Surface Book screen not responding to pen

AlanP

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I've got a Surface Book (the original model) and it's developed an issue lately where the screen sometimes stops responding to the pen. The eraser button still works properly, but I'm unable to interact with the screen using the pen. (Touch generally works as normal.) Rebooting eventually fixes the issue. Is anyone else running into this? The problem is definitely not my pen (which has fresh batteries): my pen works fine on other Surfaces, and when my screen stops responding to pen input, other Surface pens won't work either. Is anyone else seeing this issue, and does anyone have any thoughts about the cause or how to fix it?

pdwalpole

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I've got a Surface Book (the original model) and it's developed an issue lately where the screen sometimes stops responding to the pen. The eraser button still works properly, but I'm unable to interact with the screen using the pen. (Touch generally works as normal.) Rebooting eventually fixes the issue. Is anyone else running into this? The problem is definitely not my pen (which has fresh batteries): my pen works fine on other Surfaces, and when my screen stops responding to pen input, other Surface pens won't work either. Is anyone else seeing this issue, and does anyone have any thoughts about the cause or how to fix it?

I am having the exact same issue, I believe. Fairly new Surface Book (first model), recognizes pen clicks (i.e., launches panel with pen tools) but consistently stops recognizing input from the pen. Restart fixes this, but it makes me worry about my new computer!

Stocklone

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. Only restart fixes the screen not responding to the pen. Getting rather annoying. My Surface Book is a replacement that I got 9 months after the original launch. Very annoying to have to restart my computer at the beginning of every meeting.

AlanP

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi, everyone -- I took my PC to the Microsoft Store for help a week ago. A tech guy there reinstalled the digitizer driver. I didn't expect it to help, but I haven't had this problem since. So maybe that did the trick?

pdwalpole

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
You know, I think I fixed it! I've been Googling the problem, and hadn't had any luck, but came on this solution this morning: Device Manager -- Human Input Devices -- Intel Precise Touch Device -- Power Management -- Allow computer to turn off this device to save power -- default is checked on, check it off.

Before, if the computer had been on, lid closed, then opened again later to do some work then the screen would not recognize pen input. Now -- I think -- it works! Just been a few hours, but it looks promising.

Stocklone

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately unchecking that box that did not help me. At least now I know I can disable and enable the Intel Precise Touch Device to fix pen input rather than restarting the entire device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo