Hinge grind

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A few days in and I'm already starting to notice a grind when opening/closing the device. And maybe I'm crazy, but the hinge actually feels stiffer since I got it. I can't tell if it's an actual problem because it only happens when I quickly open the device, and it feels fine when I open it slowly. I see others across the internet have reported the same issue. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm going to have to monitor this to see if it gets worse.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Don't suppose you tried some WD-40?

Joking aside, that doesn't sound good.... :grincry:

Hopefully, it doesn't get any worse.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My hinge is operating the same as day one with exception to the damage done when I *shudder* dropped the device. I would suggest some forced air to dislodge a small granular of whatever might be in there.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Got it back. Working "fine" although from what I've read the grind is going to come back. Still debating if I want to put the bumpers back on. It only took a week but wow I didn't realize how much I would miss it. A single screen just felt... slower. I didn't realize how quickly I adjusted to using apps side-by-side until it was taken from me. Honestly, given the fire sale prices, I'm tempted to buy a backup Duo. And as a tech nerd that likes weird phones, I take a little joy in knowing that I'm one of the veeeeeery few people that have a folding phone. Yes, Samsung has a foldable, but given the price, it's certainly not selling in tremendous numbers yet. And as a whole, folding devices aren't flying off the shelves. So, for the time being, it's nerdy cool being unique.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Annnnnnnd now my left screen is dead. :evil:

Man, I am just not having any luck with the Duo. The screen just flashes white with black bars across it. Whelp, back it goes.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I lubed the hinge. Yup, I finally got so fed up with the hinge grind that I'd decided to trade in my Duo to Best Buy for a quick $400 bucks. I was pricing out stuff to buy and couldn't find anything I wanted more than a Duo, so before I threw in the towel, I decided to go for the Hail Mary and lube the hinge.

All I had was the lube that came with my hair clippers. Maybe that's not the lube the experts would recommend, but at that point, I was too frustrated with the grind to even care. On each side, I dripped a few drops into the top and bottom of the hinge; making sure not to tilt the device to keep lube from spreading everywhere. Then I repeatedly folded the screens to further coat the gears.

It worked. :shocked:

Granted, it isn't as smooth as when I first unboxed it. Still, I can barely notice whatever grind is left. I don't know if there will be any long term affects (especially if I have to do this again in a few months). But for now, a little bit of lube was much cheaper than buying a Duo 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon