I'm trying to understand the use cases and the target audience for the Duo. I was very keen on it when it first was presented as I like to use pen devices. That something I have from the old Palm times. The enthusiasm died a bit when I understood that it will not come with an on board pen, it will be a companion item that needs to be kept on its own.

It got me thinking, what is the device for, who is the target, what is the real use cases beyond the term for power-users doing professionals tasks. There have been a lot written an said here about lack of NFC, wireless, qi and the mediocre camera but I do not think any of those is part of this device user case. It is all about the interface in the form of a notebook (the old paper one, not a laptop), to be able to take notes, to have different apps on the two screens and in case of some apps placing different functions on each screen.

So how will it be used and by who?
    Anyone who can come up with some practical use cases?

I guess if you are into the stock marked it would probably be very good to have some kind of information screen and an action screen where you can take action on the information. But most of the professional traders a come in contact with (banks and finance) are not allowed to do business outside there office on there dedicated consoles so this would probably be for semiprofessionals or small firms.

So what is your ideas?
    07-08-2020 03:20 AM
    The primary audience for the DUO is mobile professionals (consultants, sales, executives, and Firstline Workers) who primarily use Microsoft Solutions for productivity, M365 (Office, Teams).

It uses the same pen as the other Surface Devices, so it becomes an extension of those.

The other is the Surface Enthusiasts that wants a Surface Mobile solution that matches the aesthetic of the rest of the Surface Devices.

I plan to get one to replace my Note 10+, but I want to see how it functions as a phone, otherwise I'll use it like an Android Tablet.
    07-08-2020 09:58 AM
    The primary audience for the DUO is mobile professionals (consultants, sales, executives, and Firstline Workers) who primarily use Microsoft Solutions for productivity, M365 (Office, Teams).

It uses the same pen as the other Surface Devices, so it becomes an extension of those.

The other is the Surface Enthusiasts that wants a Surface Mobile solution that matches the aesthetic of the rest of the Surface Devices.

I plan to get one to replace my Note 10+, but I want to see how it functions as a phone, otherwise I'll use it like an Android Tablet.
    Exactly. Unless you functionally use a "pen" daily on an Android I feel there is no real reason to get this device. I've never owned and used a Samsung note ever except once a note 5 but I only bought it to resell it. And I never used the pen... I just don't use phones in that way. To me They're are a "fun" thing for personal use and phone calls. I don't need it to do my career. However on a side note, personally I'm still waiting for a flagship anything to come around with no notch or any other missing pixels out of the screen. I finally broke down and spent more than 200 on a op7 pro because my LG v30 phones are approaching their sw cycle end. It is kinda sad the way the consumers have steered the mobile industry in some ways. At least it is just a mobile phone that's at the face. We are all a part of it either way I guess. Personally I'd rather make a house payment or by something that would last more than a year than invest in new tech like this at saturated prices...
    07-08-2020 10:16 AM
    It's definitely a device that I would advise people to think about their use case before buying. One can probably get something that's fully functional for them for a lower price.

That said, there are definitely use cases. A couple days after the product announcement, I was in a taxi where the driver was juggling a navigation app, his billing app, and what I think was an app that connected him with dispatch. It was incredibly inefficient. I thought about how he would benefit from multiple displays and not have to switch as much.

That experience got me thinking. When I'm on a road trip, I could have a navigation app (I use Here) and my music app. That would allow the person riding shotgun to play DJ without interrupting the navigation experience.

Beyond that, I tend to multi-task quite a bit. I bounce from app to app at a rate where one app on the screen slows me down. Being able to maintain two apps will improve my productivity.
    07-08-2020 02:35 PM
    So how will the Duo help these people? I do not see consultants, sales and executives go all in on a mobile phone, even if it has two screens. The first line worker case looks a bit more solid, I'm thinking on those using special hand computers for signing, as payment terminals or interacting with equipment. They need something small and light, and if that small and light can perform form as both phone, tool and smart device I can see the use case. But not for consultants, not for sales (if you are not referring to mobile sales people knocking on your door or delivering products directly then I agree) and not for executives.
    I would like to hear more of how you are reasoning around there usage of the Duo.

An other plausible use case is the one Dan12R pointed out with the Taxi driver and using it for both navigation and billing or DJ:ing.
    07-09-2020 02:53 AM
    I think one of the best uses will include access to immediate technical/learning information. MS has recently improved its Lookup Feature in Edge, Office, and hopefully everywhere else; Highlight a word/name/phrase > Right-Click > Select: Search in sidebar for " " - gain in-depth information on the highlighted subject matter. I use this feature a lot, and on a small device, to have this information on a separate screen where it can be easily read will only add to its usefulness.
    07-09-2020 07:15 AM
    I think one of the best uses will include access to immediate technical/learning information. MS has recently improved its Lookup Feature in Edge, Office, and hopefully everywhere else; Highlight a word/name/phrase > Right-Click > Select: Search in sidebar for " " - gain in-depth information on the highlighted subject matter. I use this feature a lot, and on a small device, to have this information on a separate screen where it can be easily read will only add to its usefulness.
    I think that is one of the best use cases I have seen so far. The Duo would make sense for field technicians doing work where a laptop would be to cumbersome.
    mtf1380 likes this.
    07-09-2020 09:18 AM
    Also see the first commenter view on this mater here: https://www.androidcentral.com/micro...o-will-be-good
    I think the view from a actual roadwarrior makes a lot of sence.
    07-09-2020 09:20 AM
    So how will the Duo help these people? I do not see consultants, sales and executives go all in on a mobile phone, even if it has two screens. The first line worker case looks a bit more solid, I'm thinking on those using special hand computers for signing, as payment terminals or interacting with equipment. They need something small and light, and if that small and light can perform form as both phone, tool and smart device I can see the use case. But not for consultants, not for sales (if you are not referring to mobile sales people knocking on your door or delivering products directly then I agree) and not for executives.
    I would like to hear more of how you are reasoning around there usage of the Duo.

An other plausible use case is the one Dan12R pointed out with the Taxi driver and using it for both navigation and billing or DJ:ing.
    I will take the view from my life experience, I'm a VP that runs a Technology Strategy Consulting Team for a Global Consulting Company, as part of my job, I do sales and scoping calls that pre-pandemic were face 2 face at the customer's location, having a small but capable device that gives me access to M365 tools and inking tools would allow for a lighter load than taking my 12-13" device.

My company also has all of our internal tools as mobile first apps, all are native to Android or iOS, so I can accomplish 90% of my job on this device.

Last November, I spent 2.5 weeks in India visiting customers and partners, my Samsung Tab S6 using M365 was my primary device, but having a smaller form factor would have made my time much easier, as would the LTE connection that supports eSIM.

B2B sales employ mobile sales forces, and typically those in leadership positions are also mobile.
    mtf1380 likes this.
    07-09-2020 09:28 AM
    I can see a great many advantages with a good dual-screen mobile device, I'm just disappointed with the camera specs:(
    nate0 and me just saying like this.
    07-09-2020 11:08 AM
    Education profession and industry.
    07-09-2020 06:05 PM
    I can see a great many advantages with a good dual-screen mobile device, I'm just disappointed with the camera specs:(
    You mean that "world class camera" they mentioned?
    mtf1380 likes this.
    07-09-2020 06:07 PM
    I'm a cyber security professional, and I love using my Surface Book for notetaking, but it can be a bit cumbersome in some situations (especially since my desk space is at a premium now due to COVID (personal and work screens). I'm looking forward to using this as my main note-taking device, then using my Surface Book to refine in OneNote.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-10-2020 09:36 AM
    So what is your ideas?
    What about gaming? I'm trying to figure out when they might release the Duo, and with the Xbox event happening in a couple weeks I started thinking it could line up nicely with that. I recently signed up for Project xCloud, and I think there's some potential there. That device might offer the best mobile gaming experience either in tent orientation or folded out and attached to one of those controller-phone holder things.

Thoughts?
    07-10-2020 10:12 AM
    What about gaming? I'm trying to figure out when they might release the Duo, and with the Xbox event happening in a couple weeks I started thinking it could line up nicely with that. I recently signed up for Project xCloud, and I think there's some potential there. That device might offer the best mobile gaming experience either in tent orientation or folded out and attached to one of those controller-phone holder things.

Thoughts?
    There's no horsepower in the Duo imo. But we know little up to this point. It's not an android gaming phone for sure so honesty I doubt it will live up to even a oneplus phone in performance/gaming. I bet will be more expensive than one too.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-10-2020 10:42 AM
    I am disappointed with its specs in general and what they are leaving off.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-10-2020 10:58 AM

Thoughts?
    heard it was for the 2020 holiday season. I would expect to see it around black friday.
    07-10-2020 10:59 AM

Thoughts?
    I do not believe that the Duo will be any good for heavy gaming, while it has the format for it and probably the a cpu good enough for some heavy gaming. The biggest reason is that the two halves are very thin, that makes both for bad thermals and small battery, two essentials for mobile gaming. I is hard to predict but I believe the slim format of each half will have a big impact on a lot of things, like gaming, video and anything that makes the processor go warm. Maybe I'm wrong and Microsoft managed to do something techy with heatpipes but still the slimness is worrying for heat reasons.
    07-10-2020 04:46 PM