Performance difference between 13.5 and 15 inch i7 processors.

doach5

Nov 8, 2017
Visit site
Since they both have the same CPU with different thermal limits, the 15 inch will have better performance. Or do they have different thermal limits?

According to notebookcheck they dont. Since the 15 inch SB2 has a fan it will run at higher frequencies for longer. Not because of limits placed on the cpu according to them.

"Contrary to previous assumptions, the processor in the smaller Surface Book 2 is not limited to 15W. According to the tool Intel XTU, the power limits are 35W for short workloads and even up to 25W for the long term."

https://www.notebookcheck.net/First...rface-Book-2-Convertible-Review.263954.0.html

So on short workloads they should perform about the same?

I am still undecided. Users with 13.5 inch i7 models and users with 15 inch models can you post up some geekbench 4 scores to find out?

https://youtu.be/eClGBqV63P8

https://youtu.be/gJhk_D3wVMc

Last edited:

Garcessist

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I will give you some advice on the 13.5 inch. I am currently waiting for the 15 inch 512 to go back in stock so that I can return this unit for the larger one. The main issue with the 13.5 is that even light gaming or light tasks cause the tablet portion where the CPU is to get unbearably hot. This is due to the fact there is no fan in the tablet portion which was a big mistake. I am more concerned with my CPU overheating and giving out due to the head issues than anything else.

doach5

Nov 8, 2017
Visit site
This came up in a interview with one of Microsofts engineers.

They were saying the passive cooling solution is a updated version from the new surface pro. From the you tube video the heat has little impact on CPU performance. The surfacebook 2 has sensors for the outside of the laptop so it doesn't get too hot like the surface pro. Maybe the heat is from the passive cooling not the CPU?

Maybe the one you have is defective? On the video from youtube and multiple reviews outside heat was not a issue? Maybe they did not put them through the same kind of stress?

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated. Now i am leaning toward a 15 if this is the case.

Last edited:

Garcessist

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered the new 15inch I will get in on Wednesday. My final straw was my son was playing a jig saw puzzle app game I picked up the SB2 13.5 and it was burning.

doach5

Nov 8, 2017
Visit site
Good to hear! All the reviews said it ran relatively warm under heavy load but not hot. I ran more than a few benchmarks on my brothers SB2 with no issues. Spent alot of time with The 13.5 but not the 15.

doach5

Nov 8, 2017
Visit site
Do you think you got a defective unit? Or do you think the stress you are putting it under is more than normal?

I agree that the size differences are not that great. Like comparing a 15'6 inch 16:9 laptop to a 14 16:9 lnch laptop. The 15 is bigger though and maybe is the difference maker to some. I like that the 13.5 has no fan in the tablet piece of the laptop.
My brothers 13.5 SB2 was virtually silent.

Garcessist

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Do you think you got a defective unit? Or do you think the stress you are putting it under is more than normal?

I agree that the size differences are not that great. Like comparing a 15'6 inch 16:9 laptop to a 14 16:9 lnch laptop. The 15 is bigger though and maybe is the difference maker to some. I like that the 13.5 has no fan in the tablet piece of the laptop.
My brothers 13.5 SB2 was virtually silent.

Not sure if it was defective or no but I don't think the stress was that much under regular load web surfing video streaming e-mail etc. It was getting very hot. When playing a 10 year old game World of Warcraft the tablet would get really hot and making a pretty loud coil whine.

I just got the 15inch today in the mail and am already noticing the system is running cooler am waiting for all my updates before I give my verdict on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss