What does "success" look like for the Duo?

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
So what do you guys think "success" looks like for this device. It's hardly a mass seller. It's Gen1, expensive, a mediocre camera and no 5G, and yet it offers a different approach to the rest of the phone market.

From a marketing point of view it's instantly identifiable, and is likely to have some cachet as a "productivity powertool" that will make it popular with corporate early adopters.

Studio wasn't a big seller but instantly gained a following in the design world

What do you think will happen here?

Philip Tsang

Apr 8, 2019
Visit site
It would be too stupid for Microsoft to abandon it.

They mainly need to focus on improving the hardware - better camera, 5G, NFC, wireless charging, thinner bezels, etc. Hopefully they can release the 2nd gen Duo in 2021.

It's totally different story than Windows Mobile, where they spent tremendous resources in building the OS (but still failed).

It's no a niche product. It's offers something extra - a phone that can be turned to a tablet. It's just that it's so expensive that not all people can afford it.

I'm seriously considering getting one. So tempted by its super thin and sexy body and the conveniences that the dual screen will bring to me.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
People buy it and MS don't cancel it a week later. Seriously. After the disaster of Windows Phone (sadly), that should be enough for MS to start with.

Of course MS also has to launch it in more than their usual 5 countries too...

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I don't have high hopes for the Surface Duo or Microsoft's abilities to make it a success. If the past is any indicator they'll do their darndest to find a way to screw it up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234