Foldable convenience

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
The folding screen seems really cool.
however in thinking how i use my current phone, i'm wondering if practically speaking it wouldn't be a very convenient device.

slipping the phone out of pocket and glancing at time or notifications.
- there is no external screen to enable this
being able to double tap with one hand and unlock.
- you need to use two hands to open the phone

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
that's the worst thing about surface duo. i hope Microsoft do something about it. at least provide small horizontal display which can show notifications and time & also show caller id and ability to pick up or reject calls without opening whole device.

as far as two hand opening is concern it will always be there . you have to make that trade off to achieve extra screen real estate.

Lobo Technician

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
I completely agree, they have to add an outside screen for quick notifications and calls, or it will be dead in the water. The two handed complaint, I would have to agree with Juatjun, its a trade off, but I'm sure that some third party accessories will be developed to make the phone easier to open one handed.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
That would be interesting if somehow a case was developed that you give it a slight squeeze with one hand and it opens it up somehow

But yeah an external screen to check time, notification, etc.
Although they may be counting on that surface ear pods to do that and not need to even take the duo out of your pocket

Mar 26, 2019
Visit site
This would be a good reason to publish a Surface Watch. They could make Core OS Watch, use Android Wear or Tizen OS if Samsung goes forward with the current direction. I personally would like to see a Surface Watch running Tizen OS, because my current smartwatch runs Tizen OS and feels great and because it's the only real 3. third party platform which could become start for smartwatches.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The folding screen seems really cool.
however in thinking how i use my current phone, i'm wondering if practically speaking it wouldn't be a very convenient device.

slipping the phone out of pocket and glancing at time or notifications.
- there is no external screen to enable this
being able to double tap with one hand and unlock.
- you need to use two hands to open the phone

Maybe MS sees how much people are addicted to phones now so having dual-screens at least has a barrier so people will not focus on it all the time? In all seriousness though, the design is just like a Nintendo 3DS. If you can just quickly open it up and you get a clock/notifications on one-screen, and touching the screen wakes up the second screen then that's alright for me. But I guess it's up to how people use their phones. Hopefully MS will sort stuff like this out when it launches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss