Longer SB battery life after Oct 28 firmware update

Talisman39

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
I was surprised to get a notification of the firmware update on Saturday as I hadn't read anything about it at that point, and I'm not an insider or anything. I went ahead installed and, and while I've only had a couple of cycles to go by so far, I'm getting significantly improved battery life. I used to get 5-6 hours, now i seem to betting 7-8. A good 40% increase, not bad!

Anybody else seeing the same thing?

Fingers crossed it continues... Would also like it if it fixes battery drain during sleep (pre hibernate), don't know about that yet.

Taul Pelu

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I am sorry to disappoint you, but I am not quite sure such an improvement is possible based on power needed by CPU/GPU and battery capacity which are still the same before firmware update (maybe we can get a few extra % but not that much).
Btw I am going to check that out as I am continuously using my SurfaceBook on battery. Thanks ;)

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am sorry to disappoint you, but I am not quite sure such an improvement is possible based on power needed by CPU/GPU and battery capacity which are still the same before firmware update (maybe we can get a few extra % but not that much).
Btw I am going to check that out as I am continuously using my SurfaceBook on battery. Thanks ;)

If the OP was having a battery drain excessively during sleep and/or hibernation or even during normal operation problem, an increase like this is possible. I'll keep an eye on mine since I saw a significant battery life decrease after the anniversary update/August firmware updates that mostly occurred while the machine was being used. If this update addresses that issue, I'll be happy to get back to more normal battery life.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Ah yeah maybe you're right !
For my part, no substantial changes regarding battery life while on battery all day long =/

Consider yourself lucky. I used to get through a whole day without needing to charge, but after the anniversary update and the August firmware, I could barely make it 2/3 of the way through the day before hitting 20% or less (I'd say I went from ~8 hours down to ~6 hours battery life overall). If this update gets me back to making it through the day on a single charge, I'll be very pleased. I can't say for sure just yet.

Talisman39

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Not sure if this is my imagination, but the screen also now seems easier to separate after hitting the Detach button. On my SB it used to require a really vigorous pull, not it comes off quite easily (but isn't any less secure when attached). Since the attachment mechanism is electromechanical, seems like this could be feasible. Anyone else notice this?

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this is my imagination, but the screen also now seems easier to separate after hitting the Detach button. On my SB it used to require a really vigorous pull, not it comes off quite easily (but isn't any less secure when attached). Since the attachment mechanism is electromechanical, seems like this could be feasible. Anyone else notice this?

Nope, that's probably just you & the angle from which you're trying to pull. I know that the more straight up and down the screen is, the "easier" it feels to detach the screen for me. The sharper the angle, the "harder" it seems to detach. This is more of a mechanical thing, not likely to be affected by firmware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6