Surface Book 2 15" and 4K Netflix video on external monitor

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a Dell Ultrasharp U2718Q 27" monitor at Costco, great deal at $380. I'm using it connected to my SB2 15" using Microsoft's Surface USB-C to HDMI adapter. It connects at 60Hz, so that's fine. However, I was using it to watch Netflix (using Edge) and noticed that it wasn't using the bandwidth I expected for 4K streams.

So, I discovered a command that can be used to check a Netflix stream's bitrate and resolution. You can hit Ctrl-Shift-Alt-D when the Netflix window is in the forefront to get a bunch of information, including the current bitrate and resolution. Hit Ctrl-Shift-Alt-S and you can see and adjust the CDN used for the stream and override the current bitrate.

Here's the problem: the SB2 15" doesn't play 4K Netflix video in spite of all the necessary pieces being in place. I plugged the same USB-C to HDMI adapter, cable, and monitor into an Acer Switch 7 that I'm currently reviewing and it plays the same videos at 4K. The only difference is that the Acer's USB-C supports Thunderbolt 3.

I'm certain that the SB2 15"'s USB-C port should drive a 4K Netflix stream. Apparently, using the Surface Dock doesn't make a difference and so it's not the adapter. This is very disappointing to me.

If anyone else has an SB2, a 4K display, and the required Netflix plan, could you test yours and see if you're having any better luck?

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I replied to your post in another thread. I have the SB2 15, the Surface USB C to HDMI connector and the LG 27UK600 4K monitor that has 2 HDMI 2.0 ports. I also have a Netflix 4K subscription. The Netflix app offers only HD content. I also have my Xbox One S connected to the other HDMI port on this monitor and that Netflix app offers 4K content. Could this be related to the SB's detachable screen? It isn't a big deal to me because I can watch 4K content from the Xbox, but this is clearly not the connectors or our monitors but the SB2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99