Surface Book running latest Windows Creators Update 1703 sluggish scrolling

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I have the base model of Microsoft Surface Book. I updated early to Windows 10 Creators Update using the Upgrade assistance tool. I noticed that scrolling using the track pad is really bad on Win32 apps but very smooth on UWP apps.
Before the update, the scrolling was very smooth everywhere. now it is very bad and it is affecting my work in Visual Studio since scrolling through lines of code is now a pain.

Anyone with a surface book can confirm this? or does anyone have a solution to this?

thank you all

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm. I have my SB set up mostly for use as a desktop with keyboard/mouse and a big monitor, so I don't usually use the trackpad. But I just tested Task Manager as you suggested and the scroll rate is horrible. I agree that scrolling is fine in other apps. This is a high end book, too, though one of the older ones.

Did you report the problem through the Feedback Hub? Every update comes with unforeseen consequences, and you may have stumbled across one; I doubt anyone on the Windows team thinks it is a good idea to downgrade functionality for an entire class of apps. I'll submit a Feedback report too, and you can upvote me if you find my entry.

EDITED TO ADD: I should have said that I am a Fast Ring Insider and have already moved on to 16176. But I don't doubt this is a CU problem too, and probably was during a lot of the FR insider builds I ran without ever testing the touchpad.

Last edited:

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
https://aka.ms/Hlo7lk
Hmmm. I have my SB set up mostly for use as a desktop with keyboard/mouse and a big monitor, so I don't usually use the trackpad. But I just tested Task Manager as you suggested and the scroll rate is horrible. I agree that scrolling is fine in other apps. This is a high end book, too, though one of the older ones.

Did you report the problem through the Feedback Hub? Every update comes with unforeseen consequences, and you may have stumbled across one; I doubt anyone on the Windows team thinks it is a good idea to downgrade functionality for an entire class of apps. I'll submit a Feedback report too, and you can upvote me if you find my entry.

EDITED TO ADD: I should have said that I am a Fast Ring Insider and have already moved on to 16176. But I don't doubt this is a CU problem too, and probably was during a lot of the FR insider builds I ran without ever testing the touchpad.

Hey, was a bit busy and just saw your post.
I did report the problem on the feedback hub moments ago, will see how that goes.

I also want to ask you about your surface book setup. do you keep it connected to power all the time? if so, wouldn't that damage the battery?

Edit:
Here is the link to the feedback: https://aka.ms/Hlo7lk

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I also want to ask you about your surface book setup. do you keep it connected to power all the time? if so, wouldn't that damage the battery?
No. The system monitors the battery, and my SB that is on the desk, connected to a Surface Dock and two monitors, is plugged in most of the time that I use it (and it is turned on 24/7 when on the desk).

What will harm the battery is mistreatment. Too hot. Too cold. Run completely dead too often (though the default power settings will shut down the PC so it should never reach full discharge). That kind of thing. You get a limited number of charge/discharge cycles, because each time the chemistry is changed through charge or discharge, some small fraction of the charging ability is lost. That is why batteries lose capacity over time. The fact is that if you leave it plugged in all the time, the battery will actually last longer, because it isn't going through those charge and discharge cycles.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Slow to reply, but I concur with hopmedic. Only rarely in the last year have I unplugged my Book and taken it on the road with me. The rest of the time it is plugged in and either in use or sleeping. It's occasionally completely off, but not for long. As recently as a couple of weeks ago I had it out of the house for a while, and the batteries were completely reliable for the few hours I was away.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
No. The system monitors the battery, and my SB that is on the desk, connected to a Surface Dock and two monitors, is plugged in most of the time that I use it (and it is turned on 24/7 when on the desk).

What will harm the battery is mistreatment. Too hot. Too cold. Run completely dead too often (though the default power settings will shut down the PC so it should never reach full discharge). That kind of thing. You get a limited number of charge/discharge cycles, because each time the chemistry is changed through charge or discharge, some small fraction of the charging ability is lost. That is why batteries lose capacity over time. The fact is that if you leave it plugged in all the time, the battery will actually last longer, because it isn't going through those charge and discharge cycles.

So does the system stops charging the batteries when it is full? what if it doesn't? wouldn't over-charging them damage the batteries?

The reason why I am worries is that I find the battery life on Surface book as the best feature for me (aside from the touchpad) and I don't want to ruin them considering they are impossible to replace.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
So here is an interesting discovery. Because the bad scrolling in Win32 and WPF apps was ******* me off (literally) I started a crusade to fix this. and today I found something interesting. in my mouse settings (settings -> devices -> mouse) the 'choose how many lines to scroll each time' was set to 5. at first I didn't think much of it but then decided to play with the value, the higher I set it, the worst it got. so I lowered it to 3 and now it is better. scrolling has improved and it is almost back to normal.

can you guys try this and report back if this improves the experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion