Windows 10x on ARM and possibly Android Dual Boot

l33tl33

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
A lot of the critics state there is no 'need' for a device this small to run applications designed for a 'full size' experience and generally speaking they are correct.

What I think those people don't know is what they don't know. If someone viewed a particular device through the lens of a single use-case then it is very easy to think of a more optimal way to use a device with a small form factor.

The problem I'm trying to solve has nothing to do with using a small device in the most efficient manner. Instead, I'm trying to solve the ultimate break in flow which is the transition of my activities from one location to another without switching operating systems, depending on the cloud or transferring data between storage devices. All three of these are interruptions to the experience and are riddled with issues:

1) Internet connections are unreliable or expensive
2) Moving your work from Windows to Android will never be seamless
3) Accessing storage for data location, transfer and restoration is time consuming

I do believe in a mostly cloud future but as long as the web browser's shape must contort to the device we are holding, so must the work or activity we are trying to interact with.

For Windows users (by the way there are quite a lot of us) to go from your full sized screen at home to the the subway or bus and then arrive at the office or friend's house (without stopping to spend a few minutes saving our work and uploading it to the cloud or converting the format or emailing ourselves links or files and so on) the shape of Windows must be responsive and as a result we have been given Windows 10x.

Being able to finally harness the benefits of Continuum would allow me to watch a youtube podcast from home, hop on a bike or get in a car and go to work without stopping the video while audio transfers to my bluetooth earbuds or car radio, then wirelessly dock to my workstation at the office. All without touching anything.

You can't do this without a responsive Windows that runs on a mobile device in some capacity and has the power to operate traditional windows applications.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It isn't going to be dual booting anything. As I already stated in another thread, MS explicitly said they worked with Google, and we know what they are like. This'll be Android only, just like MS said.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It isn't going to be dual booting anything. As I already stated in another thread, MS explicitly said they worked with Google, and we know what they are like. This'll be Android only, just like MS said.

I don't think this will be dual boot at all, but it's actually not impossible.

Google wanted the ability to run windows on their chromebooks, and likely the ability to have chrome run on windows on arm devices. A deal could be brokered. It's probably not being though.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't think this will be dual boot at all, but it's actually not impossible.

Google wanted the ability to run windows on their chromebooks, and likely the ability to have chrome run on windows on arm devices. A deal could be brokered. It's probably not being though.

If it did dual boot then surely there would be some performance issues? With MS having a lot riding on the Duo I doubt they would want that.

Jamie Brahm

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site
If it did dual boot then surely there would be some performance issues? With MS having a lot riding on the Duo I doubt they would want that.

I don't think they will. If they did it would be windows on arm. But I just brought this up because technically there is a way both MSFT and google could benefit from it.

I think a software bridge, of some form, that allows apps to be coded for both duo and neo would be smarter. It doesn't need to run windows. It just needs to share apps with the neo, somehow.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
both Microsoft and google are against dual boot. in the past they have not let release devices like " asus transformer book duet" & one Samsung laptop.
not only that since than they have taken some considerable measures to prevent dual boot (windows & android) devices to be made. from what I have read Google doesn't allow play store on such devices.

only way windows & android dual os device is possible if both os provided separate hardware in single device like "asus transformer book trio & transformer book" v concept. but those asus devices were laptop formfactor & were dependant on external hardware such as keyboard dock or dockable phone etc.
on small device like surface duo may not be possible.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
both Microsoft and google are against dual boot. in the past they have not let release devices like " asus transformer book duet" & one Samsung laptop.
not only that since than they have taken some considerable measures to prevent dual boot (windows & android) devices to be made. from what I have read Google doesn't allow play store on such devices.

only way windows & android dual os device is possible if both os provided separate hardware in single device like "asus transformer book trio & transformer book" v concept. but those asus devices were laptop formfactor & were dependant on external hardware such as keyboard dock or dockable phone etc.
on small device like surface duo may not be possible.

I agree, it won't happen.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
It would be great… I don't know why they don't want to do it. Microsoft Apps would run better throught the Windows versión than the Android one. Think in Office, One Drive, etc. What will be the problem? They just need to put more storage memory, which is not a current problem.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I doubt MS will implement something like this. They seem all in with Android on the Surface Duo. With it also being developed in conjunction with Google I am pretty sure Google wouldn't want any competition on the device either.

Phonebar

Mar 7, 2021
Visit site
I would purchase the microsoft duo if it had dual booting. I do not as long as it is android only. As simple as that. File management under android is not as good as under windows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion