Surface Duo as a Phone -- Poor phone reception?

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I've only been using it a few days, so maybe just unlucky, but I definitely seem to have no signal on my Duo in places where I had a weak but definitely usable signal on my Samsung Galaxy S10. Is anyone else finding this? This is on Verizon, so Wi-Fi calling apparently isn't an option either. I must admit, "ability to make and receive calls" wasn't even on my list of factors with the Duo, but only because I just assumed it would be as good as any other phone.

I did need to have Verizon turn on "CDMA-less" so I could receive texts. Maybe that blocks me from roaming on some older CDMA towers, thereby killing my signal in those areas? I asked Verizon about that at the time, and they assured me that it would have no adverse effects, but we all know their phone support people aren't always as knowledgeable as they pretend to be.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to toggle VoLTE off and see if you are able to make phone calls?

Nope, wouldn't work. Verizon was (is?) a CDMA/LTE hybrid. We have no GSM to speak of. If the phone can't see 1X or EVDO, it can't do 3G. That's that.

He was most likely hitting 1xRTT on his previous phone, which most of the 4G phones VZW sells can still see/use, but any phone classified as CDMAless can *only* use VoLTE. This isn't a "block" so much as a limitation of the phone. It was probably left out because it's late enough in the 1x game that they'd be spending a whole lot of money for a very limited return.

To be honest, I wish I had an answer for this situation but I really don't. For what it's worth 1X/3G are being retired to make room for more LTE. So in theory it should work....someday. Us reps aren't given an exact ETA, and the changeover has been delayed at least once before. :( (Last winter.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills