S-DUO might run UWP & Win 32 apps though virtualization & cloud suppport!

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
While it's true that Google will probably not give too much freedom to Microsoft to fork Android, Microsoft may just go around the problem and make UWP or Win 32 apps run on Surface DUO's Android through some sort of virtualization and Azure/cloud support. This will be similar to what HP did with Elite X3 to run legacy apps.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Was this indicated in any way during the presentation? Also Google worked with MS to create the Duo and that version of Android.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
honestly It should. the hardware & hinge is amazing. 4:3 aspect ratio provides ideal screen real estate in laptop mode.

all Microsoft needs to do is provide good virtual keyboard & virtual trackpad that works well in laptop mode.
if possible Microsoft should also utilize space above virtual keyboard as task bar when surface duo is in laptop mode.

design & hardware is truly worthy of pocket pc tag. now it's upto Microsoft to catch up with software. existing times ahead for fans.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Until something comes out indicating this is where they're headed I'm going with the idea that this is all pure speculation and I think you might be a bit disappointed with the end product not meeting your expectations.

If you want a small laptop with Windows get the Neo. I think that was pretty obvious in the presentation.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
I fully understand duo's limitations. But I think the laptop mode ( basically landscape mode ) can be utilized in right way by Microsoft if they provide some clever features inspired from Windows.

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Until something comes out indicating this is where they're headed I'm going with the idea that this is all pure speculation.

In fact, this is more than speculation. One of the tech blogs reported that they found something on github about JavaWinRT used to port UWP runtime to Android.

In addition to this, Panos Panay himself mentioned a couple of times that he is impressed by the cloud initiatives of the launcher team.

This has nothing to do with me or what I want. This is all about logical deduction, especially after what happened in Surface event!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I still don't see the point of a device that small having Windows apps on it. Nor do I see the point of a laptop mode on a device that small.

I don't see what cleaver features from Windows that would make the experience any better. It's a small device even when opened. At best you could add a keyboard and mouse separately but then you're no longer talking laptop.

Currently the Duo is an Android device with a special OS that both Google and MS have worked on for dual screens.

It's not a Windows device. It doesn't have Windows on it. There's no indication that Windows will be on it.

Will it work with Windows? Yes, probably the most integrated Android device around. But it's still Android.

Maybe they'll do something with Office apps that will be Continuum like but I don't see much else happening.

Until something else gets said that's all you can go with. Like I said everything is speculation and will remain so until MS states otherwise. That's why I said what I said. If you put your expectations up too high they may not be met.

MS isn't known for meeting user expectations.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
In fact, this is more than speculation. One of the tech blogs reported that they found something on github about JavaWinRT used to port UWP runtime to Android.

In addition to this, Panos Panay himself mentioned a couple of times that he is impressed by the cloud initiatives of the launcher team.

This has nothing to do with me or what I want. This is all about logical deduction, especially after what happened in Surface event!

Well, I found something that says otherwise.

https://winbuzzer.com/2019/10/07/mi...ers-surface-duo-will-support-uwp-apps-xcxwbn/

Sorry, but until something more concrete than idle speculation and some blurbs picked out in conversation I'll stick to what is known.

There's also a petition going to force MS to make a Windows X version of the Duo...

Sigh.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
I still don't see the point of a device that small having Windows apps on it. Nor do I see the point of a laptop mode on a device that small.

I don't see what cleaver features from Windows that would make the experience any better. It's a small device even when opened. At best you could add a keyboard and mouse separately but then you're no longer talking laptop.
We are talking about running apps through virtualization not natively.

Laptop mode is special because thanks to 2nd screen surface duo doesn't need physical keyboard & mouse.
Touch screen keyboard & virtual trackpad can be perfectly serviceable for most of the task.

By Laptop mode I meant using surface duo in landscape orientation in which 1st display run app or game & 2nd act as input through virtual keyboard/virtual trackpad , virtual gamepad, app specific controls like think about photo editing where 2nd screen provides all the tools and 1st screen only acts as main canvas etc.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Also Google worked with MS to create the Duo and that version of Android.

It was clearly mentioned during the Duo presentation that Microsoft is working with Google on this. However, I wonder to what extent this "partnership" goes. I suppose one could say that all hardware vendors "partner" with Google in order to get Android on their device.

Vendor: "Hey Google, we just designed a new device here on which we would like to install Android and then sell it."
Google: "OK, here is the OS install file, and here is a PDF with the Terms and Conditions."

For the record, I know it is much more complicated than this! But how much different is Android on the Duo going to be than Android on any other phone with Android? Is there really a deep partnership in the design, UI, and integration of Duo's Android? I would imagine that utilizing the dual screen will take some engineering, but is Microsoft going to be modifying the UI for example more than a vendor like Samsung?

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
I suppose one could say that all hardware vendors "partner" with Google in order to get Android on their device.

But how much different is Android on the Duo going to be than Android on any other phone with Android?

This is why I believe that there has to be something more with Duo. Otherwise, the only thing distinguishing Duo with any other Android phones (including dual screen phones) is the hinge design.

Just think about it, why will Microsoft make just another Android phone? Panos Panay is hiding something!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
We are talking about running apps through virtualization not natively.

Laptop mode is special because thanks to 2nd screen surface duo doesn't need physical keyboard & mouse.
Touch screen keyboard & virtual trackpad can be perfectly serviceable for most of the task.

By Laptop mode I meant using surface duo in landscape orientation in which 1st display run app or game & 2nd act as input through virtual keyboard/virtual trackpad , virtual gamepad, app specific controls like think about photo editing where 2nd screen provides all the tools and 1st screen only acts as main canvas etc.

Yes I understood what 'laptop mode' meant. Similar to the Neo in other words.

What I said was that the device is technically too small to use in this way. You're talking about using Windows apps in a desktop and keyboard mouse setup on screen sizes around 6" each (the Duo is about the size of the Samsung Note when closed). That makes no sense whatsoever. What exactly would you achieve on such a small screen size?

As for UWP apps. If they work great. It makes no difference to me personally and there's probably very few Android users who would care.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It was clearly mentioned during the Duo presentation that Microsoft is working with Google on this. However, I wonder to what extent this "partnership" goes. I suppose one could say that all hardware vendors "partner" with Google in order to get Android on their device.

Vendor: "Hey Google, we just designed a new device here on which we would like to install Android and then sell it."
Google: "OK, here is the OS install file, and here is a PDF with the Terms and Conditions."

For the record, I know it is much more complicated than this! But how much different is Android on the Duo going to be than Android on any other phone with Android? Is there really a deep partnership in the design, UI, and integration of Duo's Android? I would imagine that utilizing the dual screen will take some engineering, but is Microsoft going to be modifying the UI for example more than a vendor like Samsung?

There's nothing really written exactly what Google and MS did but it appears that they worked together on making the dual screen OS useful. Googles apps are being designed to work with the dual screen setup as well along with the MS apps.

Also there's talk that the launcher will be more integrated into the OS as well.

My guess is that this phone will integrate seamlessly with Windows through My Phone and possibly some form of Continuum.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Currently the Duo is an Android device with a special OS that both Google and MS have worked on for dual screens.

It's not a Windows device. It doesn't have Windows on it. There's no indication that Windows will be on it.

Will it work with Windows? Yes, probably the most integrated Android device around. But it's still Android.

Maybe they'll do something with Office apps that will be Continuum like but I don't see much else happening.

Until something else gets said that's all you can go with. Like I said everything is speculation and will remain so until MS states otherwise. That's why I said what I said. If you put your expectations up too high they may not be met.

MS isn't known for meeting user expectations.

I'd like to see this evidence. Making it with no easy software bridge between the duo and neo would be a massive, massive market mistake.

There's nothing preventing MS putting the UWP software environment into android either. Emulators are commonplace.

Panoy says something vague about an 'app platform' and 'the cloud'. Sounds possibly like a bridge, but also super vague.

If neo, and duo, the only two dual screen devices of real note, have to be developed for seperately, they are both dead in the water.

Can you imagine if apple, or google made two devices, the only ones with their form factor, and their form factor is shared, in different OSes with no easy software bridge?

No forget whether people like windows, or android, or what native apps are available, simply making it so that if someone wants to write a dual screen app, and either has to do it TWICE, or PICK ONE, is a total, unforgivably bad mistake. It would mean both ecosystems would be starved of the sort of polished dual screen intergration they both need to be a success.

And they need to do better than merely suggesting people use xamarin. A lot better. This is game time, and a split ecosystem is a huge fumble.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
And they need to do better than merely suggesting people use xamarin. A lot better. This is game time, and a split ecosystem is a huge fumble.

All tech companies fumble and sometimes even at the worst times.

MS will be fine if both the Duo and Neo die. That's the simple truth.

Don't put too much emotion into this. It's just a product. There will be other products.

I find this whole thing both amusing and startling how invested people are getting about this.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That is the reason they fail most of the time! In the words of Phil from Avengers, they lack "CONVICTION" because their CMO is a total joke(r).

I think you misunderstand their conviction...

It's not about their OS or their hardware. It's about their services. That is MS in a nutshell.

I don't think most people get that.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
All tech companies fumble and sometimes even at the worst times.

MS will be fine if both the Duo and Neo die. That's the simple truth.

Don't put too much emotion into this. It's just a product. There will be other products.

I find this whole thing both amusing and startling how invested people are getting about this.

Emotion? Huh?

Sure MSFT will be fine if both products fail. But it would interfere with their one OS plan, and it would generally be unintelligent.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I think you misunderstand their conviction...

It's not about their OS or their hardware. It's about their services. That is MS in a nutshell.

I don't think most people get that.

I'd say software. Azure is about 1/3 of business, but so are games. Certainly, hardware doesn't matter jack, except as a means to expand their OS capabilities to new users. But OS kind of does; they have a lot more power to push their profits if they control the environment. Virtually no one uses MS services on android, and the profits from that are piffling. In that, I think actually hardware and OS do both matter - if windows didn't exist, or xbox, microsoft would barely be anything.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it will happen. As MS mentioned they worked with Google on the Duo, chances are they'd never allow anything like that which threatens their ecosystem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss