New Surface Book with Performance Base i7/16GB/1TB shutdown overnight while in Sleep Mode

brosenz

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Yesterday I got my new SB, I haven't really installed much, mostly office and project 2016, and did a full Windows Update as well. I left the SB last night around 1AM in Sleep Mode with many apps open, Edge, Outlook and Explorer. This morning around 7AM I opened and to my surprise the SB was rebooting from a Shutdown, after checking the logs in Event Viewer I found "The Previous system shutdown at 3:26AM on 11/26 was unexpected", "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first....." and "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.......".

I've read all over about this issue called "The Sleep of Death" on the SB, I thought this problem would have been resolved already, it is almost 18 months since the release.

Any idea if there is a fix? For me stability and reliability are the two most important attributes of a laptop/tablet device, when I open it, it has to work, at least most of the time.

Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking on returning it but I want to give it a try first.

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I think the best fix for the SBs is return for complete refund. For whatever reasons it seems the SBs and now including your newest with the performance base are not a product worth the money paid. Just my opinion.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
My Surface Book doesn't have any crashes. Everything works great. I suggest you do some basic troubleshooting and see what the problem might be. It would also be a good idea to run the Surface Book diagnostics to eliminate any hardware issues. Returning the Surface Book is not really a good option. This is the best laptop on the market right now.

Last edited:

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
instead of panicking and rushing to return it, why don't you just give it a few days to settle after doing the updates and settle itself out, probably I also suspect that the SB isn't done with all the updates and you still might have updates to do or maybe firmware updates also... also I'm sure there is APPS that need to be updated in the store too. I have friends who have the SB and they NEVER have problems with it... which makes me want to buy one so badly, but I'm content with my SP3... perhaps soon maybe..

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I found my Surface Book was buggy for the first week. Not sure why that happens but it's pretty good now. I'd wait a few days like the previous post indicates to see if it gets better.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
This behavior (unexpected sleep shutdowns) was an issue with all Surface Books awhile ago (earlier this year), but it was resolved with firmware updates for pretty much everyone (there may have been a few that continued to have issues).

Is this unit one of the new "performance base" models? Have you made sure the firmware is totally up-to-date?

Boomwaller

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree with what others have said, let the system settle in and check store for App updates etc... Also check your hibernate settings on battery etc, and battery saver. It can put the machine into hibernate/deep sleep, which will act like the system is fully off. Most issues I had were within the first 2 days, and then a self created issue running Ubuntu via Hyper V Manager.

Let us know if it happens again.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for almost two weeks now, and the only shutdowns I've had overnight were updates that required restart. I have, however, seen several blue screens, and with my (former) SP3, I had gotten used to never seeing those.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BSoDs (blue screens) should no longer be the norm. If you're seeing them, you may want to try running the system file checker (admin command prompt, type SFC /scannow). Then run the DISM command to find and fix any corrupt files. Windows Central has a nice article about how to run both of these. I had horrible blue screen issues on my Surface Book after every windows update for awhile (MS acknowledged that the update process itself was introducing corruption) but the anniversary update and subsequent firmware updates that were designed to deal with this exact issue have done just that.

Also, sleep shutdowns are NOT normal and are not likely to resolve themselves. That said, if it only happens once and not again, it's likely just a fluke, and I wouldn't be worried about it. If it continues to happen, there's something else going on and you should act quickly to make sure you get a brand new replacement unit if it's necessary. If the system enters hibernation, open programs are remembered -- and no log entry is generated regarding an unexpected system shutdown. If you bought your Surface Book directly from Microsoft and the sleep shutdowns continue, contact their support. You have 30 days to return it for a full refund and if you have a nearby MS store, they will also do a direct exchange for you if your unit is faulty. Take advantage of this. Do not wait too long for the system to "settle in" and lose these opportunities.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
BSoDs (blue screens) should no longer be the norm. If you're seeing them, you may want to try running the system file checker (admin command prompt, type SFC /scannow). Then run the DISM command to find and fix any corrupt files. Windows Central has a nice article about how to run both of these. I had horrible blue screen issues on my Surface Book after every windows update for awhile (MS acknowledged that the update process itself was introducing corruption) but the anniversary update and subsequent firmware updates that were designed to deal with this exact issue have done just that.

