windows world. The Surface Book just looked too compelling. Scored a new i7 model for a grand on fleabay. Price was too good to pass up. This will replace my 2013 MacBook Air. Looking forward to seeing how life is on the other side.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
welcome to the windows eco-system, we believe you will definitely love and enjoy this experience. If you have any technical issues we are always here to help. :)

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Welcome and Wish you all the best~
Agreed that a grand for i7 Surface Book is a great value!
We'll try to help you during this transition period.

Personally, the touch display is designed to be addictive.

RobertP1

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Apple user since the 90's. I've owned plenty of Apple computers both desktop and laptop. This will be my first foray into the windows world. The Surface Book just looked too compelling. Scored a new i7 model for a grand on fleabay. Price was too good to pass up. This will replace my 2013 MacBook Air. Looking forward to seeing how life is on the other side.

Welcome and what a great deal on surface book!

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I tried out Windows 10 by setting up a partition on my MacBook Air to see how I'd like it. I also had a Windows Phone for a while and really loved it (1520). Crossing my fingers that I don't get all the bugs and quirks that folks describe. Is there any thing special I should do in setting up to make an easy trouble free experience?

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Congrats on switch and the steal on the Surface book. I am sure you will love the W10 as much as the rest of us. There is a great bunch of very informative people on here that will help if you run in to any problems.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Using Surface Book, a hardware from Microsoft, would be easy and no need for drivers installation. You can rely on Windows defender for basic malware protection but you can use a paid service if needed.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I spoke too soon. I think the fleabay seller was trying to scam me. I didn't take the bait and managed a refund. Pissed though. May end up just buying a refurb unit from Microsoft so I can avoid the fleabay headache.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I spoke too soon. I think the fleabay seller was trying to scam me. I didn't take the bait and managed a refund. Pissed though. May end up just buying a refurb unit from Microsoft so I can avoid the fleabay headache.

Good luck on the refurbs some MSFT store reviews say they're terrible units etc. Also sorry for potential scamming people nowadays we got scammed hard earlier this year my mother didn't know and got scammed $2000.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The ebay scam is to sell you a product and then send you an email outside of eBay saying that the product is sold out and that they will have to cancel the transaction. By this time you have already paid. They send a transaction cancelation notice with the reason given that your address is not a verified address. The trick is that if you cancel the transaction after having paid you are screwed. Thankfully I read the notice from eBay and refused the cancelation. Interestingly my refund showed up 5 minutes after I refused the cancelation. I reported them to eBay as they violated a few rules. Ebay can be OK if you pay with PayPal and are careful about how you proceed with transactions. I'll get all my money back.

I don't know how microsoft refurbs are but I've bought quite a few refurb units from Apple and they've all been perfect. Look and act new in every way with same warranty as new units.

RobertP1

May 22, 2016
Visit site

When I got my surface Pro 3, I bought it at the Microsoft Store and bought the extended warranty and glad I did. I only used it once when I goofed something up, but knowing that I had them to back me up gave me peace of mind and I felt it was worth it. My two years are up and the thing is still cooking along. Looking for a reason to upgrade, but can't find one yet

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've owned a few MS refurbs without serious issues. There have been a few occasions, though, where I had to return them for replacements. They once shipped me a refurb SP3 when mine died, that was totally still broken. Needless to say it was another week before they got me a good replacement, but that one was in perfect condition and functioning great (my mother now has it).

As for eBay sellers... honestly, just be careful about who you deal with. There aren't that many who scam these days. Not really. It's gotten quite difficult to pull that off. Counterfeit items are probably a worse issue with some sellers (fake microSD cards, gift cards, etc). The whole "out of stock" BS is something eBay has sought to get rid of for years, but they refuse to go after the really high volume sellers who still do it. Cancelled transactions hurt their standing with eBay (this is automatic, behind the scenes), but it's up to eBay to enforce their own rules (and they're known not to -- serial bid retractors are permitted to retract hundreds of bids for bogus reasons without punishment). That said, I've bought tons of stuff on eBay without incidents like what you describe. And again, eBay's buyer protection makes it relatively easy to get a refund -- really, try it sometime when you're unhappy with an item (don't do it to a decent seller, though, it definitely hurts their standing, but if the seller is a jerk, file a claim). I'm not exactly trying to defend eBay here, but you guys are making it sound like all sellers there are scammers. They aren't. Just read their feedback and don't buy from ones where folks complain about cancellations and similar situations, usually it's habitual with the bad ones. It isn't that hard to steer clear of the bad sellers. Less than 98% positive feedback? Don't buy. There's no reason for that much negative feedback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos