Surface Book: wait for shangai event or buy anyway ?

Dredd67

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone ! I'm on the verge of buying a surface book and I was wondering if I should hope something from the Shanghai event ?

I've heard that Surface Pro 5 might be a thing there, but as an amateur photographer I think the Surface Book is still the most interesting tool for me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Since that event is around the corner, why not wait?

Or alternatively, you can buy now, try it out and debate if you want to return it or not later after said event. I just think because it's so close, you should wait.

BrianEmbry

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I am going to wait. See what is coming. I currently using a 2010 MacBook Pro which is excruciatingly slow to boot up but, after that it still works great.

Dredd67

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Moved to Surface Book section.

I just bought a Surface Book last week and I have no regrets. Wonderful device.

Sorry, thanks for cleaning up my mess...

I'll be replacing a 2012 retina Macbook Pro, so I can probably wait two more weeks. I was asking because I don't know if there's a point for me to wait as I'm french: here in France the performance base became available only very recently, so I expect new stuff from Microsoft will also take 6 months to reach us. Plus it's set in Shanghai, so I'm probably not the target...

Am I correct or has Microsoft completely changed its release strategy ? I think the surface laptop in which I'm not interested, is already available to preorder but only in specific configurations. I d'ont know, maybe I'm lost.

Anyways while I'm here, what configuration would you recommend for occasional photo editing (24 Mpixel raws, some photoshop portraits retouching and other stuff using Capture One for instance), some hand drawing if I find the device suitable enough, the other half of the time being used for note taking, web surfing and movie watching ?

I was settled on the i7/16GB/512GB with GTX965M, because I wanted to be sure I could do my photo editing, but now I'm not sure anymore and perhaps it's overkill.

Last edited:

Dredd67

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I am going to wait. See what is coming. I currently using a 2010 MacBook Pro which is excruciatingly slow to boot up but, after that it still works great.
It's also to replace my macbook pro, which is funny enough. I don't have to complain regarding the power, but the battery seems dead and I have now more and more bright dead pixels which is infuriating when editing or watching movies.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
No reason not to wait til the 23rd. Chances are probably quite slim of a new Surface Book, but you don't lose anything by waiting. If a Surface Book 2 is announced, it'll also knock down Surface Book 1 prices a tad. We know something Surface-related is getting announced... might as well wait and see to make a more informed purchase.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
For photo's you need ram. So that's your most important spec. I don't know whats recommended for 24 MP raws generally though.

After that, cpu - for manipulations. But you probably won't be doing crazy wild manipulations, so I don't think you'll run into any trouble there if you decide not to max it.

And probably drive size is somewhat important too I imagine, unless your using something external for storage.

Not being a photo expert, I'm not entirely clued in, but yeah ram is where the image is stored, so if you want that snappy, you need enough ram to hold all the pictures you'll have open + OS and programs.

MizWylie

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm waiting for a little bit. I loved my Surface Pro 4 but there is something about the Surface Book calling me. When I do more research I'll pinpoint it. The older I get the better I seem to get about waiting for new releases. If the SP5 doesn't blow me away I'd be more than happy to scoop up the SB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss