Warm Welcome to the Duo

scsnow156

Oct 2, 2019
Visit site
Pretty sure my Lumia 950XL is the last of it's kind to be on the critical endangered list. Every year anticipating hopefully the announcement of a new Windows Mobile device. So it is with a sincere level of excitement the Duo announce has been received. It makes good sense to utilize Android with the robust play store already in place. the device looks amazing and will release in time for xCloud release. MS is calculated and in the hardware game in a big way. Great Show!!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ya, I am a bit excited for this. Even though it is Android...only a matter of time before they drop a version of the SQ1 chip in a device like this I hope.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
So all of those annoying Andromeda articles from Jason Ward finally came thru.
https://www.windowscentral.com/search/andromeda

im so pumped for this phone. even if its not powered by windows 10, this thing is jsut amazing and blows the samsung out of the water. Just need to ensure the battery is 10-12hrs and its not exclusive to at&t. eeek

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The absence of a main camera might be a tough barrier for people to think of Duo as a mobile and consider it as their daily driver. But as Panos said they still haven't finalized the design yet. More specs are still to be learned like battery and supported carriers.

I'm surprised but not disappointed that they decided to run Android on the Surface Phone. I already decided to switch to Android One myself but still waiting for the best Nokia to replace my 6 years old Lumia 1520 which I'm still using.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
They put an awesome front facing snapper in there and it won't matter. Just flip it around and take photos.

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
So all of those annoying Andromeda articles from Jason Ward finally came thru.
https://www.windowscentral.com/search/andromeda

im so pumped for this phone. even if its not powered by windows 10, this thing is jsut amazing and blows the samsung out of the water. Just need to ensure the battery is 10-12hrs and its not exclusive to at&t. eeek
This is not Andromeda in any shape or form. The whole point of Andromeda was a single foldable screen running Windows. Duo is a two screen device, nice but something that has been tried before. Hopefully Android 11 will have better support to make the concept work better. Lots can happen to the final design over the next 13+ months.

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely excited about this. I should start saving my money from now. I think going with Android is a good idea, if successful it could push developers to port their apps onto the Surface Neo.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
They put an awesome front facing snapper in there and it won't matter. Just flip it around and take photos.

They better put an exceptional camera there. If Surface is really about creativity and staying in the flow while capturing the moment, as they say, its not just about painting and music. Photography should be a big part of the plan.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
They better put an exceptional camera there. If Surface is really about creativity and staying in the flow while capturing the moment, as they say, its not just about painting and music. Photography should be a big part of the plan.

I agree. Everyone uses their phone as a camera. And given the price tag that this device is going to have, it better also have cameras - front and rear - to match.

Jamie Brahm

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site
I love the look of this, and looks cheaper and more robust than the fold.

About rear camera - I'm not really sure there's much point. You have to open in anyway to get to the screen. Opening it partway, versus all the way, isn't much of a difference. I guess, yeah a rear camera with the usual features would be nice - but given how thin it is, and how camera's often have protrusions, it could be a design issue.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Sad it's not Windows but the more I think about it I think MS is going the right thing. I currently have a Galaxy 8 and if the Duo will work on Verizon it will be my next phone.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Sad that MS is building on Android platform. I have mixed feelings about this since I generally despise Google and am not a big fan of bloated Android. After just moving from a 950XL to Android out of necessity, I'm hoping MS does a good job of stripping Google from the DUO or at least allow Google apps to be uninstalled completely. A launcher that resembles Win 10 would be nice. I currently use MS Launcher and its OK, but not as good as W10M IMO. The split screen on my V40 works well enough, but I never use it because the two screens aren't big enough and using keyboard in split screen mode just wrecks the split screen functionality. Dual screen should fix this problem. Inking is even better. I'm all in if MS can make this work well with minimal Google bloat and with an exceptional camera.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I wonder about the battery in the Duo. The device is said to *very* thin, so how does one squeeze a decent capacity battery in such a small space. Stay tuned. We gotta a year to wait.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I wonder about the battery in the Duo. The device is said to *very* thin, so how does one squeeze a decent capacity battery in such a small space. Stay tuned. We gotta a year to wait.

The SoC should fit entirely in one side. So that should leave room for a battery in the other.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I love the look of this, and looks cheaper and more robust than the fold.
You notice how they never talked price yet. Yes it is a year out almost but...If this drops some time in 2020, with only minor changes and an older SoC which I actually kinda hope they do (Since Android specs are trivial), they should undercut all other fordable phones on that point.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Batteries can be very thin too, of course they need room to expand and contract, but around 5mm is enough. Most phones are almost 7mm thick nowadays and have room for a longer thicker battery. The Lumia 950xl battery is a medium sized one and is quite thin, maybe 2-3mm. It is very possible for a larger battery in this or a couple of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)