i7 Surface Book or i5 Surface Book 2

zachthebomb13

Jan 28, 2018
Visit site
I'm looking for a new laptop, and the Surface Book form factor meets my needs. However, my budget is about $1000.

I found the original Surface Book, i7 on Newegg for $1,000. But I can also get the i5 Surface Book 2 on Microsoft for $1080 with a discount. I'm trying to figure out which would be best. More specs below.

Surface Book
Processor: generation 6 i7
Ram: 8 gb
Hard drive: 256 gb
Graphics: Nvidia with 1gb ram
Cost: $1,000

Surface Book 2
Processor: generation 7 i5
Hard drive: 128 gb
Graphics: integrated Intel graphics
Cost: $1,080

I don't do gaming or anything crazy. Just Microsoft office and browsing. I'll be using this when I go back to get my Master's degree. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I think dGPU always defeats no-GPU. And newer processor beats older processor.

If you just do office and browsing, nonGPU might work.

Another thing is memory. Always buy the most HD and RAM that you can afford.

zachthebomb13

Jan 28, 2018
Visit site
I think dGPU always defeats no-GPU. And newer processor beats older processor.

If you just do office and browsing, nonGPU might work.

Another thing is memory. Always buy the most HD and RAM that you can afford.

Thanks for the reply. What about build quality between the two? I keep hearing about a screen wiggle in the first.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would go for the first-gen because...

- More storage space (can't upgrade that down-the-road in the SB - this is probably the biggest one for you since you don't game)
- Dedicated GPU (more graphics horsepower doesn't hurt)
- Most any Core i CPU from the last few generations is sufficient for most work, I get by just fine on a 3rd-gen, and I don't think you'll see a tangible improvement between that i5 an i7.

However, I don't remember the 2's benefits off the top of my head so see if those differences tip the scale in its favor.

zachthebomb13

Jan 28, 2018
Visit site
I would go for the first-gen because...

- More storage space (can't upgrade that down-the-road in the SB - this is probably the biggest one for you since you don't game)
- Dedicated GPU (more graphics horsepower doesn't hurt)
- Most any Core i CPU from the last few generations is sufficient for most work, I get by just fine on a 3rd-gen, and I don't think you'll see a tangible improvement between that i5 an i7.

However, I don't remember the 2's benefits off the top of my head so see if those differences tip the scale in its favor.

Thanks for the reply. I from like I'm leaning that way after a weekend of research myself.

Jont1967

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm looking for a new laptop, and the Surface Book form factor meets my needs. However, my budget is about $1000.

I found the original Surface Book, i7 on Newegg for $1,000. But I can also get the i5 Surface Book 2 on Microsoft for $1080 with a discount. I'm trying to figure out which would be best. More specs below.

Surface Book
Processor: generation 6 i7
Hard drive: 256 gb
Graphics: Nvidia with 1gb ram
Cost: $1,000

Surface Book 2
Processor: generation 7 i5
Hard drive: 128 gb
Graphics: integrated Intel graphics
Cost: $1,080

I don't do gaming or anything crazy. Just Microsoft office and browsing. I'll be using this when I go back to get my Master's degree. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jont1967

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I would stick away from either of them until Microsoft sorts out its quality control. First I had to change my 13.5 twice due to coil whine (just gave up in the end as they all had the same problem), now I have the mysterious disappearing GTX 1050 issue accompanied by the occasional BSOD. So fed up with it, go with a dell or ASUS would be my recommendation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb