Gifs received as jpg's?

SnakePlisskin

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
I can't seem to receive gifs. I tested this by sending gifs to myself and the one received is not animated. I save both to the phone and of course the animated one is a gif, the non animated one is a jpg. People send me gifs and they are received as non animated jpg's.

I tried different messaging apps and got the same result. So it seems carrier realted or duo related. Anyone else having this issue?

I do have verizon and had to call them to mark my line as CDMA-less to get messaging to even work on the duo. Would that have anything to do with it?

SnakePlisskin

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Called Verizon and all they would say is "We cannot guarantee SMS / MMS working as expected when someone is using an unlocked phone on our network." So thats cool. Makes me want to switch back to AT&T again. Verizon told me to call Microsoft.

The person was very helpful though, I mean they did really try to help me - just disappointing when they said they said that. Made it sound like they don't care if you have an unlocked phone - they wont help.

I mean I get it though, theres so many different kinds of unlocked phones out there these days but wow.

SnakePlisskin

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Works fine for me on ATT
Thanks.

I am thinking about switching to ATT but want to know if anyone else is having this issue and what network they are on. It doesn't sound like many people are having this issue. Found a few on Reddit but I don't know what network they were on. So doesn't seem widespread or anything.

Verizon has been zero help with this too.

Harveysjag

Oct 7, 2020
Visit site
animated gifs work on mine, I have Verizon. Your right, if you have an unlocked phone, carriers use the "we can't guarantee it will work on our network" thing. I had that problem when I had an unlocked phone on ATT. SO I switched. Recently I received an email from Verizon saying there were changes to my plan when I started using the Duo. It said that they were removing video calling from my plan. I called for assistance and was told they could not change it to add it again because it was not an option on my Duo. They told me to call microsoft. Just for fun I tried making a video call on google and it worked. So it stands as is. The option is removed but still works.

saloei

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried T-Mobile? I've been using them since 2015 when the Lumia 950XL came out. That was the year I left Verizon. I've been using unlocked phones with them ever since and use all available features my phones have.

SnakePlisskin

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
animated gifs work on mine, I have Verizon. Your right, if you have an unlocked phone, carriers use the "we can't guarantee it will work on our network" thing. I had that problem when I had an unlocked phone on ATT. SO I switched. Recently I received an email from Verizon saying there were changes to my plan when I started using the Duo. It said that they were removing video calling from my plan. I called for assistance and was told they could not change it to add it again because it was not an option on my Duo. They told me to call microsoft. Just for fun I tried making a video call on google and it worked. So it stands as is. The option is removed but still works.

Glad to hear it works for a Verizon user. I was able to see gifs animating in everything but text messages no matter what app / keyboard (because apparently that can cause an issue too) I used.

Since Verizon as no help I called Microsoft and asked them if I could exchange the device and they said there was nothing wrong with my device after all of our troubleshooting so they said they cannot exchange it. So I figured I could just return it and order a new one.

I wanted to switch carriers but got to thinking and with my discount from work and the grandfathered plan I have with Verizon I really didnt want to switch.

So in the end I just returned the Duo. I freaking loved the phone but the people at Verizon who just didn't care about the issue and Microsoft - though tried to help - could not find an issue. I was so sure it was carrier related but maybe it wasn't? Anyways it was such a big hassle and yes, it was that important to me. I interact with young family memebers and we have fun texting gifs all the time.

So I will be on the lookout for a Duo 2 or will try a Duo again maybe some other time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett