Surface Book at 1 Year - Finally a sense of stability!

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
So my original Surface Book is a year old.

Or at least it's been a year and a bit more since I picked up a Surface Book in December 2015. It's the 256gb I7 with the dGPU in the base. That first book lasted about a month and was returned for disk errors. The next Surface Book was better, somewhat, and improved after updates but it suffered from thermal screen discoloration and was also ultimately replaced.

I got this third book last fall and for about a month now it's been working quite well. After last Tuesday's updates, it's much better yet. It finally feels like I thought it might back when I saw it introduced onstage. That might be a bit much - the GPU is smaller than I might like for video work, and I wish I had 16gb of RAM instead of just 8 - but I find myself happy with my Surface Book's performance overall. It's lightweight, with a good battery and it's extremely versatile.

In short it is starting to live up to it's premium pricing one year in.

How long have you had your Surface Book for? If you were a early adopter, have you experienced any issues? What do you think about your SB now?

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I still have my Surface Book bought on launch day at my local MS store. I don't remember exactly when it made the transition, but at some point about mid-last year, my machine finally became the machine I'd hoped for when I bought it. I use it exactly as I originally envisioned -- detaching the screen when I don't want to carry the whole weight of the unit around (kitchen, lap sometimes), I can flip the screen around when playing casual games, drawing or otherwise using it as a creative tool, and of course, it makes a fantastic laptop. I rarely reboot it, letting it sleep or hibernate when not in use. It took Microsoft long enough, but they did, indeed, finally work out the bugs. And not once did I ever actually have to reset it or restore the windows installation. Awesome.

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I got my Surface Book towards the end of last year. I have generally been very happy with it. There has been hardly any problems with it. It is exactly what I was expecting from a device where the hardware and software were developed by the same company.

The only problem I have had is occasional touchscreen failures. In this case, I have to manually uninstall the touchscreen drivers and restart to solve the problem. This is somewhat annoying in a premium device but it doesn't happen very often, and can be solved even without a mouse (using a hardware button reset).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss