Is the Surface Book 2 just TOO expensive?

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
So, we now know many of the official details on the new Surface Book 2, including the specs and pricing. And it looks amazing. But it's also REALLY expensive, with the 13-inch version starting at around $1,500 and the 15-inch version going all the way up to $3,000. Yeah, $3,000 for a laptop is kind of ridiculous, right?

This really isn't anything new, of course. Microsoft's Surface line has always been pricey, but it also delivers an unparelled Windows experience. Is the new Book too expensive? A Windows Central poll found almost the exactly same percentage of people who plan to buy the Surface Book 2 ASAP said "no way, it's too expensive." What do you think?

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
All valid feedback. But do you need to spend $3,000 to get the same experience? Or are other comparable and cheaper Windows laptops close?

FangerZero

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
The SB2 is pretty damned expensive, but so was the SB. As they said you pay for something that is pretty. What I like about the SB2 is it has the ability to take hand written notes/doodles which I actually carry around a regular notebook for, it'll be great for coding because of the screen ratio, and the power should have the ability to game anywhere. I just hope they update the Surface Dock with USB C, HDMI, and optical audio port.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
All valid feedback. But do you need to spend $3,000 to get the same experience? Or are other comparable and cheaper Windows laptops close?

I don't think anything else offers the same experience to be honest, it's the largest and most powerful 2 in 1 where the screen detaches from the keyboard.

It is very expensive, priced in a way that I won't be buying it, but I've spent over 2k on a laptop before.

hamphlet

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
There's an Acer Swift 3 laptop reviewed by Windows Central earlier this week. It has largely the same specs as the bottom end SB2 any yet it's only a third of the price. I know people will say that better battery life, screen, styling and build quality etc are all worth a little bit extra, but this isn't a little bit, is it? Buy one if you want to, but Microsoft are taking you for a ride. You can find much better value elsewhere.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Is the new Book too expensive?

I am a product advisor and trainer for Surface and Windows OEM devices and can say that apart from the rare specs regarding CPU, GPU, RAM, and SSD storage all Surfaces surpass other PCs in nearly all other aspects. Their calibrated displays, optimised cameras, keyboard mechanics, touch and pen digitizers, choice of materials, additions like hall effect sensors and the range of ports for connectivity, available accessories, Win 10 Pro ... If you need or want to rely on these features this all sums up to a price point that I find very compelling to spec-wise comparable devices.

hawkeye2604

Oct 22, 2017
Visit site
I have spent months looking for a new laptop to upgrade from SP4 i7 16gb. I've tried (and returned) an XPS 13, Spectre x360, Yoga 720, MBP 15. None have offered the flexibility or overall quality of the Surface.

I am still looking now, and have considered so many options it's ridiculous. The spec for the 13.5 SB 2 just seem perfect. Yes it's expensive, but it hits literally everything I need for coding, writing, browsing, media. The only thing I wish it had was a tablet kick-stand - seems crazy I know but I love being able to prop up and take up minimal space (like the SP).

I'm fairly sure I will pre-order in a couple of weeks. Only other option for me right now is the Acer Switch 7, but no clue on pricing

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am a product advisor and trainer for Surface and Windows OEM devices and can say that apart from the rare specs regarding CPU, GPU, RAM, and SSD storage all Surfaces surpass other PCs in nearly all other aspects. Their calibrated displays, optimised cameras, keyboard mechanics, touch and pen digitizers, choice of materials, additions like hall effect sensors and the range of ports for connectivity, available accessories, Win 10 Pro ... If you need or want to rely on these features this all sums up to a price point that I find very compelling to spec-wise comparable devices.

With all due respect, you'd be pretty crap at your job if you didnt say what you said.

Microsoft are a client of mine and I can safely say that Surface has had issues (most machines do) and like someone above said, it takes them a long time to patch things up. As for the question. Absolutely it is too expensive, but they have to as they want to be premium and compete (and better) the Apple machine. Have to say that Apple have really dropped the ball, the hay days of Job are gone and the wolves are out.

Deejay Spinn

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
I love it. I've been a Surface user since it's first tablet came out in 2012. I'm currently a Pro 4 user and it's the best device Windows device I've ever had. As far as the new Surface Book, yeah, it's tempting. I absolutely love the bigger 15" one. And yeah, even thought I can buy one right now, I don't need it because my Surface Pro 4 get the job done for me, and I use it more in Tablet form. But if I decide between now and Christmas or right after the new year that I want one, I will most certainly buy one. It is by far one of the best Windows machines out there.

Salvador Hernandez1

Oct 22, 2017
Visit site
No, the device is priced right. I think most of the people looking at this laptap do not need it. This device is best suited for professionals in video, graphics, CAD, or gamers. If all you do is check social media, email, and stream Netflix, then you should be looking at the surface laptop or surface pros. Our IT has to configure our laptops and we end up with similar specs for about 2500 and we end with these tank looking laptops that I never want to take with me. Microsoft has created a device that fills our needs and actually is something I would carry with me. The reality is this too much computer for most and should be marketed more at enterprise or gamers

MsftMan

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
In an effort to create attractive devices, I think it's too much "Form over Function." The lack of upgrade-ability and non-replaceable batteries makes the new devices too disposable in my opinion. Which is probably why Microsoft has that "Surface as a Service" lease program.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte