Surface Pro 7 deal! Save big at Amazon right now

11-13-2017 09:35 AM
61 123
tools
    Overall, I think the SB2 15 is a better buy than the 13. The GTX 1060 is much less common in notebooks, except as noted by others above in gaming systems (which are often under $2000). But gaming systems typically are much bulkier, they usually have terrible battery life, their displays are usually average at best (unless you spend closer to $3000), and they're designed for flat-out performance and so they're usually very hot and loud.

To get a productivity notebook with a GTX 1060 is much less common. Asus was going to put a GTX 1060 in the new Zenbook Pro UX550, but for some reason they scaled it back to a GTX 1050 Ti. Really, the SB2 15 is in a special class because of the display quality, battery life, and overall form factor. There's not another 2-in-1 like it. So I can see spending $3000 on an SB2 15 where I would never spend $2000 (or whatever) on a SB2 13. If I really needed a GTX 1050 in a 2-in-1, I'd get the Lenovo Yoga 720 15.

To me, the only real downside to the SB2 15 is that it's not 4K. It's sufficiently high resolution, but it's not going to play 4K video, which a machine like the Spectre x360 15 will do, and very nicely. As a writer, though, I'd have to opt for the 3:2 aspect ratio and just live with less than 4K video (which is really only some Netflix content in Edge right now, anyways). I'll probably bite the bullet and buy the 16GB/512GB version for $2800 or whatever. It's a lot of money, but there's just not another system that I know about that will meet all of my needs the way the SB2 15 will do.
    10-22-2017 08:02 PM
    I believe that I fall into the target market for this device. I do think it's an expensive piece of hardware... but not "too expensive".

By that I mean, I think it's priced about right for what it is. It looks like a great option to have as a mobile studio. I think it's competitive with Wacom's Mobile Studio Pro which is also around $3000.
    https://us-store.wacom.com/product/w...01#/undefined1

Sure, the pen is sold separately. However, at this price, that's not really going to be a deal breaker.

Wacom has the better screen. Microsoft has the better graphics card.

If an artistic professional needs a mobile device, then this is a great option.
    10-22-2017 09:16 PM
    Frankly, in an age of $500 laptops I'm absolutely flabbergasted than any retailer would have the audacity to charge this much. This is precisely the reason I hate Apple with their posh attitudes. As a huge Microsoft fan in many regards they've totally alienated all the tragically underpaid developers such as myself. With specs like the SBs have, their pricing is completely unjustifiable in my eyes, so I guess I'll never know what this supposed "unparelled Windows experience" is really like. *drools* * whimpers* :'(
    10-22-2017 10:32 PM
    I am a product advisor and trainer for Surface and Windows OEM devices and can say that apart from the rare specs regarding CPU, GPU, RAM, and SSD storage all Surfaces surpass other PCs in nearly all other aspects. Their calibrated displays, optimised cameras, keyboard mechanics, touch and pen digitizers, choice of materials, additions like hall effect sensors and the range of ports for connectivity, available accessories, Win 10 Pro ... If you need or want to rely on these features this all sums up to a price point that I find very compelling to spec-wise comparable devices.
    I have to question how well you know the products and your commitment to your clients.

I been an MCSE since the mid 90's and owned a MS Premier Partner Company. I can say after owning each of the Surface Pro devices, Band, Xbox, Zune and others, I will not purchase another MS Device as long as Satay Nadella is CEO. I can not trust him or the company any longer. The Surface 1 and 2 been great, however the 3's and 4's flooded with issues. Every unit has been warrantied at least once.

For the Record the Zune and OXB where the Most reliable products ever out of MS IMO.
    10-22-2017 10:57 PM
    I'm not sure why you feel the need to question his character just because you've had a different experience.
    10-22-2017 11:13 PM
    In comparison to Apple or Wacom, maybe No. But in perspective of everything else, Yes.

Some people could afford and bite the bullet on purchasing a $2000-3000 device that they will use professionally or for enthusiast--which is fair. The only problem I have with Surface line is that it's just irreparable (esp. outside of U.S. or a measly 1-yea time warranty), taken the fact that you must remove everything just to replace a battery in 2-3 years.

Microsoft's Surface lease program could solve this every 1.5 years, but it is just to risky and expensive to own.
    FXi2 likes this.
    10-23-2017 01:20 AM
    Add two usb type c thunderbolt ports, remove the stupid gap and make it twice as thin and then I am buying
    BryanMahendra likes this.
    10-23-2017 03:11 AM
    Agree with most of your points. If they have made the Surface Laptop (1kg-1.25kg) detachable--2k resolution & 50wh battery is fine. I'd buy it.

The gap however, is quite nice for ergonomics. Never had one before but say in Studio Mode the angle would ease viewing and neck strain.
    10-23-2017 04:26 AM
    Agree with most of your points. If they have made the Surface Laptop (1kg-1.25kg) detachable--2k resolution & 50wh battery is fine. I'd buy it.

The gap however, is quite nice for ergonomics. Never had one before but say in Studio Mode the angle would ease viewing and neck strain.
    10-23-2017 04:26 AM
    The thing I'm waiting for is built in storage and charging of pen. That needs to happen soon for these devices if MS wants inking to really take off.
    10-23-2017 05:48 AM
    Their business model with this is to create a premium device to encourage OEMs to compete with, and raise the perception of the quality of Windows based products. Not to churn out high volume low margin junk.

So, no, they are priced about right. Plus it's not that much money anyway.
    10-23-2017 06:37 AM
    It's a lovely device. It has many improvements in innovation and design compared to other 2-in-1 laptop convertible devices over the years. However, I think, for it's price for the mid- to high pricing range of this device is currently too expensive to warrant that tag. For that I would expect better batterylife from the tablet portion at least as equal as the latest surface pro. I think an ARM based tablet version, combined with an intell power cpu in the base, would have been an interesting combo. Secondly, I think windows 10 is still not quite finished as well for a great all round package experience. Even on my surface pro I still see many unifinished parts of windows that could easily be adressed, but are unfortunately still lagging behind over 2 years. If these issues were adressed I could see myself warrant the price and investment of this device. But right now I think it still is a pioneering device, with the acceptance of its shortcomings. The device is short from perfect, but I can see a manageable short journey on the horizon to really get there.
    For now I'm focussing on the surface pro "5" LTE.
    esmjahan likes this.
    10-23-2017 07:51 AM
    On a comparative basis no it's not, the top of the line razor blade is 5,000 dollars usd with the 1080, with the 1060 it's 2,299 usd. However you don't get the ability to use the laptop as a tablet, use different bases, no pen support however with the surface book 2 there is no thunderbolt support as of yet.

So it's priced accordingly in my opinion.

Not to mention it has opened up new markets for OEMs with premium 2/3-in1 devices.
    10-23-2017 08:11 AM
    The Acer Swift 3 isn't even close to the specs of the SB 2.
    10-23-2017 08:13 AM
    Hey, who would pay 1K+ for a phone? Oh wait, Apple is concerned they will not be able to keep up with demand. If the SB2 does what you need when you need and gives you value for your money, then 3K is cheap. If you are just using it to surf the web and social media, then get an android tablet and be done. I have the original SB and it does everything I need and is used every day 8+ hrs a day. I will likely sell my current SB and get the SB2 sometime next year. For my needs, it is the most portable powerhouse for what I use it for which is programming and photo editing.
    10-23-2017 08:27 AM
    Its a premium device with premium engineering and innovation, so no, not too expensive really. Before buying my surface pro 4 I tried to find comparable devices at a lower price point and yes I could save £30 but the look and feel of the surface more that made up for the £30 saving.
    10-23-2017 08:28 AM
    No! It's not too expensive. Have you priced out a Mac?
    10-23-2017 08:29 AM
    I was expecting to see a poll to choose Yes/No. Anyway, the price is just right because this device packs some amazing tech. Making a detachable device with that elaborate hinge is much more expensive compared to a straight laptop. Surface Book 2 is not the most powerful work-horse because the CPU must be inside the thin clipboard. First, a powerful CPU would need a spacious cooling system with large fans which do not fit inside the clipboard. Second, with a powerful 45 Watt CPU, the battery life with the tablet mode would be very short. So, do not compare this device with Dell Precision or Alienware. Surface Book 2 is a unique device in its own league. If it fits in your workflow, it is worth the price.
    10-23-2017 09:49 AM
    I've been with the Surface brand since the RT days. Call me biased, but I fell in love right from the start, and I still have an RT running in the house. Moved up to the SP3 when it came out, and this is still my daily driver with nigh a hickup. It might have cost a pretty penny, but seeing it's replaced 2-3 devices I used to have, and seeing it works flawlessly to this day, even with demanding tasks*, I don't see a problem with Microsoft's pricing strategy for the SB2. Personally of course I wish it were cheaper, but I also know I'd get what I paid for if I were to upgrade to the SB2.

*Photoshop, FHD video editing, electronics CAD, programming, Linux VMs... (i5/256)
    Last edited by GG002; 10-23-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    10-23-2017 09:50 AM
    Yes...way too expensive...and before some of you start talking about comparative to apple...wasn't it just a few years ago that MSFT had a laptop campaign against apple with all the TV ads talking about a laptop vs an apple and what they could do at a significantly cheaper price...so much so that Apple requested that MSFT pull the ads? It had a big impact on the market at the time. I understand wanting to compete, and the....wanting the "premium" feel, but I also have to agree with some of the folks that mentioned that MSFT has a bad history of abandoning its products.
    theefman likes this.
    10-23-2017 10:30 AM
    So, we now know many of the official details on the new Surface Book 2, including the specs and pricing. And it looks amazing. But it's also REALLY expensive, with the 13-inch version starting at around $1,500 and the 15-inch version going all the way up to $3,000. Yeah, $3,000 for a laptop is kind of ridiculous, right?

This really isn't anything new, of course. Microsoft's Surface line has always been pricey, but it also delivers an unparelled Windows experience. Is the new Book too expensive? A Windows Central poll found almost the exactly same percentage of people who plan to buy the Surface Book 2 ASAP said "no way, it's too expensive." What do you think?
    YES it is, It makes me wish it's software was a little better, and dominated by flawless graphic performance on desktop software, and UI consistency.
    10-23-2017 12:54 PM
    The subject of whether the Surface line is worth it has been beaten to death. If you don't see value in all premium products whether it be cars, boats, clothing and electronics than you never will.

**edit** And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that...
    10-23-2017 01:19 PM
    Being a developer, I will definitely be buying one and will pre-order 11/09. Pricewise, it'll be justified due to that one device replacing my 15" MacBook Pro, iPad Pro 12.3", and Surface Pro 4. I'll most likely order the 13.5" version with 16GB RAM and 512GB storage, but could possibly move up to the 15" version...just not entirely sure yet.
    10-23-2017 02:27 PM
    You called it. There is only one 2-in-1 with a quad core. Vaio makes it & it hasn't been updated since they split from Sony. A piece of kit like this paired with a large screen [surface studio/Dell canvas] is all I've been waiting for... 3k is cheap when you price a Wacom mobilestudio and a cintiq pro
    10-23-2017 03:57 PM
    The Surface Book 2 with top specs costs -- some 3-400$ more than a Surface Pro (2017) or Surface Laptop with similar amount of RAM and disk space. For those 3-400$ you get (i) bigger screen/higher resolution, (ii) better battery life, (iii) 4 cores vs. 2 cores/more recent CPU, (iv) discrete GPU, (v) better keyboard (I assume...). The "downside" is that the Book is bigger and heavier. In my view, the Book 2 is not excessively expensive compared to the other offers in the Surface line. But of course, it is expensive.
    10-23-2017 04:13 PM
61 123