Hmmm... I just ran the SFC and it found no problems. There was just an update last night (I'm on the Release Preview ring), so I'll watch to see if it happens again. I've had the PC for 10 days, so there's plenty of time for an exchange (plus I would never spend this much on a PC that I can't fix, without buying the extended warranty).

Boomwaller

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Also to clarify my point on hibernate, some people notice/think there machine was shut down when the press the power button after say 5 hours and see the Surface Logo like it was shutdown. Anyways to test Hibernate just swap your power button to hibernate instead of sleep. Leave open Edge browser and notepad, press the power button, Surface should go into hibernate wait 5-10 seconds press it again, should wake out of hibernate (Surface Logo) login and Edge/Notepad should still be open.

I do agree shutdown during hibernate/sleep is not good, and I would monitor it for 1 - 2 days if it happens again do a quick exchange!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I intentionally set my button action to hibernate instead of sleep, because I have Visual Studio installed, with the phone emulators, and with my Surface Pro 3, I had problems with it not being able to sleep because of Hyper-V. For that reason, I just always automatically set it to hibernate when the button is pressed, or when it times out on battery (never sleep or hibernate while powered).

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm... I just ran the SFC and it found no problems. There was just an update last night (I'm on the Release Preview ring), so I'll watch to see if it happens again. I've had the PC for 10 days, so there's plenty of time for an exchange (plus I would never spend this much on a PC that I can't fix, without buying the extended warranty).

Ohh, you're running insider builds. NVM then. That changes things a bit. On production builds, BSoDs aren't normal. I don't know about any of the insider builds.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Also to clarify my point on hibernate, some people notice/think there machine was shut down when the press the power button after say 5 hours and see the Surface Logo like it was shutdown. Anyways to test Hibernate just swap your power button to hibernate instead of sleep. Leave open Edge browser and notepad, press the power button, Surface should go into hibernate wait 5-10 seconds press it again, should wake out of hibernate (Surface Logo) login and Edge/Notepad should still be open.

I do agree shutdown during hibernate/sleep is not good, and I would monitor it for 1 - 2 days if it happens again do a quick exchange!

While hibernate can appear like a shutdown, on a Surface Book there is one telltale sign if no programs were left open before the "shutdown" -- the Surface DTX process is NOT in the system tray when the desktop first loads. It takes a few seconds to see the detach button appear in the system tray from a cold boot.

Boomwaller

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
While hibernate can appear like a shutdown, on a Surface Book there is one telltale sign if no programs were left open before the "shutdown" -- the Surface DTX process is NOT in the system tray when the desktop first loads. It takes a few seconds to see the detach button appear in the system tray from a cold boot.

You are exactly right! I just wanted to clarify it for anyone reading the thread and for the OP. Also I am not on insider either Surface Book is my daily driver and, not enough time to test builds. I can however stress test insider this weekend and see if I stumble upon similar things. Also by chance do you have a BSOD dump file you could share?

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I, too, would be curious what the BSoD code is (this should be visible in the event viewer on the "the computer has rebooted from a bugcheck" error). The most common ones, previously were things like pdc_watchdog (related to the screen waking after sleep), nvidia driver (again, usually on wake from sleep), and a couple of others. I remember running memory tests and other hardware diagnostics trying to decide if my BSoD issues were hardware or firmware. In the end, I determined they were firmware or Win10 issues and waited it out. I must've been right because I haven't seen a BSoD in quite awhile.

One other thing -- some folks get BSoDs related to memory cards and exfat.sys on Win10. Depending on the OPs config, this could be that, too.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had the time to take a look and see how to run the utility, so no.

It's the fastest way to get an idea of what the root cause of the crashes really is. I started using it on my SB 6+ months ago when I was having serious, regular BSoD issues. My issues, though, were Windows 10 and drivers and I just had to wait until MS, Intel and nVidia fixed the problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb