Buy now or wait?

icwhatudidthere

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
In the past few days, I've seen the base model drop to around $1178 at Walmart and Best Buy, though after the Surface Laptop announcement this morning, Best Buy raised the price back to $1499.

I'm wondering how long people think it'll be before the Surface Book is refreshed?

I'm not looking for the latest and greatest. In fact my use case for the Surface Book is simply that I want a lappable laptop, one that doesn't make my hands sweaty. The Surface Book is perfect since the processing is all in the tablet section, keeping the base cool.

Anyone think the base SB is worth it at $1178? Or have you seen it cheaper?

Thanks!

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't think Surface Laptop is going to be the " new sheriff in town".
It's not in the same class as Surface Book.

I would buy SB for $1178. But I am no expert.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
In the past few days, I've seen the base model drop to around $1178 at Walmart and Best Buy, though after the Surface Laptop announcement this morning, Best Buy raised the price back to $1499.

I'm wondering how long people think it'll be before the Surface Book is refreshed?

I'm not looking for the latest and greatest. In fact my use case for the Surface Book is simply that I want a lappable laptop, one that doesn't make my hands sweaty. The Surface Book is perfect since the processing is all in the tablet section, keeping the base cool.

Anyone think the base SB is worth it at $1178? Or have you seen it cheaper?

Thanks!

I just pulled the trigger on a Surface Book in the second hand market on Saturday. And man do I love this device!

I think it's still worth the purchase.

The cheapest I've seen the device new is www.newegg.com. I believe they had a sale where it was $999 at some point in recent history. It's currently $1099. I'd recommend looking into what the warranty situation is too. I know Newegg's customer service isn't the best. But i'm fairly certain this device comes with an extended warranty from them. So that's a pretty good deal.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...t.aspx%3FItem%3D9SIA5E64XC8712&token=bhMh7bj3

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been waiting patiently for almost 2 years for a Surface Book 2. Close to giving up. Think there's any chance of Surface Book 2 announcement at BUILD next week?

icwhatudidthere

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My guess is a refreshed Surface Pro 5 with Kaby Lake. Only Surface Book rumor I found was Mary Jo Foley saying it's not ready yet. That ties in with MSPowerUser finding a Chinese compliance certificate for the SP5 but said nothing for the Surface Book.

I ended up getting the Surface Book from Best Buy. The web site no longer lists it as on sale but the stores are still honoring the price. I figure if anything does get announced next week, I can still return it and this way I get the $340 off.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by hasasimo
I've been waiting patiently for almost 2 years for a Surface Book 2. Close to giving up. Think there's any chance of Surface Book 2 announcement at BUILD next week?

Doubtful. SB refresh was just last Oct, and recently open to other markets. I assume you don't have SB, otherwise why would you be waiting 2 yrs? I love my SB, and will get SB2 when it is announced, prob end of the year.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Doubtful. SB refresh was just last Oct, and recently open to other markets. I assume you don't have SB, otherwise why would you be waiting 2 yrs? I love my SB, and will get SB2 when it is announced, prob end of the year.

Correct, I don't own a SB. For a while there, a new Surface Pro was announced annually. So I think most of us assumed it would be the same with the Surface Book. Had I known it would take so long, I probably would have just purchased the original.

It made sense to think the SB2 was right around the corner, so I thought "might as well just wait." It's definitely taken longer than expected, and I really don't have the kind of disposal income that would allow me to purchase every Surface Book refresh. So, I think I'll begrudgingly wait til the Fall and just move on with a different option of the SB2 isn't announced.

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I pulled the trigger and bought one from Best Buy. I originally purchased an i7 with dGPU when it first came out but I couldn't justify keeping it because of the price. I really missed having it and I'm glad that it has gone down to 1178. I can at least justify it at this point. I'd say go for it, ain't no time like the present!

glaco13

May 7, 2017
Visit site
What I recommend is either buying refurbished from Best Buy or Microsoft (BB has better customer service in my opinion). If you prefer buying new you can consider what I did; I waited for the 128G i5 SB to go on sale at Best Buy for around $1150. Instead of paying the extra $400-$500 for the 256G i5 I decided to buy a 128G Micro SDXC for $60 at Walmart, although I'm sure you can find them cheaper online - just have to watch out for fakes. Then, I bought a Base Qi Micro SD adapter made specifically for the Surface Book. It slides right into the SD port and flushes perfectly with the rest of your computer. I'll leave the link below, I think you can find them for as low as $20 on Amazon and Ebay. The best part about having the external memory is if your computer breaks its a breeze to switch to a new one if you ask me. Now, if you want an even better deal you should see if your state has a sales-tax free weekend and wait until then. All in all if you do these things you'll essentially have a 256G i5 Surface Book for around $1225, even less if you go for a refurbished one, as opposed to almost $2100 if you account for sales tax (where it live it's 10%). Best of luck! I hope I was helpful.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here - I could get an i5 with 256gb SSD and the dedicated GPU for 1599.- to buy or not to buy? Don't want to get one only to find out that a much improved next-gen is released days later :-/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb