Did Microsoft make the Surface Book 2 13 inch bigger on purpose?

ramius

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Surface Book 2 smallest size is 13,5 inch. Is that bigger than the old 13 inch version?

I just looked at my box for it and it doesnt say anything about the size. But wasnt it 13,3 inch?

So my question is naturally, did Microsoft purposefully make it bigger so people couldnt use their old Surface Book screens on next generation performance bases?

I was hoping they would allow for this genius upgradability. This is partly the reason I bought the machine. With the prospect of buying a newer performance base years later. Panos Panay even commented on this and said they could have sold the parts separatly.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
The original Surface Book was 13.5 inches as well. But the SB2 still isn't interchangeable with the old bases, because they changed the locking mechanism.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Only thing in the base is battery and GPU, every other improvement comes with the screen because it functions as a tablet.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
No, did they? Nobody has said that anywhere. They only changed material

I can't remember Microsoft stating unequivocally that the SB2 tablet won't work with the OG SB base (or vice versa). However, the locking mechanism is definitely different on the SB2 (for one thing, narrower but taller locking tabs on the base). Check out any of the side-by-side shots of the OG SB and the SB2 with the tablet removed. I'd be surprised if the OG SB and SB2 are interchangeable.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
"Did Microsoft make the Surface Book 2 13 inch bigger on purpose?"

Yes as they designed it that way.

I kid you not that people would split and sell not caring of the results. Good move MS.

Or, maybe, they needed more room for cooling as we're talking about a quad core cpu and 1050.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos