New Surface Book(11-29-2016) with Performance Base i7/16GB/512 SLOW internet

nvrqu1t

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
Received new SB this past Monday. I use Chrome, only program I've installed is GoPro software for editing. "GoPro Quik." The lag occurs on both Edge and Chrome, at home and at my office. When I pull up a browser, it'll load the first couple pages quickly, then any other site requests it just hangs, and often gives the "un-responding" message to "kill" or "wait." I've changed the P4 ICP adapter settings as I've researched as a fix and nothing changed. My internet connection at home is surely not the fastest, but myself, wife and two teen aged girls use it without issue including all sorts of streaming from music to Netflix. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's a shame too because it really makes me want to take it back, especially after dropping $2,800+ on it.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It's most likely your router and or internet service. Not your computer

Clearly not if no one else experiences the issue on any other device or machine at the same locations. The issue could be the adapter in the Surface Book in conjunction with his router/switch/networking hardware, though.

OP, have you run any other speed tests on the Surface Book? What settings did you change?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Clearly not if no one else experiences the issue on any other device or machine at the same locations. The issue could be the adapter in the Surface Book in conjunction with his router/switch/networking hardware, though.

OP, have you run any other speed tests on the Surface Book? What settings did you change?

Depending on the router, it might not be giving the surface book bandwidth.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
it's clearly the router, it either needs the firmware updated to accommodate the newer wifi protocols, because to me his router might be old/er and that's why his other "older" devices don't have a problem connecting... so try updating the firmware on the router or buy a "newer" router. I had to do this on one of my friends routers because his surface pro 4 was acting wonky, he ended up buying a newer faster router and everything was gravy

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
This is the problem with interconnected technologies. As soon as you go updating parts of an integrated system it can cause issues in other parts. I'd certainly be putting my money on the router as well.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Before writing a check for a new router, does the Surface have the same problem on other wifi routers? That's the first test. If that test passes, something between the router and the Surface isn't working out. If you still have the problem on a different wifi, restore the PC to factory and see if you get the issue again. If so, it's time for an exchange.

Last edited:

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Guys, my Surface Book works fine with an older-than-dirt Cisco E4200v1 router, and I'd bet it would also be fine with my older D-Link I no longer use. If no other devices are having connectivity issues with the same router, why are you all so fast to blame it? If the SB's built-in WiFi doesn't play nice with that particular router, that isn't necessarily the router's fault.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Guys, my Surface Book works fine with an older-than-dirt Cisco E4200v1 router, and I'd bet it would also be fine with my older D-Link I no longer use. If no other devices are having connectivity issues with the same router, why are you all so fast to blame it? If the SB's built-in WiFi doesn't play nice with that particular router, that isn't necessarily the router's fault.
Exactly why I suggested a troubleshooting approach rather than a guessing approach. ;)

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Exactly why I suggested a troubleshooting approach rather than a guessing approach. ;)

Indeed, you're just about the only one who didn't suggest immediately replacing the router. I have yet to meet a device that doesn't like the router I have, so I am NOT quick to blame it.

My only other thought is ... is the OP trying to use 5GHz only? I don't get the obsession with 5GHz Wi-Fi. Yeah you might get faster throughput, but at the expense of range (significantly). I leave the 5GHz component of my router on, but almost nothing ever stays connected to it unless I'm in my office where the router is, and I'm never in there with my SB because, well, I have a desktop PC with a gigabit wired connection =P. Otherwise, the 5GHz signal (and thus speed) drops off incredibly the further you get from the router. Range extenders, IMHO, are still garbage. I have yet to meet one that wasn't a total pain ...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Indeed, you're just about the only one who didn't suggest immediately replacing the router. I have yet to meet a device that doesn't like the router I have, so I am NOT quick to blame it.
Yeah, I'm more a "fix-it" kind of guy than a "throw money at it" kind of guy. :wink:

My only other thought is ... is the OP trying to use 5GHz only? I don't get the obsession with 5GHz Wi-Fi. Yeah you might get faster throughput, but at the expense of range (significantly). I leave the 5GHz component of my router on, but almost nothing ever stays connected to it unless I'm in my office where the router is, and I'm never in there with my SB because, well, I have a desktop PC with a gigabit wired connection =P. Otherwise, the 5GHz signal (and thus speed) drops off incredibly the further you get from the router. Range extenders, IMHO, are still garbage. I have yet to meet one that wasn't a total pain ...
This one I can't answer. I used to be up on wireless, when I had a job where it mattered. Now, I'm not. I'm using two Buffalo high-power routers in my home, and they're both about seven years old. One is in the basement, and one is in the attic, with a wired connection between them. I have them because before we bought our house, we lived in a mobile home on our church property, so I needed high-power to set them up repeating the signal from the church to the trailer. The 10Mbs connection from the church was about 3-5Mbps by the time it got to us, but hey, that was a lot better than paying $50 a month for cable. We don't watch TV, so no cable TV bill for us... :wink:

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Prior to the SB, I had a Surface Pro 3, which I loved. And MS kept updating the Wi-Fi driver in part because of the 5GHz nuts who complained that it didn't allow them to force a 5GHz connection all the time. I was always like "why?!?!" It reset my Wi-Fi settings once because these people just HAD to have that option. Ugh. I have phones and other devices that are 5GHz capable as well as a router that has 5GHz enabled, and nothing ever stays connected to the 5GHz for long because the 2.4GHz connection is faster, stronger at a longer distance and more stable overall. The only time anything uses the 5GHz is when I'm sitting in the same room as my router, and in that case it is absolutely pointless. Maybe the Wi-Fi calling feature on my phone is the only thing that makes good use of that 5GHz component of my Wi-Fi, because otherwise, I'm using a wired connection when I'm that close to my router. gigabit ethernet beats 5GHz Wi-Fi any day.

I just don't get it, but loss of signal strength due to leaving the ideal range for a 5GHz connection while 5GHz is being forced could definitely contribute to a slow internet issue, which is why it came to mind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99