With the Surface Book 2 out, will Microsoft update the Surface dock?

FangerZero

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
I've been trying to get a Surface Book 2, SB2, but Microsoft keeps removing it from the cart when I go to buy the thing. While I wait to buy it, does anyone think Microsoft is going to update the Surface Dock this spring?

It's been over 2 years since it's release, and sitting at 90 watts. If you connect the SB2 and peripherals I can't see the SB2 maintaining any kind of charge. Considering that the SB2's 102 watts barely charges it, if it charges, when using GPU intensive applications.

doach5

Nov 8, 2017
Visit site
This is something i didnt consider since i just bought a new one still in the box never used yet. Anyone using a SB2 and using the dock care to elaborate here?

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I would have loved them to update the dock, not just with more power but also with a USB-C port or two. Unfortunately, I couldn't wait on the off-change they would.

My dock seems to power the SB2 fine. I haven't, it has to be said, run anything that really stresses the GPU.

If I have time this evening, I'll install a game and give the SB2 some stress and let you know what I find.

However, I do have issues with the SB2 dropping the wired network (into the dock) and reverting to WiFi for no apparent reason. Only power cycling the dock or unplugging the dock from the SB2 and plugging it in again fixes the problem, for a brief period.

FangerZero

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Podsnap, that'd be awesome. If it indeed does not charge the device well, I know to bug Microsoft like crazy to hear their answers. Also maybe your dock is malfunctioning and needs an update? Or to be replaced? Just guessing here.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I've not had time to test it properly, just a short 20 minute session. But here are my initial findings.

I realise I should have said that my SB2 is a 13" Core i7 16GB Ram 512GB model so may not suffer the problem the 15" ones allegedly have.

I downloaded Forza Horizon 3 (already had it on my Xbox One so Play Anywhere grooviness).

With my dock, I have a keyboard dongle, mouse dongle, external HD, network, audio and an old 24" Dell 1920x1200 DVI monitor plugged in.

Forza took forever to go through an optimisation process which (once loaded) while playable and looked amazing (on the external monitor) was low frame rates and every few minutes I'd get a warning about low video memory (which even cropped up in the loading screen), just a subtle 'in game' message at the top of the screen.

It certainly pushed the card and the fan came on gradually till it was going full tilt.

After 20 minutes, coming out of the game, both batteries were at 100%.

I'll try to give it a longer session later but as I say, the 13" probably doesn't suffer the issue the 15" does.

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
FWIW, I have the new Surface Book 2 15-inch, and I've been using it every day with the Surface Dock without any issues. I haven't done any gaming, but I regulary edit media and run a bunch of apps at the same time, along with some streaming. It keeps the device fully charged at all times. And I've charged it from nearly dead a couple times without issue, while working. So in my experience, this is not an issue.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I preordered the 15" 1TB Nov 10, and MS cancelled it. Call them today and they said it is out of stock. Wtf. They gave me a $50 credit. I will wait until the 1TB is back in stock.
As for Surface dock, i have it. Rubino said they are working on a new one. So i will wait for that unless you must have it now.

FangerZero

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
I don't yet have a SB2, because of the oos issue. I can't get to the submit order part. So I'm waiting until they are in stock myself. I just hope my laptop can make it. It's on the verge of death. And I hope that they release news on that dock in February or March.

anon(601415)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I still miss the SP3 Dock. I had gotten the free adapter to use with my SP4 and it was great. I wish we could have something similar for SB2. Seems possible.
I'm using the current dock with my SB2 i7/16/512 with no issues, but I don't play games.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
In early November Microsoft issued a firmware update for the Surface Dock. I can't find anyplace that they advertised their action, and I stumbled across it by accident. Here's a link.

Dock Firmware

This update or one of the two earlier unannounced updates must have fixed the initial problems I had with the mini-display ports on the Dock, because they work now on two different Books. The ports were previously sketchy at best when I had only the original Book connected to the Dock.

It would probably be a good idea to bring out a Dock 2 with enhanced power supply, but I wouldn't hold my breath in anticipation of its release.

I too am a fan of the Pro 3 Dock, which houses my 2017 Pro at this moment. It's even more under-powered than the brick-shaped Dock, but it never had the display output problems that the brick did until the firmware updates.

Off topic, but I wouldn't mind if Microsoft produced a male to female Surface ribbon connector so that the Clipboard portion of a Book could be mounted in a frame adjacent to an external display while still connected to its base though not physically attached to it. I suspect that a couple of driver tweaks might be needed to make this work the way I envision.

Last edited:

anon(601415)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Here I thought it was updating itself -- turns out it wasn't! Thank you for the information, it's working much better. It still flickers off and on repeatedly every morning when I first power up. Then about 15-20 minutes later the monitor goes off for about 3 seconds then comes back on. It only seems to do that once, so far. Also, when I plug or unplug USB devices, the monitor goes off and on. I've tried 3 different DisplayPort cables, all with the same results. Crazy stuff, but at least it is mostly stable when I'm just working.

Thanks again for your help!

anon(601415)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
It has gotten progressively worse, acting more like it did prior to the firmware update. It never recognizes the external monitor upon initial boot. I have to disconnect the dock then connect it again, but the windows on the external monitor have weird gaps in the outer borders. So I restart and it seems to do the trick. But I have to do this every single time I shut down and boot with the dock connected. This is ridiculous.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro