GPU disappearing after sleep

RiftPoint

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've got a 15" SB2 with the NVIDIA 1060 and recently every time it comes back from sleep the 1060 is missing. The only fix I can find at the moment is to detach the tablet, which is somewhat annoying. I've got the most recent drivers installed, and the latest cumulative patch.

Anyone seen this before?

Mad-Maelstrom

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Just hooked my Surface Book 2 with GPU to the Surface Dock and connected to my Omen 35 monitor and noticed the same problem. Only fix is to remove the screen and reattach.
I did notice that the icon for detach did say detach detected even though it was firmly in place

xsherlock

Feb 21, 2018
Visit site
I also have that since yesterday. And I play daily in a witcher3 now, so I know it started exactly yesterday. Task manager stops showing I have a second GPU. Separating a reataching the screen does fix it but what a pain in the a..

tommok

Mar 6, 2018
Visit site
Same thing on my Surface Book 2 13" with DGPU, except it disappears after an idle period, not specially after sleep. If I'm playing a game and actively using the GPU it stays active. After a little idle time, a little hardware change sound plays and it disappears from task manage and device manager.

Event Viewer --> Windows Logs --> System shows the following SurfaceHotPlug events:
  • Surface HotPlug ACPI Notify Error: NotifyCode=82
  • DGPU state change: DGPUPresent=0

This is SUPER annoying. Also when I fully shutdown the machine, there's still a high pitched sound coming from the base near the USB slots. Leaving the machine shut down for a few hours shows battery drain of around 10%, so something is definitely wrong here. powercfg /sleepstudy and powercfg /batteryreport don't show me any extra info.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Happened to me after installing the March cumulative update a few days ago. There's a lengthy thread about it in the MS forums. The "press power and volume up at the same time until it restarts" solution worked including resuming from sleep the first time I checked, but I haven't checked since to verify it's still there.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that this is because of the 16299.334 update. I had to reinstall windows on my Surface and it doesn't update beyond 16299.309, and the issue doesn't happen. Microsoft may have stopped the roll out of 16299.334

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that this is because of the 16299.334 update. I had to reinstall windows on my Surface and it doesn't update beyond 16299.309, and the issue doesn't happen. Microsoft may have stopped the roll out of 16299.334

Interesting that .334 is no longer available but based on the MS forums, the issue was occurring in January so .334 isn't the sole cause. I'm starting to think it's more likely caused by the Nvidia distributed driver through the GeForce Experience app not being fully compatible for whatever reason, i.e., detaching/reattaching the screen and the "hand-off" handling since the Nvidia card is in the base. That would explain why MS opted for a custom driver and didn't pre-load GeForce Experience. Is anyone having the problem without GeForce Experience installed?

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I had a SB2 13 with Nvidia 1050 that started having this same issue AFTER I installed the GeForce experience and updated drivers from it. This was in Feb. I removed GeForce experience, but still had the issue. I even tried a Windows refresh and reinstallation. Neither fixed the problem, so I ended up replacing my SB2 with a new one since I was still eligible to do so. My new one works just fine. I updated the video drivers "manually" through device manager. I have not and will not install GeForce Experience. So, far so good.

To be fair, I cannot say the reason for my issue was GeForce Experience, but I didn't have the problem until I used it. So, I'd rather be safe than sorry and leave it off. It works fine now, and I love my SB2.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my second (some are on their fifth), it seems to be a software issue and so replacing the unit makes no difference, since the same symptoms show up on the new unit after a couple of months.

One workaround (found is this thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...essageId=4c0217ce-08de-40e1-a48a-8b00fb4b2828) is to disconnect the screen and then when you reconnect it, launch an app that uses the dGPU. This way, the dGPU won't disappear. I use Sketchable since is launches quickly before the dGPU has a chance to wonder off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre