Battery 1 stuck at 75% -- is this real?

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't leave all of my battery devices plugged in, and after I updated with the 7/18/18 cumulative update (KB4345421) to release 1803, I plugged in a Book 2 (15-inch) that was down to about 26% overall. After a couple of hours, Battery 2 was at 100%, but Battery 1 showed 75% (not charging). I restarted the machine, checked the battery again, and Battery 1 was now 75% with no message about charging status. When I checked again later, Battery 1 percentage was still unchanged.

Is this real evidence of a declining battery, or could this be just another manifestation of Microsoft's battery monitoring problems known from other devices?

I also have an older Book 1 with power base that's on the charger now. When I started, Battery 1 was at 19% and Battery 2 at 26%. If it finishes charging with Battery 1 at less than 100, that's going to suggest to me that there's a monitoring problem rather than a battery problem.

Neither device gets hard use, but I am on both of them for at least a few hours a month.

My only other device that got the KB4345421 update has no battery and is thus not a comparable case for diagnosing a monitoring problem.

ZeroGPain

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
re:

The same thing is happening to me, i tried uninstalling i uninstalled the KB4345421 but it did not help. Have you had any luck?

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
re:

Still experimenting. The older Book went all the way to 100% on both batteries, so I'm now trying to find out if there is a power transmission problem between the base and monitor sections on the Book 2. Cleaning the connector slot in the bottom of the clipboard let me see the "charging" icon, and the charge level on the problem battery went up one percent. Then five minutes later it was again not charging. More info later.

ZeroGPain

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
re:

Did you have a update a week or 2 ago that had a lot of system item, like firmware and drivers? I've been wondering if the problem was from then, i haven't really used it without being plugged in until recently. i tried to do system restore to undo those update but it didn't work, the original files arent there anymore

ZeroGPain

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
re:

So I think i got it fixed! I got it to charge to 100%.
I did a couple things but what i think really fixed it was doing a "reset". Detach the power cord, have it in tablet mode, hold down the Power button and volume up button for 30 seconds. During that 30 seconds it will power off then back on and enter some sort of system info screen. I let go of the buttons after i count to 30. I went through the menus but it only seemed to give system info for you surface. I exit and it booted up like normal, I logged in, The battery had went down to 73%, I reattached the power cord to the tablet only. I touched the battery icon on the bottom right next tot he clock and it took a couple seconds but text popped up next to the battery percent saying 30 min until fully charged. I held my breathe the entire time until it got to 76% then 80%, now it's 100%, i connected back to the keyboard dock and may try later disconnecting it and having the tablet portion battery drain down a bit then try to charge it back up to test.

Hopefully this works for you too.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
re:

Followup: I checked the system records of battery performance and found that during the period when I was seeing 75% on the user dashboard, the system was recording charge levels above 90%. There were also some anomalous readings about MWH discharges, so there is still something wrong -- but I don't think the battery is either compromised or on its deathbed. Seems likelier that the battery monitoring and management routines are sick. Is there a coder in the house?

Open a command window and at the system prompt type in

powercfg /batteryreport

and hit return. This creates an HTML file that is stored in C:Windows/System32. When you find that file, click on it and you will get an information-rich and easily readable display in your default browser that covers the last three days. Maybe you will find something like what I saw.

EDITED TO ADD: Didn't see your reply until I posted this one. The total powerdown and restart sequence sounds promising. I'll give it a try.

EDITED AGAIN: Yup, charge percentage is climbing and time to full charge is counting down. Thanks for the solution.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss