Thoughts now that the Duo 2 is official

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Definitely an upgrade. The camera alone will alleviate one of the biggest complaints regarding the Duo and that's the display switching required for the rear camera. NFC and the larger battery are nice upgrades as well though the 90Hz display and the 5G modem will negate any amp/hr increases. I'm not too wild about the SD888 chip since it's known to throttle on other devices wearing it. I will more than likely stick with 60Hz display and toggle 5G off as I do on all my 5G devices to save on battery. T-Mobile 5G is pretty useless in Miami due to congestion so I'm really not missing anything.

Oh, did I mention the Obsidian Black looks killer? I haven't owned a device with that color/name since my Palm Treo Pro from the WinMo days.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I mentioned this in one of the articles, but as a Duo 1 owner, I'm actually not that jealous of the Duo 2. A lot of the Duo 2 would be wasted on me. I don't use NFC. I don't use my camera to capture important moments. The curved screen for notifications is pretty darn cool, but I keep my phone on silent and use my watch for notifications. And I'm not a power user so the 855 is fine to me. But what MS has done in such a small form factor is pretty amazing. In fact, what I'm probably most jealous of is the improved hinge (assuming it also doesn't start to grind like the Duo 1). I would have enjoyed a higher refresh rate, but a bigger hinge and 90Hz isn't worth trading my Duo 1. And while I haven't seen a Duo 2 in person, I still like the clean look of the Duo 1 more.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I mentioned this in one of the articles, but as a Duo 1 owner, I'm actually not that jealous of the Duo 2. A lot of the Duo 2 would be wasted on me. I don't use NFC. I don't use my camera to capture important moments. The curved screen for notifications is pretty darn cool, but I keep my phone on silent and use my watch for notifications. And I'm not a power user so the 855 is fine to me. But what MS has done in such a small form factor is pretty amazing. In fact, what I'm probably most jealous of is the improved hinge (assuming it also doesn't start to grind like the Duo 1). I would have enjoyed a higher refresh rate, but a bigger hinge and 90Hz isn't worth trading my Duo 1. And while I haven't seen a Duo 2 in person, I still like the clean look of the Duo 1 more.

Well, at least I'm not alone here. I really like what they've done for the second iteration, that notification bar on the spine is amazing....but I tend to make my phones last and I'm also not the type to trade in my phone and unless there was some freakishly awesome deal to do that. I also like how the first one folds flat so for now, there's no real reason for me to jump. I early adopted last time, and by the end they'd discounted the darn thing so much I ended up feeling kind of silly.

However... I did have my port crack and have the screen on the right start acting goofy, which needed a replacement by the time that was over with. So part of me does want to make the leap. It's just a really expensive leap. LOL And stereo speakers are nice.

This isn't an iPhone, so it's not unreasonable to wait a few months and see if the price takes a dip.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Duo 2 builds upon Duo 1 nicely and addresses all my gripes with Duo 1. I'm definitely purchasing Duo 2 when on sale at Best Buy. Obsidian black.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts? I learned my lesson with Windows Phone / Windows Mobile. Hell will freeze over before I buy another MS phone.

Gayle Lynn

Jan 6, 2018
Visit site
I need to see if Android 11 and 12.1 or hardware helps with pen input, screen orientation, and apps behave better.

Even this forum has trouble with full screen double height. Input fields blocked by hinge, layout of keyboard. Pen touch, is it the pen or the screen or how pen action is interpreted. I've tried Microsoft and two others, and Renaisser brand works best.

It's not all under Microsoft control except lagging on getting all the pieces to play well. Android apps are not well tailored to screen resolution independence.

Being stuck with two year old version of Android has held back Duo 1 as well as improved security.

Obviously to me an S21U is smoother faster and mature in both software (running Android 12 beta) and hardware. Shame Duo 2 won't have 12GB.

I think MS has a compelling product, whether like Samsung Fold it needs v. 3 to reach its potential, a device built after Android 12 and with next future Snapdragon SoC.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
My thoughts? I learned my lesson with Windows Phone / Windows Mobile. Hell will freeze over before I buy another MS phone.

Yap, definitely a consideration. However, I'm sick and tired of run of the mill android phones and hell will freeze over before I buy an Apple device. I refuse to be locked into the Apple eco system. My 950XL is still functioning as a media device in my car connected to TMo network, so not a total loss :) I welcome supporting alternatives to Samsung and Apple.

maddogmoffit

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I’m not buying a Duo until Microsoft has proven themself a reliable phone maker that updates old phones and not just drop them for new devices. The first Duo have had mainly bug fixes and security updates and those have been just bare bones for the last months waiting for Duo 2. That is behavior that Chinese manufactors got rightly critized for a couple a years ago. It is a hard no until Microsoft starts to properly keep thier phones updated and offers improvement over time.

Gayle Lynn

Jan 6, 2018
Visit site
Got the Surface Slim Pen 2. No LED light. Can't charge it with Laptop 2 or Go 2 (and of course my Duo 1) surface devices.
No accessory other than the $65 Duo 2 case - - now not sure until mid November - - to charge it? That makes it $139 + $65.

My $39 Renaisser pen works on all my Surface devices. So save your $$ and has USBC to quick charge built-in.

I did find a charging device for Slim Pen 2 for $30 but out of stock. Will have try that.

Microsoft sent email 24 hours after it shipped and had already been delivered.

Cold feet on Duo 2.

Last edited:

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Upgrade for me. I use both the regular first two Surface pens but got the Surface Slim Pen 2 yesterday intending to get the pen case for Duo 2 to make the things I carry with me more condensed. Stereo speakers are a plus for my viewing and/or listening to things when I cook, the notification bar is nice but it doesn't really affect me, increased battery is great however might be offset by the refresh rate, faster processor, etc. I think I will use the Duo2 until version 4 or 5 (provided they continue to be released.). I would be happy to continue to use the current Duo1 if it were not for the Duo2's improvements.

Drooper

Oct 23, 2021
Visit site
I'm insulted by the fact that Microsoft is offering a maximum $475 for Surface Duo 1 trade-ins vs. up to $700 for other smartphones. Frankly, given the horrible camera and other functionality issues we've encountered, I think we should get a very attractive upgrade deal...like $400 max. Don't they owe us that for being so loyal throughout this mess?

Gayle Lynn

Jan 6, 2018
Visit site
Stability update was waiting for 2 am update.

Love aspect ratio for video, web. Option to open YouTube and others in dual screen mode when both screens are not populated.

Had to switch to Gboard.

The slopped edge blocks back buttons and taping. I prefer the flat Duo screen in that regard. Also content getting trapped and lost in that canyon is a problem.

Can't use my $130 Slim 2 without charger suuks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3