Does the SB2 screen have any type of protective coating?

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered the mid-tier 15" 512gb SB2. I think it will be a nice device and I will be returning my X{S 15 9650 that's plagued with screen bleed all along the bottom.

My XPS 15 does have Gorilla Glass coating on the screen. Does the Surface Book also have any type of protective coating? I don't want to put a protector on it (and it's a PITA to apply one to a screen this big anyway). My worry is the large screen, plus the gap, may allow foreign objects to enter and scratch the screen.

I was unable to find any kind of information about this after searching for a few hours.

Thanks in advance.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is not a coating, it's the chemicals that are used to make the glass.

The Surface Laptop lists Gorilla Glass 3, but I can't find anything for other Surface models on their website. According to some web searches, the original Surface Book, and all the tablets, do have Gorilla Glass. Nothing specific to the SB2, but I'd imagine it'd be the same.

The only coating might be a oil-resistant coating (on top of the glass), this is pretty common to keep fingerprints from staying on the screen. The other Surface models have this too, so I'd imagine the SB2 is the same as well.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is not a coating, it's the chemicals that are used to make the glass.

The Surface Laptop lists Gorilla Glass 3, but I can't find anything for other Surface models on their website. According to some web searches, the original Surface Book, and all the tablets, do have Gorilla Glass. Nothing specific to the SB2, but I'd imagine it'd be the same.

The only coating might be a oil-resistant coating (on top of the glass), this is pretty common to keep fingerprints from staying on the screen. The other Surface models have this too, so I'd imagine the SB2 is the same as well.

Thanks. That’s what I meant. Anti scratch type technology. I would think that with the tablet portion as well as the hinge open type space between the screen and keyboard Microsoft would have a tougher screen than just a regular one.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
A bit off-topic. but just wanted to mention that the Book came in and it's going back. The light bleed at the bottom bleeding into about 1/8th of the screen is completely unacceptable on a $3000 machine. WTF Microsoft? My happy feelings have been completely crushed upon powering this gorgeous piece of hardware on.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Why didn't you just exchange it? Buyer's remorse sunk in, huh? I love mine (15" SB2, 512). If you buy again, 1000% get Microsoft Complete. $49 replacement twice? Yep, that's a deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz