Surface Mouse experience.

joesg

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I got my Surface mouse delivered today and I was really surprised to find that it was a different finish to my Surface Book. I thought the whole point of these Mice and Keyboards were to match the other Surface hardware. The finish was a lot darker and that probably had something to do with the fact that it was plastic (the wheel is metal).

I have filled in the Amazon return form and packed it up to send to the Post Office tomorrow. My return was not simply for the different shade of colour but I also found the mouse to be very big! I know it's not meant to be a portable mouse but it was about 1.5 inches longer than my other 3 mice that I have collected over the years.

So after that little insight to the new Surface mouse I come asking a question, how is the Arc? What's it like size wise and colour. Does it look like the complete set? I'd happily buy one but I don't see the point in paying a premium for the Microsoft brand when I can pick up a Logitech for half the price.

If anyone is wondering, I want a new mouse so I don't take up one of the USB ports. I like the idea of using the Bluetooth.

Any insight in to the Arc Silver edition would be appreciated. This one ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Arc-Touch-Bluetooth-Mouse/dp/B01AHQ0M2C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496422160&sr=8-2&keywords=surface+mouse

Thanks in advance

Joe

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
okay, so things to keep in mind...

the link you provided is for the Microsoft Arc Touch mouse. that's different than the newer Microsoft Surface Arc mouse that's been demonstrated with the Surface Laptop and the Surface Pro machines. just so that's clear.

Arc Touch
s-l1000.jpg

Surface Arc
Microsoft-Surface-Arc-Mouse-03.jpg

obvious differences. there's no true scroll wheel. for some people, that's a deal breaker. for the Surface Arc, the surface acts as a trackpad as well so you could zoom, scroll, etc. for the Arc Touch, the middle buttons act as the scroll wheel.

it's cool that you fold it to turn it on and flatten it to turn it off. but it kind of feels weird in the hand and how it moves across a surface. I would definitely recommend trying it in the store.

joesg

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for you reply, I hadn't seen the new one announced, I think I'll wait for it to arrive in stores before I buy it. I can imagine the new trackpad mouse to be rather annoying but you never know, when I first got a laptop with a touch screen I thought that would be pointless too!

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I actually couldn't make up my mind so for a week before I returned one, I owned both the arc Bluetooth touch and the surface mouse. I ended up returning the arc because, although unfolding it flat meant great portability, when I was trying to use it, my fingers kept getting caught on the underside of it and I couldn't get used to it. Also, it is darker than the surface mouse so won't match as well. I personally like the surface mouse because for me it matches well enough and feels great in the hand.

The Microsoft designer mouse is black but offers nearly a great palmability as the surface mouse but is flatter for more portability.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I really like my arc touch (with the scroll slide), it's actually quite comfortable to use, and that it flattens away, is really compact.

My one gripe is the scroll touch. That part sucks. Would have been so much better with some sort of scroll wheel instead. I find that the feel is a little too grippy on my finger.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I bought the Surface Arc and didn't like it. So then I bought the Surface mouse and I prefer it. They both are bluetooth.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
i think the surface mouse came out with the surface studio and matches that and the surface keyboard. surface book is different

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I also tried the Surface Arc and didn't like the feel compared to a standard ergonomic mouse like my Logitech Triathlon M720. My wife likes it though so I didn't have to return it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon