Never had a device before launch date before! :D

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had problems with my SP3 which was still under extended warranty. It was my third SP3. I loved it, and used it for almost two years (I don't even remember what the problems were with the first two). But last week, it started not recognizing the TypeCover. I thought the TypeCover was going bad, so I went to the Microsoft Store (I'd already done the troubleshooting). Connecting one of their TypeCovers revealed that the problem was my PC, not the keyboard.

I took it home and backed up, and then restored Windows back to out of box, and could still reproduce the problem. It happened in the BIOS, too, which rules out the OS, but I needed to wipe it to get my data off, anyway.Back to the Microsoft Store the next day (it's an hour away), and they gave me a shiny new (refurbished) SP3. I got home, and after the OOB experience, I inserted my MicroSD card, and it was not recognized. I called the assistant manager who I'd talked to earlier in the day (because I tried to talk them into letting me upgrade to a Surface Book), and told him I was installing updates, but didn't expect that to resolve the problem, and since it was too late for me to get back by closing, I'd be back in the morning. He said he couldn't promise, but he'd try to get me into a Book (this was my fourth SP3, after all, so he wanted me to be happy).

Went back the next day, and after checking out my replacement SP3, he asked me which model SB I wanted. I told him I wanted the 512GB i7 with Power Base, since the 1TB was a preorder item. He came back a few minutes later, and said, "Bad news. We don't have that model in stock. But we do have this one - the 1TB / 16GB i7 with Power Base." NICE!Let's just say I got a REALLY GOOD deal on it, due to my past troubles. :grin:

I've only had it a day, and haven't finished installing all of the software I use, but my first impression is man is this thing nice!

worwig

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Nice upgrade. Once I got all of the updates early this year my Book has been very stable. I just turn it on, and it works.

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
That's a nice upgrade! Congrats. I'm new to the Surface Book. Only had it a week. Coming from the Apple world. Finding it much buggier than Apple. I was expecting that though. Chrome looses the cursor often. Adobe Illustrator runs slower than on my 2013 macbook air for some reason despite the Surface having a better processor, the same ram, and a dGPU. Machine froze a couple of times and a bunch of other small things. Still really like it though. Just accepting the bugginess as the cost of innovation.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
That's a nice upgrade! Congrats. I'm new to the Surface Book. Only had it a week. Coming from the Apple world. Finding it much buggier than Apple. I was expecting that though. Chrome looses the cursor often. Adobe Illustrator runs slower than on my 2013 macbook air for some reason despite the Surface having a better processor, the same ram, and a dGPU. Machine froze a couple of times and a bunch of other small things. Still really like it though. Just accepting the bugginess as the cost of innovation.

I do not think that the Surface Book is buggier then a Mac. I am on my second Surface Book now. The first one was a lemon and it froze a lot. The second one came just today and so far it has been great. It is a big difference to the first one.
Maybe you should check if there is something wrong with your Surface Book. You could download the h/w test for Surface and run it.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/surface/surface-diagnostic-toolkit

I think that Microsoft has made a really great laptop.

robertopod1968

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I had an original Surface Book and although it had some issues initially, it was my favorite laptop ever. And I've had Macs. It was an i5 version. I liked it so much I preordered a new i7 with performance base. The battery life and speed are incredible. I've not had one issue on the week I've had it. I'll never think about a Mac again. No touch screen? What? That's so outdated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss