How to boot from SD Card on Surface Book (i7 model)?

JonathanVazquez95

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I just purchased a surface book from Best Buy 2 days ago. I'm coming over from Apple products and i must say i love this surface book. I currently have 256 GB (If i remember right) which is running Windows 10. I'm also a Computer Science student, that been said i need to run a version of LINUX. I choose UBUNTU because of the constant support.

I currently have an SD card (SAMSUNG) 128 gb that i currently installed UBUNTU on. I set the boot option to boot from USB since i used a USB bootable to install LINUX into my SD CARD. However, i have no way of booting from a SD CARD since i've removed the FLASH DRIVE (USB). How can i do this? i'm so new to the world of windows and how to properly use it (advance features).

My only other option at this point is to simply create a small partition of 30gb for UBUNTU (MAIN HD), then storing all the documents and file onto the SD CARD (use the SD CARD as main storage for linux). However, i would like to keep everything within itself. If i were to have some type of corrupt on my SD CARD, it would be fine because everything will be backed up onto my personal cloud storage.

Thank You,
Jonathan V.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
unless the bios recognizes the sdcard as a bootable option, you won't be able to boot from it. You can probably try getting one of those USB sd card sticks and then boot to usb but then you will have to leave the usb plugged in all the time.

I'd recommend creating the small partition. A lot less head ache.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786