Is the Surface Book 2 just TOO expensive?

psh_vt

May 8, 2017
Visit site
The simplest answer for me is -- would the cost keep me from buying it? And the answer is, no. I'm a college teacher and musician -- I use my computer for hours a day and don't want any compromises. There is no benefit for me to cut corners, get an under-performing computer that doesn't do what I need to save some money.

Mr_Armageddon

Oct 22, 2017
Visit site
The SB2 is missing a pretty big technological component when asking this much price wise. Yes it finally has USB Type-C, but its only USB 3, not Thunderbolt3. That puts it in a pretty huge disadvantage against other modern laptops (including the MacBooks) that can utilize an eGPU dock for a bump in graphic performance, increased IO connections + charging with a single cable. Yes it has a midrange laptop GPU, but that's still pretty anemic compared to what can be achieved with an eGPU enclosure with a Desktop grade GPU.
I was waiting for this announcement, but as it stands I just purchased a HP Spectre X360 15t (15", 8th Gen i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD, GTX 1050 GPU, Pen Support, Thunderbolt3) for $1600. Around $1000 cheaper AND works with my Desktop eGPU dock.
Maybe next year Microsoft...

Last edited:

blazewon22

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I think the 15" laptop at $3000 is comparable to gaming laptops/desktops with 1060 GPU cards. It's cheaper than a similar spec'd MacBook Pro with a more powerful GPU and can function as a 2 in 1. It also can replace an Xbox S with the specs for gaming. Let's not forget the VR.

With cell phones Cracking the $1000 mark I would say that double the price for a laptop is reasonable. You get a longer lifecycle and can do so much more on a PC.

I suspect most people will get the mid size versions of the 13 & 15".

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I was waiting for this announcement, but as it stands I just purchased a HP Spectre X360 15t (15", 8th Gen i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD, GTX 1050 GPU, Pen Support, Thunderbolt3) for $1600. Around $1000 cheaper AND works with my Desktop eGPU dock.
Maybe next year Microsoft...

The Spectre x360 15t has a GeForce MX150, not a GTX 1050. Significant difference. That said, I'd say it's the best overall competition to the SB2 13-inch. The GTX 1060 in the SB2 15-inch puts it in another class entirely, though. Agreed that Thunderbolt 3 was a big ommission, but it's a bigger issue for the SB2 13 than it is for the 15 -- but note, I'm pretty sure the Thunderbolt 3 in the Spectre x360 15 (not the 13) is only two channels, not four, and so external GPU performance might be a little limited.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I have always seen Surface as a product that shows the world it is better than the Macs. And it competes at high prices like the Macs. So Surface is there to prove it's better than the Macs and then the oems need to prove they are better than the surface. I just don't see MS ever lowering the price and undercutting their oems. The Porsche book came after the surface and was a way better design with intense features and was cheaper. MS has to position itself at the highest price category.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Overall, I think the SB2 15 is a better buy than the 13. The GTX 1060 is much less common in notebooks, except as noted by others above in gaming systems (which are often under $2000). But gaming systems typically are much bulkier, they usually have terrible battery life, their displays are usually average at best (unless you spend closer to $3000), and they're designed for flat-out performance and so they're usually very hot and loud.

To get a productivity notebook with a GTX 1060 is much less common. Asus was going to put a GTX 1060 in the new Zenbook Pro UX550, but for some reason they scaled it back to a GTX 1050 Ti. Really, the SB2 15 is in a special class because of the display quality, battery life, and overall form factor. There's not another 2-in-1 like it. So I can see spending $3000 on an SB2 15 where I would never spend $2000 (or whatever) on a SB2 13. If I really needed a GTX 1050 in a 2-in-1, I'd get the Lenovo Yoga 720 15.

To me, the only real downside to the SB2 15 is that it's not 4K. It's sufficiently high resolution, but it's not going to play 4K video, which a machine like the Spectre x360 15 will do, and very nicely. As a writer, though, I'd have to opt for the 3:2 aspect ratio and just live with less than 4K video (which is really only some Netflix content in Edge right now, anyways). I'll probably bite the bullet and buy the 16GB/512GB version for $2800 or whatever. It's a lot of money, but there's just not another system that I know about that will meet all of my needs the way the SB2 15 will do.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe that I fall into the target market for this device. I do think it's an expensive piece of hardware... but not "too expensive".

By that I mean, I think it's priced about right for what it is. It looks like a great option to have as a mobile studio. I think it's competitive with Wacom's Mobile Studio Pro which is also around $3000.
https://us-store.wacom.com/product/wacom-mobilestudio-16-S01#/undefined1

Sure, the pen is sold separately. However, at this price, that's not really going to be a deal breaker.

Wacom has the better screen. Microsoft has the better graphics card.

If an artistic professional needs a mobile device, then this is a great option.

Chiramisu

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Frankly, in an age of $500 laptops I'm absolutely flabbergasted than any retailer would have the audacity to charge this much. This is precisely the reason I hate Apple with their posh attitudes. As a huge Microsoft fan in many regards they've totally alienated all the tragically underpaid developers such as myself. With specs like the SBs have, their pricing is completely unjustifiable in my eyes, so I guess I'll never know what this supposed "unparelled Windows experience" is really like. *drools* * whimpers* :'(

anon(5327207)

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I am a product advisor and trainer for Surface and Windows OEM devices and can say that apart from the rare specs regarding CPU, GPU, RAM, and SSD storage all Surfaces surpass other PCs in nearly all other aspects. Their calibrated displays, optimised cameras, keyboard mechanics, touch and pen digitizers, choice of materials, additions like hall effect sensors and the range of ports for connectivity, available accessories, Win 10 Pro ... If you need or want to rely on these features this all sums up to a price point that I find very compelling to spec-wise comparable devices.

I have to question how well you know the products and your commitment to your clients.

I been an MCSE since the mid 90's and owned a MS Premier Partner Company. I can say after owning each of the Surface Pro devices, Band, Xbox, Zune and others, I will not purchase another MS Device as long as Satay Nadella is CEO. I can not trust him or the company any longer. The Surface 1 and 2 been great, however the 3's and 4's flooded with issues. Every unit has been warrantied at least once.

For the Record the Zune and OXB where the Most reliable products ever out of MS IMO.

BryanMahendra

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
In comparison to Apple or Wacom, maybe No. But in perspective of everything else, Yes.

Some people could afford and bite the bullet on purchasing a $2000-3000 device that they will use professionally or for enthusiast--which is fair. The only problem I have with Surface line is that it's just irreparable (esp. outside of U.S. or a measly 1-yea time warranty), taken the fact that you must remove everything just to replace a battery in 2-3 years.

Microsoft's Surface lease program could solve this every 1.5 years, but it is just to risky and expensive to own.

BryanMahendra

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Agree with most of your points. If they have made the Surface Laptop (1kg-1.25kg) detachable--2k resolution & 50wh battery is fine. I'd buy it.

The gap however, is quite nice for ergonomics. Never had one before but say in Studio Mode the angle would ease viewing and neck strain.

BryanMahendra

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Agree with most of your points. If they have made the Surface Laptop (1kg-1.25kg) detachable--2k resolution & 50wh battery is fine. I'd buy it.

The gap however, is quite nice for ergonomics. Never had one before but say in Studio Mode the angle would ease viewing and neck strain.

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The thing I'm waiting for is built in storage and charging of pen. That needs to happen soon for these devices if MS wants inking to really take off.

covfefe

Banned
Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Their business model with this is to create a premium device to encourage OEMs to compete with, and raise the perception of the quality of Windows based products. Not to churn out high volume low margin junk.

So, no, they are priced about right. Plus it's not that much money anyway.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It's a lovely device. It has many improvements in innovation and design compared to other 2-in-1 laptop convertible devices over the years. However, I think, for it's price for the mid- to high pricing range of this device is currently too expensive to warrant that tag. For that I would expect better batterylife from the tablet portion at least as equal as the latest surface pro. I think an ARM based tablet version, combined with an intell power cpu in the base, would have been an interesting combo. Secondly, I think windows 10 is still not quite finished as well for a great all round package experience. Even on my surface pro I still see many unifinished parts of windows that could easily be adressed, but are unfortunately still lagging behind over 2 years. If these issues were adressed I could see myself warrant the price and investment of this device. But right now I think it still is a pioneering device, with the acceptance of its shortcomings. The device is short from perfect, but I can see a manageable short journey on the horizon to really get there.
For now I'm focussing on the surface pro "5" LTE.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
On a comparative basis no it's not, the top of the line razor blade is 5,000 dollars usd with the 1080, with the 1060 it's 2,299 usd. However you don't get the ability to use the laptop as a tablet, use different bases, no pen support however with the surface book 2 there is no thunderbolt support as of yet.

So it's priced accordingly in my opinion.

Not to mention it has opened up new markets for OEMs with premium 2/3-in1 devices.

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey, who would pay 1K+ for a phone? Oh wait, Apple is concerned they will not be able to keep up with demand. If the SB2 does what you need when you need and gives you value for your money, then 3K is cheap. If you are just using it to surf the web and social media, then get an android tablet and be done. I have the original SB and it does everything I need and is used every day 8+ hrs a day. I will likely sell my current SB and get the SB2 sometime next year. For my needs, it is the most portable powerhouse for what I use it for which is programming and photo editing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos