For Verizon users... Don't forget to get CDMAless added to the line

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget to get CDMAless added to the line. (You might have trouble logging in to My Verizon yourself as the SMS will not work until this is done.)

Anthony 3

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Re: For Verizon users...

Don't forget to get CDMAless added to the line. (You might have trouble logging in to My Verizon yourself as the SMS will not work until this is done.)

any chance you can explain into how i go about this? got a duo today and everything is great! but like you said i am unable to receive texts even though i am receiving everything else (calls, LTE is working fine etc). (on verizon no idea what to do) thanks!!!!!

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site

When you call in, ask for tech. Network tech to be exact. (Depending on your insurance plan or lack thereof, you may run into some guys called "tech coach". They may need to transfer you to the "direct" tech if they are unfamiliar with the feature.) When you get to the right department, ask for them to put the "CDMAless feature" on the phone number. Make sure your sim is already in there and the device is up and running.

Most reps who are familiar with our billing system will know what you are looking for, including the customer care and store reps so usually it isn't too hard to get it done. It's the same song and dance we do when somebody calls in about the Oneplus, the lightphone, or the Razrphone.

SnakePlisskin

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site

Made an account just to reply to this thread. Well, I had an old account and used to post here all the time back in the Lumia days. I am back though! Because Windows phone is back!!!!

Loving my Duo thanks to this thread Poly. I was about to throw my Duo out the window because I could send texts but not receive. I was chatting with microsoft reps and they couldnt figure it out. I found this thread, called Verizon and the first person I talked to knew exactly what I was asking and fixed me right up. It was great!

Also while talking with the MS rep he said that the Duo does not see hidden networks right now. I tried connecting to mine and it wont connect. But then I broadcast it and boom it connects instantly. So that should be coming in an update.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I had to do this when I got the OnePlus 6T in November 2018. You can take care of this via chat with a Verizon rep. Just say you need your account to be CDMA-less. They should be aware of this procedure by now, since they've been doing it for almost 2 years now. If the rep doesn't know, HUCA or ask for another rep. In my case, it was done instantly.

SnakePlisskin

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site

I had to do this when I got the OnePlus 6T in November 2018. You can take care of this via chat with a Verizon rep. Just say you need your account to be CDMA-less. They should be aware of this procedure by now, since they've been doing it for almost 2 years now. If the rep doesn't know, HUCA or ask for another rep. In my case, it was done instantly.

Funny you say that because I was chatting with a verizon rep and he said I had to go into the store and get a new SIM card. Thats when I tried to call and the person on the phone knew exactly what to do. I told them this is something I should not have to go in for and he said I needed a new SIM.

Just depends on who ya get.

jbullock126

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site

Verizon users should avoid this phone like the plague. First there's the CDMA-less issue of getting text messages to work, then there's the issue of Wifi calling not working on this device for Verizon users. This is a must for me because we use a network extender at home due to poor coverage in our area (even poorer for ATT and Tmobile in our area). So I told Microsoft I want to return the phone as it is a non-starter for me. Very disappointed in both Microsoft and Verizon with these issues. SMH.

SnakePlisskin

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site

Made an account just to reply to this thread. Well, I had an old account and used to post here all the time back in the Lumia days. I am back though! Because Windows phone is back!!!!

Loving my Duo thanks to this thread Poly. I was about to throw my Duo out the window because I could send texts but not receive. I was chatting with microsoft reps and they couldnt figure it out. I found this thread, called Verizon and the first person I talked to knew exactly what I was asking and fixed me right up. It was great!

Also while talking with the MS rep he said that the Duo does not see hidden networks right now. I tried connecting to mine and it wont connect. But then I broadcast it and boom it connects instantly. So that should be coming in an update.
Side note,

Figured out the hidden network issue. When adding a network you just have to go to advance settings and select "Hidden Network". Kind of silly that you have to manually set that IMO but hey, it works!

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Verizon users should avoid this phone like the plague. First there's the CDMA-less issue of getting text messages to work, then there's the issue of Wifi calling not working on this device for Verizon users. This is a must for me because we use a network extender at home due to poor coverage in our area (even poorer for ATT and Tmobile in our area). So I told Microsoft I want to return the phone as it is a non-starter for me. Very disappointed in both Microsoft and Verizon with these issues. SMH.

Okay, speaking as a VZW employee here, let's get this out of the way to avoid confusion for everybody else: No Femtocell requires wifi calling. If it does, it means you're using a 3G one (which means you're not really using the network extender at all anymore because 3g is being retired) or you're using a wifi extender, which is a completely different gadget.

CDMAless is *not* an issue. It's very easy to provision and takes like, 10 seconds. Your texts start coming in immediately. We do it for oneplusses all the time as they are very popular but we only sell one model. 1x/3G are in process of being retired, so everybody is going to be CDMAless soon.

Honestly if you haven't mailed the thing back yet, put the sim in, call in, get CDMAless, and make sure your VoLTE is on. That is *all* you need to use that network extender.

fonzman78

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Had a strange issue this morning. I went to text and my text app, Verizon Message+, was reset for lack of a better word. All my texts were gone and I couldn't send or receive texts. The same issue I had when I first turned on the Duo. I went through the process and called Verizon and they enabled CDMA-less so I was able to send/receive texts. So I was concerned this morning when it appeared that my Duo defaulted back to not having CDMA-less enabled. Very frustrating. I restarted the phone several times to make sure and the problem persisted. I was about to call Verizon to see if CMDA-less had somehow been disabled but decided to take the SIM card out first. Once I took out the card and restarted, my texts were back. So shut down again, reinserted the SIM card, restarted, and now my text are back and I can receive/send texts. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site

The CDMAless can sometimes be auto removed if the sim is used in a device that can do CDMA. It can also happen if your sim misreads your IMEI somehow.

This has not happened to me personally. But if it borks again get a fresh sim. (You may need to bring your old phone to the store with you for the provisioning. Make sure to check for CDMAless *after* putting the sim into the Duo if you have to do that.)

slbailey1

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site

Okay, speaking as a VZW employee here, let's get this out of the way to avoid confusion for everybody else: No Femtocell requires wifi calling. If it does, it means you're using a 3G one (which means you're not really using the network extender at all anymore because 3g is being retired) or you're using a wifi extender, which is a completely different gadget.

CDMAless is *not* an issue. It's very easy to provision and takes like, 10 seconds. Your texts start coming in immediately. We do it for oneplusses all the time as they are very popular but we only sell one model. 1x/3G are in process of being retired, so everybody is going to be CDMAless soon.

Honestly if you haven't mailed the thing back yet, put the sim in, call in, get CDMAless, and make sure your VoLTE is on. That is *all* you need to use that network extender.

I have never swap Sims. What r the steps I need to do, along with any calls to Verizon? Do I need to get a y information from my Duo before I swap the Sim?

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site

The SIM slot on the surface duo is on the bottom right of the fully opened device. (It's easier if you do this before putting on the bumper if you plan to.) The phone comes with a sim tool so you don't have to hunt for a paperclip. Stick it in, it'll pop out a tray. The sim from your old phone goes in there.

Various phones have different means of removing the sim, but on most models, there's a tray hidden somewhere on the device. On any device with a removable battery, you can usually just yank the back off to reveal the sim.

Once that's in and you're set up and signed in, call/message/chat Verizon and ask for the CDMAless feature.

Also, in case there was any doubt, the devices *are* showing up in our device database.

slbailey1

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site

I went to the Verizon store to have them to switch my SIM card. The technician switched my SIM cards but when I asked them to implement cdma-less, said that he did not know anything about that. He said that I have to call Microsoft for that. I then told him that CDMA-less is a Verizon parameter. Then he said I have to call Verizon Support.

When I called support and after the technician looked at my account, he said that the Duo was set up correctly and cdma-less is already set.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site

jbullock, note that Network Extender does NOT require Wi-Fi calling. If you have a Verizon Network Extender, your phone thinks it's a cell tower, just one that's local to your house. Wi-Fi calling is only needed if you're in an area without cell service, without a Network Extender, and with Wi-Fi. (I may be in that boat myself right now at my office, but I have a Network Extender at home, so not an issue there.)

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure if this is because I had CDMA-less turned on, but I have no reception (zero) on my new Duo in areas with low but entirely usable reception on my older Samsung Galaxy S10. Could there be parts of the Verizon network (or maybe even via roaming, I don't think I'd notice these days if I'm roaming off network or on Verizon's network) that require CDMA access to get a signal? I do have Wi-Fi access in some of these locations, but with no Wi-Fi calling, that doesn't help except for data-driven services (email, Teams, Skype, etc.).

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site

When I called support and after the technician looked at my account, he said that the Duo was set up correctly and cdma-less is already set.

Usually if you make a change with a recognized device (in his case, activating a fresh sim) it'll auto-slap on any missing features.

SnakePlisskin

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Any Verizon user here having issues receiving gif images? As in they come across as jpg's and not gif's and dont animate? Im trying to fix an issue it seems Verizon and Microsoft cannot fix. I am 99% sure it's the verizon network.

Send yourself a gif and let me know?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes