Thoughts on the Surface Go price?

Mozukortick

May 13, 2015
Visit site
It's too expensive. The tablet mode of windows is garbage, period! If anybody wants a tablet just for consumption and basic productivity/gaming, then it's Ipad. On the other hand typecover (which is not included) is a must to properly benefit from the desktop os environment. Additionaly base model has 64 gb emmc, it's going to be real pain to use that version. The middle version is $550, add typecover, it's $650. I don't see why should anybody buy it when there are still m3 surface pros with typecover are being sold for $699.

Lunati q

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
Seems more than reasonable considering their targeted competitor (iPad 9.7) costs just a bit less, isn't a full blown desktop-class tablet and doesn't include a stylus or keyboard either. Even with a keyboard, the iPad can't use a trackpad so there's that too.

I think ipad is more reasonable. The ipad is cheaper than the GO's base model. Also many would say that the 400$ model is unusable because if that SUPER SLOW storage speed and the ram. If you want to upgrade its 550$. The 2018 ipad upgraded model is still only 400$ and still comes with alot of power. A touchpad may seem necessary, but when you have a fully touchscreen os built for using touch imput, you will be just fine.

Lunati q

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
People who don't appreciate quality always say it costs too much. Buy cheap if you want cheap. The build quality is what drives the price up, much like the PixelBook. They did skimp a bit on the processor and RAM type to get the price down as much as they could, but if that bothers you, upgrade. We're not even sure it's a problem at this point. My Surface 3 with eMMC and an Atom still runs acceptably with the latest insidr bits on it. For me the Surface quality at a smaller size is what sells it. I'll be getting one to take over from my Surface 3, but am waiting for LTE. As far as bundling a keyboard and/or pen, that wouldn't come without a price increase, and then people would be complaining they don't need it so it should be cheaper. That happened for the original Surface RT. It was bundled with a black keyboard and folks complained. For this you can buy a $30 BT keyboard and a third party pen if you think the MS ones are too pricey.

The build quality doesnt justify that price. Ipads are known for build quality and cost almost 100$ less. I mean just, look at the bezels on the surface go.

Lunati q

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
$400 is mac like premium pricing for the education market. $400 would be ok if it included the keyboard and stylus. Or at worst, one or the other. $300 is the education sweet spot btw according to market research; people are willing to forgo at $200 crappy chromebook and spend the extra $100 to get a real computer, but not a bottom basement one spec wise, when you can get essentially 10 times the hd space (500 GB) with a keyboard in any budget laptop under $400 right now. The pricing is for R&D and premium status - except there is no r&d needed and the bezels and lack of lte by default do not make it premuim. I love Surface, but this is uninspired, a year too late and overpriced. Sorry, but fail.

Couldnt agree more

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Should come up with a unique kick stand that can be used both in portrait and landscape mode.

Would love kickstand in portrait mode to do some typing on using screen keyboard and in landscape mode for watching contents. Then a physical keyboard is irrelevant.

sebastianhalbig

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a bit too high for an entry level device (in case of the target customer group). Here in Germany it is priced at 450 Euro for the lowest version without any accessories. You can get other devices for even lower price points with accessories included so it's out of competition. IMO for this price it should at least include the type cover or the pen to succeed.

Cbarnhorst

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
The base price is right for a Surface device like this. A bundle price makes sense also. I probably would buy it if I didn't already have a Surface Pro 4 and accessories.

bh7171

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
It's too expensive for the target market of education. Both Apple and Microsoft fail to understand the genius, simplicity, and economical value of a Chromebook and students needs. Consider the 2 in 1 Chromebook offerings from Acer and Lenovo. The Lenovo 300e will do everything a student needs and you can simply use a standard pencil on the durable screen. It can withstand drops and spills and can be had for less than 250. IT for school districts can secure and set up easily. Until Apple and Microsoft can figure out how to compete they will continue to fall farther and farther behind in the educational market they are attempting to claw back into.

tflash

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
Only problem is the tablet mode on W10 is a nightmare, and in 2018 it's just embarrassing to release 64GB device, half of which will be the OS itself.

That's why the keyboard is so important. Also, it's 32GB that is a problem for Win10, 64GB is ok as long as you can use cloud apps and storage and add memory with an SD card.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I would love for the price to be lower. I'm looking at $1100, give or take, because I'm going to need the dock and have to upgrade to Win 10 Pro.

But then I have to remember some of the other computers I've bought. I spent about $6K on a Toshiba Portege with an 8" color screen (VGA, I think), RAM in the MB (unless it was still 640K or less), and a hard drive in the MB. That was in mid-1990s dollars, too.

Unfortunately, I think most of my hobbies are like Barbie dolls. The initial cost is a drop in the bucket compared to all the accessories, whistles, and bells that I want to make the experience "just so."

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
The price would have been ok if the entry version would have a SSD instead of eMMC. If it would have an ssd, than the 4gb memory would also been less of a pain. While the 550 version is a bit to much for a tablet. I think this is dumb move of Microsoft, since people buying the 400 version will be disappointed by the mostly likely the lag that will occur on those devices, which will result in a mediocre experience for a device supposed to be a premium tablet (of course not a pro tablet but a tablet that at least does all the basic things & background processes like updates smooth and fast like ipad 2017/2018 does).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean by getting your apps back?

I bought apps when I was using Windows 10 Mobile that also worked on PC and as of now, I just own them and I can't use them so that's what I mean. I don't have any Windows 10 devices at all currently. When I had the Surface Pro, it was nice to be able to use some of those again and also explore other apps I have heard about, like paint.net. I actually bought that one too so it would be good to make use of what I bought lol.