Wifi Calling for Surface Duo

jbullock126

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and so far unable to enable it. Can make calls in a good signal area but rely on wifi calling at home due to a signal booster I have. Any suggestions?

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Network extenders and boosters do not use wifi calling at all. Us tech reps use it as a troubleshooting step, a way of removing another point of failure, or as a way of smoothing things over if you aren't eligible for any network extender offers. If you've got the network extender on and the duo isn't seeing it, something is up.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
This is concerning: at my office, where I normally had a weak, but usable signal, on my Galaxy S10, Surface Duo tells me I need to turn on WiFi calling to make a call. Of course, there is no apparent option for WiFi calling, so I'm actually unable to make or receive calls with the Duo in places I could with the Samsung. That's a serious problem, if I don't find a work-around. Adding a Verizon Network extender here is not an option, because it's not my location.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It's more that wifi calling is often handled by software provided by the carrier.

Some android phones will change software carriers automatically, but if the carrier didn't make specific software for that device in the first place, then there usually wouldn't be anything available.

My suspicion is that Colin was previously hitting a 1xRTT signal, which is in the process of being retired. (Hence the CDMAless feature needed by the Duo.) Now the thing is this signal was eventually going to go away anyway. The intent is to eventually replace it with more LTE signals, so in theory he should eventually have a working phone, but we don't have any real ETA on that. (I suspect early next year. Sorry, I'm just a minion.)

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
My suspicion is that Colin was previously hitting a 1xRTT signal, which is in the process of being retired. (Hence the CDMAless feature needed by the Duo.) Now the thing is this signal was eventually going to go away anyway. The intent is to eventually replace it with more LTE signals, so in theory he should eventually have a working phone, but we don't have any real ETA on that. (I suspect early next year. Sorry, I'm just a minion.)

I think you're right, and maybe that client will upgrade their Network Extenders from 1xRTT to the newer VoLTE Extenders (this problem will affect more and more phones as Verizon phases out CDMA), but that's outside my control, meaning my new Duo is unusable in their buildings now. Support for WiFi calling would be a simple solution that is within Microsoft's and Verizon's control. I know it's ultimately up to Verizon, but I hope MS is helping and pushing for this.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
By the way, when I called Verizon about this, the tech who tried to help told me that Microsoft needed to provide a WiFi calling option. I'm pretty sure she's wrong and it's entirely on Verizon at this point, but goes to show Verizon is not particularly aware of the issue and still pointing fingers at others. At the very least, it's not big enough on their radar to educate their techs.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I remember Daniel mentioned to get Wifi Calling from ATT you had to get the carrier variant. I'm wondering if the same issue exist for Verizon customers as well.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have an unlocked variant on AT&T and I was notified to enable to WiFi Calling the other day, had to verify my AT&T account and it now works

UFGatorFan

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
Right, but some carriers will actively block unlocked devices / devices not purchased from them from using what they consider premium features.

the problem is you bought an unlocked phone. I had the same problem with my previous phone. I bought an LG ThinQ that was unlocked. Using the same exact service and SIM card in my previous ATT Galaxy 4 I was unable to use Wi-Fi calling. No matter what I did I was not able to get Wi-Fi calling. I called AT&T many times I spoke to LG, etc. Bottom line is if you buy an unlocked phone the carrier's punish you by taking away some of the advanc I made sure to buy the ATT version of The Duo so I wouldn't have this problem using the exact same SIM card and service from my LG, I am able to get Wi-Fi calling.

Trade your phone in for the Verizon version and you will get Wi-Fi calling.

Harveysjag

Oct 7, 2020
Visit site
I have the unlocked Duo on Verizon. When I get a dead spot at my house, I get a message on the screen that says, enable wifi calling. When I click on it. I just get a blank black screen.

saloei

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I have the unlocked Duo on Verizon. When I get a dead spot at my house, I get a message on the screen that says, enable wifi calling. When I click on it. I just get a blank black screen.

I'm on T-Mobile. WiFi calling works with my Duo when enabling Airplane Mode, disabling VoLTE, and connecting to my router via WiFi. The WiFi call setting is also enabled. When I disable WiFi calling, I can't make calls with mentioned settings.

settelma

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile. WiFi calling works with my Duo when enabling Airplane Mode, disabling VoLTE, and connecting to my router via WiFi. The WiFi call setting is also enabled. When I disable WiFi calling, I can't make calls with mentioned settings.

On the Duo it is under networks, along with tethering. For AT&T it worked without calling anyone. I use it all the time.

kiramon51

Oct 13, 2020
Visit site
On the Duo it is under networks, along with tethering. For AT&T it worked without calling anyone. I use it all the time.

I found it under Mobile Network in Networks/Internet -- i dont think it was there until i searched for it though to be honest (in the Settings Search bar)...

Anyways, it lets you choose which to priotize (hint: in my house it HAS to be wifi first because i have connection it just sucks).

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by kiramon51
Originally Posted by settelma

I found it under Mobile Network in Networks/Internet -- i dont think it was there until i searched for it though to be honest (in the Settings Search bar)...

But you're not on Verizon are you? I don't think any of these approaches that work apply to Verizon users. I think Verizon needs to update their network to accept the Duo for Wi-Fi calling.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss