Should Surface Duo should have housed a slide mechanism rather than flip?

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
It's not very hard to understand that a device with 2 displays should sport a slide mechanism instead of flip open and close, especially on a smaller form factor.

Do you think that Surface Duo could have gone for slide mechanism were one display sliding under the other? There are obvious design challenges one being how to level the two screen but that can be overcome through some magnetic movement or something.

mdxzfr

Oct 2, 2019
Visit site
Slide mechanism is a wrong choice. For dual screen, fold/flip is always better for any kind of usage. Or else, single screen/normal phone is right.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
It's not very hard to understand that a device with 2 displays should sport a slide mechanism instead of flip open and close, especially on a smaller form factor.

Do you think that Surface Duo could have gone for slide mechanism were one display sliding under the other? There are obvious design challenges one being how to level the two screen but that can be overcome through some magnetic movement or something.

No folding mechanism is better. I don't think laptop mode would be possible with slider mechanism.

Razius

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Definitely stick with folding. Keeps the device thin. Also is anyone else pumped to play battleship on the Duo?!? I am.

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Definitely stick with folding. Keeps the device thin. Also is anyone else pumped to play battleship on the Duo?!? I am.

I don't think a slider will add to thickness. In fact, it will be a more elegant way of doing this (operating a 2 screen device). You just move it out of the pocket and see who has called rather than waiting for aa couple of seconds till you open the lid only to realise that it was a SPAM call :p

If Steve Jobs would look at Surface Neo, the first thing he would have said to the designers would have been "CAN YOU PLS REMOVE THE FOLD!"

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
I think sliding will make device thicker & less elegant.
also this same folding mechanism will also work same way when dual screen's will be replaced by single flexible display like galaxy fold when foldable gorilla glass is ready to use.

just like laptop form factor where sliding mechanism hardly got any success among laptop users compared to folding hinge.

win95wasgood

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
I prefer flip over slide. The flip can stand up on its own on the table as I work. The flip can be open 180 degrees flat on the table as I read. It has far more use cases.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site

, yeah but only the futuristic ideas from movies etc, not the old slider phone like slider mechanisms. Probably quite complex though but I guess it will be (one of) the next steps/future (not anytime soon). That being said, I did like the idea of the Black Berry Priv.

Just got an idea though, what if they can combine both in 1 device? Neo like fold hinge but with a slider-like keyboard that can also fold (just so it can fold when slided in and the user closes/folds the Neo).

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I don't think a slider will add to thickness. In fact, it will be a more elegant way of doing this (operating a 2 screen device). You just move it out of the pocket and see who has called rather than waiting for aa couple of seconds till you open the lid only to realise that it was a SPAM call :p

If Steve Jobs would look at Surface Neo, the first thing he would have said to the designers would have been "CAN YOU PLS REMOVE THE FOLD!"

Steve jobs pretty much had a failing company for many years, and partly because he had no grasp of practicality.

Slider will probably happen, likely someone else will make it. So long as the software for dual screens has some pull for MSFTs development platforms, they'll benefit either way.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
But you will not know whether it's a spam call or not until you open the flip!

True...but, I will have gone through the motion of pulling out of my pocket my that time anyway, so one more step won't kill me:) - of course I base this lack of mortality on the assumption that the hinge mechanism executes smooth and nimbly :wink:.

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
True...but, I will have gone through the motion of pulling out of my pocket my that time anyway, so one more step won't kill me:)

You may be correct but my experience with new design paints a completely different picture. Take the case of retinal scan or face detection on smartphones. It is very awkward to use this and fingerprint scan offers a much convenient way to unlock your phone or accounts.

Face detection is suited to laptops and fingerprint for smartphones. Same way, flip design is suitable for laptops and slide for smartphones.

In addition to this, housing a slide mechanism doesn't mean that it cannot fold!

Razius

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
You may be correct but my experience with new design paints a completely different picture. Take the case of retinal scan or face detection on smartphones. It is very awkward to use this and fingerprint scan offers a much convenient way to unlock your phone or accounts.

Face detection is suited to laptops and fingerprint for smartphones. Same way, flip design is suitable for laptops and slide for smartphones.

In addition to this, housing a slide mechanism doesn't mean that it cannot fold!

My question with a slide mechanism is can the device lay completely flat when both screen are out? Additionally, would you get the dreaded wobble that a lot of phones with camera bumps get? For that I would prefer they design they have now.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
But you will not know whether it's a spam call or not until you open the flip!

It'd be great if the hinge had a 2 line notification screen that could be for showing incoming caller ID, email notification, calendar appointments, reminders, volume adjustment when the Duo was in the folded position...shouldn't be that hard to do, I would think. That would eliminate the need to open the Duo for every mundane event.

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
It'd be great if the hinge had a 2 line notification screen that could be for showing incoming caller ID, email notification, calendar appointments, reminders, volume adjustment when the Duo was in the folded position...shouldn't be that hard to do, I would think. That would eliminate the need to open the Duo for every mundane event.

But that will require providing a 3rd display. Instead, just give a damn slider...

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
My question with a slide mechanism is can the device lay completely flat when both screen are out? Additionally, would you get the dreaded wobble that a lot of phones with camera bumps get? For that I would prefer they design they have now.

I think a slider design can be folded once the 2 displays are fully out. It can easily be achieved through some clever design.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720