Closing surface duo doesn't lock the screen anymore

Hazuos

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
At first, there were bugs when opening or closing duo.
When opening, the wallpaper wouldn't be displayed. Then when closing the duo, the screens would stay on.
After the first two days of use, things got better and more consistent, mainly because I figured the gestures, and felt things actually worked pretty well!
Then, today the duo won't lock when closing it, ever. It could be a new issue. Or I missed something in the settings. I tried pretty much everything and haven't found yet any solution.
It is not a big deal because you can press the power button and it locks but felt so right in the gesture open/close which is obviously the point of such a device.

Anyone with the same issue? Any ideas of what may cause the pb?

brau0303

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Have you enabled the feature that will keep the device unlocked when either you are in a specific location have trusted accessory connected or on your person. There is a function that will do this (I think it's either under Google or Security settings.

Cheers,
BR

Hazuos

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Not that either. It must be one of those things that could require a factory reset... I will wait and see if future updates will fix this minor problem. Thanks again!

gegenfunf

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
For me, the issue was caused by using the Link to PC and Phone Screen. If you don't disconnect the Phone Screen properly, the phone won't lock when closed. To fix, I had to reconnect my phone to the PC, connect the Phone Screen, then click Disconnect on either the PC Your Phone App or on your phone. After that, the lock should work again. This reddit helped me: https://www.reddit.com/r/surfaceduo/comments/iqk8r3/not_locking_on_close/

Hazuos

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot Gegenfunf, it works now! Following the steps provided on reddit was the only way to properly fix it. It makes sense that you have to disconnect manually from your phone app.
It seems like a tiny issue but it was so annoying and it feels much better now.

This helped me learn how to navigate in the settings as I am new to Android.
And now reddit is on my homescreen.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The instructions on reddit did not work for me, nor did trying to cast the phone to something else. (Which was the other listed fix.)

I know there's nothing wrong with the hardware side of it because if I manually lock the screen, the "peek" responds to both opening and closing.

I do suspect a bug.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
So do I understand that the fix is to not use You Phone App?

Honestly I'm not sure. It has helped some but not me personally. What I ended up doing was setting the lock screen to 1 minute so that even if the screen doesn't turn off immediately it'll lock within a reasonable amount of time.

Edit: Oh for the love of....

Setting up your phone entirely again, then disconnecting using the little phone button on my computer is what eventually fixed it. I had cleaned every corner and reset every related app I could think of and none of that helped. Even pulled off the bumper for a bit. (It went right back on without fuss. I take it this isn't a problem so long as you don't get the adhesive dirty.)

Weird bug. At least I'll know what to do if somebody asks about it. (Though to be fair, the folks going for non-carrier devices either get alternate versions of common phones, or already know what they're doing for most anything other than cdmaless.)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire